• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Will I Be Able To?

mochi90

Update: 

On my way home from the group. The staff there say they are legally required to call me by my deadname. I'm really upset. 

Oh, yikes. I'm sorry to hear that. That would definitely be upsetting.

I wonder, are they legally required to use every client's full given name? They are forbidden from calling people by their preferred nicknames and diminutives? Seems like a strange policy, and a difficult one to enforce.

You'll get through it. Don't forget who you are. That name is no longer yours, even if it stick to the bottom of your shoe once in a while.

I'd challenge the "legality" of using your legal name by calling your state's Vulnerable Adult hotline.  That kind of stubborn resistance to your wishes would be considered emotional abuse in my state for cisgender and transgender alike.  Your chart probably needs to use your legal name but I see no reason why they couldn't use your preferred name when addressing you just as they would use "Bob" instead of Robert or even a nickname.  https://ocfs.ny.gov/main/psa/

• Forum Moderator

While the staff may have to use your legal name on paperwork or records you should be able to use any "nickname" you choose.

In the meantime take a deep breath and read up about changing your legal name.  That will be part of your transition at some point if you continue transition.  As transgender people we all sometimes have to deal with gender issues regarding our past.  Try to accept what comes and work with it.  It takes time.  You are not alone.

Hugs,

Charlize

So I decided that I'm going to have my LGBT therapist talk to the supervisor of the group home and tell them that deadnaming is detrimental to my mental health. And if they don't listen, then I'm going to report them for mental and emotional abuse.