• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

HRT effects?

Julie J

I haven't been on hormones for very long - 5 months - but I have noticed something very different now as far as being nervous or fearful... I'm nether any more. It's weird how calm and relaxed I am, whether in male mode or Julie mode. I just don't feel apprehensive about anything. I'm no longer afraid when in situations that used to be terrifying! I know part of this is because I have pushed myself to be myself and have bulldozed my way through the paralyzing fear, but my calmness and comfort levels are off the chart! Nothing rattles me anymore. I'm glad for my new state of peacefulness but intellectually it makes no sense. Emotionally I am up and down and that makes sense as transitioning is a huge change in thinking and living as I realign my life from male to female. This new calm is, I believe, one of the effects of my HRT and has only been very noticeable to me for about a month. Other people have commented on how happy and relaxed I am now and when I present as my authentic self, as Julie, I am far happier and much more relaxed! Has anyone else had this sense of peacefulness become their normal state of mind and being after being on hormones for a while? The only other explanation I can come up with is that my gender dysphoria was far more severe than I had ever been aware of and now that I have embraced and accepted my transgenderism (is that even a real word?) my dysphoria has begun to evaporate as I transition. I just feel the absolute "rightness" of being myself, my female self. Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this new state of being... it's an amazing journey we're on.

Hugs & Smiles 

Julie J 

Peacefulness...calm...yes. I attribute it to the combination of being out and the lack of testosterone. I noticed it right after starting Spiro, when I was still on low E, and it came back when I had to stop HRT for a few months. Of course, there's a mental/psychological component to moving forward, but for me the equanimity with which I move through the world now has a LOT to do with HRT. 

I notice it every day driving to work. It used to be that I'd be irritated and angry if a light went red right as I got there. Now, I just shrug and don't worry about it. That's an obviously trivial example, but you get the idea. Irritation tends to roll off me like water off a duck's back.

Glad that you're experiencing some of the same. It makes life far easier doesn't it?

You are both very lucky to have this reaction. Mine mirrors that at times. But they are definitely overshadowed by the insanity I normally feel. My driving as you mentioned is no better. I still flip out at bad drivers daily. I tend to upset friends regularly. I really don’t feel too much different in that regard. 

I will say my confidence and my ability to deal with strangers are both far better. I can understand when things are bothering people and why as well. But I still have no control over not making the same mistakes. 

My wife and most friends do say I am better. But other friends say I’m worse. It’s like my triggers have changed. But I still have plenty of triggers. Maybe it’s going to take me longer. Things usually do. My brain tends to work too fast and I miss out on subtleties. Which in turn makes for a slower emotional curve. It also creates a LOT of open mouth insert foot moments. Lolol 

someday. 

Kirsten. 

• Admin

From the perspective of a nine year HRT veteran, it sounds like the 'mones are doing a good job for all.  WPATH SOC 7 puts the onset of changes at 3 - 6 months and finish of the changes at 3 - 6 years from patient / doctor reports, so be happy and take your time.  I have never gotten over putting my foot in my mouth, but even there my humor about it is better, and less prone to lasting feelings of shame or embarrassment. 

While I was on oral meds I did develop a calendar cycle of about 14 days into the cycle having a day or two of being a bit short on the temper and acidic if my temper was triggered.  14 days after that I went through about 48 hours of being extremely touchy and wanting to isolate to keep from being triggered, and could have crying jags.  Yes -- for whatever reason, it was a non-menstruating menstrual cycle with PMS thrown in.  (My friends on injectables lived injection to injection and had a different cycle.)

My current day patches do not have quite the same effect on me mood wise, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!!  

• Forum Moderator
3 hours ago, Julie J said:

Nothing rattles me anymore.

This is great!  I think it comes from the confidence we have once we cut loose from the binds that held us for so long.  Also, I think coming out forces us to expose parts of ourselves that we hid because of fear.  Yet we find there is really no reason for the fear.  It is empowering. 

Jani

• 4 months later...
On 9/13/2018 at 11:42 AM, VickySGV said:

While I was on oral meds I did develop a calendar cycle of about 14 days into the cycle having a day or two of being a bit short on the temper and acidic if my temper was triggered.  14 days after that I went through about 48 hours of being extremely touchy and wanting to isolate to keep from being triggered, and could have crying jags

I'm this way all the time without Mones, is that odd?

• Admin
1 hour ago, JimmieJasmine said:

Ii don't know if you are on HRT and have been stopped, or are pre HRT, but  if you are having mood problems, do check with your doctor ASAP.  Only competent medical personnel and say whether it is odd for you.  Sorry.

On 9/13/2018 at 11:42 AM, VickySGV said:

While I was on oral meds I did develop a calendar cycle of about 14 days into the cycle having a day or two of being a bit short on the temper and acidic if my temper was triggered.  14 days after that I went through about 48 hours of being extremely touchy and wanting to isolate to keep from being triggered, and could have crying jags

Hi Vickie,

Thanx 4 the concern.  I have been to several Endocrinologist over the years.  I popped nodules in my nipples and began growing Breasts at 16!!  No pre, on, or post mones, and I've just always gotten like that for a day or 3 EVERY Month omgosh.  

My straight friends and coworkers used to say I was menstruating and swear by it, even my family.

Doctors still have no idea after extensive testing including MRI why I dump so much natural estrogen, was and am aptly fertile as a man, no ovaries.

This is a bitter issue about the Medical field for me.  They assume something is wrong 1st, maybe I'm beautiful just as I am, and tests to cure me my feminine traits, attributes, mind, body seem hurtful and possibly ignorance on Providers sensitivity to assume my Transgender can be cured.  

Also, there is a very credible possibility my menstrual moods are dysphoric feelings.  Then again it might just be who I am.  I isolate too for those day or 3 until it passes.

I think so many doctors do not understand us.  The doctors didn't even think to ask if I wanted to keep my breasts!  Just made an ignorant or phobic knee jerk decision to pressure my parents for removal.  Scary.  Glad I'm out now about being Intersex Transgender mtf.

I should get my Hormones levels looked at again.  I begin HRT soon.

Absolutely right, never hurts to get checked by an appropriate Doctor.  I will later research your site for info on Providers here in Texas until I move somewhere more trans safe & friendly.  Any suggestions?