• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Old terms vs. new terms?

GothicLucas

Hello! I'm really fascinated by how the language we use to describe ourselves has evolved over time, and how generations seem to use different terms. When I was in high school in the early 2000's, we had "genderqueer" and the only pronouns I knew of were ze/hir. Nowadays we call those people nonbinary, and it's acceptable for people to literally make up their own personal pronouns. And I've even had young people come up and tell me they know all the popular "neo-pronouns" but have never heard of ze/hir!

Through this forum, a few years ago, I learned about the word "transgenderist." Nowadays, we would just say that person is transgender with no bottom dysphoria, or if meant in an unkind way, one might call them a transtrender instead. Also, it seems that among the older generation, crossdressers are considered transgender. Young people make a strict distinction that crossdressers are not transgender, but I think they may have limited knowledge of what crossdressing actually means to many people who do it.

Even in the mere 4 years since I started this journey in 2014, the vocab has changed. People used to insist that genderqueer and nonbinary were two different things, and "neutrois" was falling into favor as another option. Terms like "masculine of center" were common back then but almost unheard of now. I never completely understood what masculine of center meant, but I think it was for afab people who identified as women, but not as cis women, because they felt manly on the inside and incorporated some of this into their gender expression. And you could have feminine of center men, of course. Once again, nowadays we'd just call those people nonbinary.

Do you have anything to add? I think this is a lot of fun.

I do have one question about the word "androgyne." It doesn't seem to be used much by young people (mostly teens), but it seems to bear some  greater significance among people who transitioned some decades past. Was it used to describe a specific subset of people, similar to the "masculine of center" usage? To me it just means "both man and woman at once," but I wondered if it originally referred to people who transitioned and then took a step back and straddled the line between man and woman, or anything like that.

If this isn't fun or interesting for you, please don't feel obligated to post. I'm also really sorry if  this offends anyone, because none was intended! I know that there are some trans people who are strictly women or men, and that there's nothing fun about the transgender experience for some people.

This is such an interesting topic! I tend to take the perspective that any word a person wants to use to describe themself is fine with me. Interestingly, when I hear the term transsexual, my first emotional response is that it's a derogatory word or slur (though it's clear to me that many people don't feel that way-- I think part of it may be the area I grew up in and the fact that I heard the word used in a negative way so often). I think that there's definitely a generational difference between terms people use, as well as maybe geographical differences. I clearly remember growing up in Kansas and feeling strongly that "queer" was a slur, then I moved to a different community that used the term to self-identify and decided I really liked it. 

I'm fairly young (coming up on 30) and before I came out I sometimes used "masculine-of-center." I still don't feel that I have a great grasp on all the different terms people have started using (like neutrois). 

I love watching language evolve, though I feel like most cis people I talk to feel completely overwhelmed and intimidated by it all, and they're always scared of saying the wrong thing. 

• Forum Moderator

I've mentioned this before in one of my earlier posts.  For many years, I attended at weekly meeting at the Seattle Counseling Service on Capitol Hill back in the mid-1980's.  Maybe a few of you here were members with me back then. It was a wonderful group and I still really miss the friends I made.  The TV/TS group consisted of 15 and sometimes 20 regulars.  Every few weeks, we always had a few new visitors and sometimes a guest speaker.  It was a much simpler time as there was only really thought to be 3 groups; questioning, transexual (TS), or transvestite (TV). By the time I moved and had to stop attending the group, they had already stopped using the term "transvestite" and replaced it with the label "crossdresser".  Fast forward 30+ years...it's all changed.

Susan R?

Just now, Susan R said:

I've mentioned this before in one of my earlier posts.  For many years, I attended at weekly meeting at the Seattle Counseling Service on Capitol Hill back in the mid-1980's.  Maybe a few of you here were members with me back then. It was a wonderful group and I still really miss the friends I made.  The TV/TS group consisted of 15 and sometimes 20 regulars.  Every few weeks, we always had a few new visitors and sometimes a guest speaker.  It was a much simpler time as there was only really thought to be 3 groups; questioning, transexual (TS), or transvestite (TV). By the time I moved and had to stop attending the group, they had already stopped using the term "transvestite" and replaced it with the label "crossdresser".  Fast forward 30+ years...it's all changed.

Susan R?

That's so interesting! Until I read your comment I had never really understood the distinction between the way transsexual and transvestite were used. 

Whilst it is obviously great that people can have the language to accurately identify themselves, as a newcomer to transgender society, I find the number of different categories a bit bewildering.  The are now so many gender identities, that it seems that every individual can create their own gender. 

This has definitely caused a negative effect among cis people, as many do not take the idea of so many genders seriously.  I have to admit that I am not totally convinced that all of the identities are valid.

Robin.

I get that viewpoint, but because no one of us is the arbiter of what is and isn't real, and what is and isn't transgender, it is vital that we accept and include all branches of the trans family tree, regardless of our personal opinions.

If we can't accept and love one another, and one another's identities, how can we expect cis folks to accept and love us? Inclusion begins with us.

Fortunately, we don't have to know every single new term in order to embrace them all. We just have to have an attitude of love and acceptance.

See, here's the thing. Only YOU get to decide if your identity is valid. Other people can think, what they want, say what they want and question it however they like, but NO ONE can tell you how you feel better than you.

This isn't about making people comfortable or having them embrace us. And this surely is not about deciding who's valid and who isn't because who's the judge and what justifies them deciding who's valid?

If we want people to believe us when we say we identify a certain way than we need to believe others doing the same thing in a slightly different way.

I certainly agree with what both of you have said, and I am not suggesting that anyone should disrespect another person's identity.  However, I still find gender identities such as helicopter or science fiction character difficult to understand.  Some of these things may well be valid identities, but not necessarily gender identities.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the most masculine is male, and the most feminine is female.  I believe that any gender must be somewhere between these two extremes.  I also accept that some people do not identify with either gender, but that doesn't mean that they can say that their gender is a vacuum cleaner, or some other random object.

I am sorry if my views are offensive, and I am happy to be corrected if my observations are wrong.

Robin.

I understand, Robin. I'm certainly not upset at you personally. I just find the idea of deciding on whether someone else's identity is valid to be problematic. 

That being said, I had not seen helicopter or science fiction character as gender identities. Those are interesting. Are those real ones or just hypotheticals? I'd be interested in details if you have any. Seems fascinating!

I try not to concern myself with understanding someone else's identity, but rather focusing on supporting them and learning from them. I also think that focusing on extremely rare corner cases (vacuum cleaner, helicopter, etc) is not terribly productive. Who does it hurt and how often is it actually relevant other than to the person involved? If it makes them happy and doesn't hurt anyone else, then I'm good. ?

"I identify as an attack helicopter" is a common joke amongst transphobes on the internet, the idea being if trans people can identify as something other than the gender assigned at birth, anyone can identify as anything. It's a way of amusing themselves by mocking us, and a way of robbing us of our right to identify as we please by making the notion appear ludicrous.

As a reaction to this behavior, some trans people on the internet have begun playfully claiming to identify as flowers or sandwiches or fictional characters.

These actions are not to be confused with actual identities.

• Forum Moderator

That argument just shows the lack of understanding as these folks typically pick something a human could not be, like a helicopter or an animal.  We are not changing our human form, but just our identity (which is personal) and expression (which the public sees).  

I agree with all of you to some extent. I wonder about some of the people I've run across, and some of the identities and pronouns. But I think it's so important to make sure that everyone feels validated and supported. Gatekeeping runs the risk of keeping out people who really need our community. I would rather let a few legitimately bad eggs in...they'll drop the pretense someday, anyway. True, they're not good for publicity, but being trans isn't a show for the pleasure of non-trans people.

Going back to the original topic, I had not thought about there being regional differences as well as generational ones, but I definitely see it now. Very fascinating.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 76 Guests (See full list)

• AllieJ
    • JoniSteph
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Justine76
    Newest Member
    Justine76

1. April Marie
      April Marie
    2. daniela...
      daniela...
      (59 years old)
    3. Emily May
      Emily May
    4. Felixr
      Felixr
      (20 years old)
    5. Leann
      Leann
      (56 years old)
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      I think many Christians end up with a false dichotomy.  If we didn't choose to be how we are, then something in our environment did it. Is going along with it a sin?  Maybe.  But if so, its one of those times where we mess something up no matter what we do.  Part of the imperfect nature of this fallen world is that there are times where we'll sin no matter what we do.  In a no-win scenario like that, we do the wisest thing possible with our free will. 
    • EasyE
      This is the crux of my anguish these many, many months (years!) and where I go back-and-forth with my own journey ... I was born a biological male. No denying that in my case. But I have a lot of internal feminine leanings and external ones, too. I prefer to wear women's clothes 100 percent of the time (if I could). I wish I had the female plumbing. I long for that badly sometimes. I don't know why or where that came from but no denying that either. I have started HRT because I like the idea of having a more feminine physical body and some of the "perks" that go with that. I just asked my doc to up my dose to the next level today!   So the big question I ask myself is: am I knowingly disobeying God, who likes order and made humans male and female, by taking these steps? This is my wife's take on things. "You are sinning. You know God made you a male biologically. Yet you are willfully pursuing transition to being something God didn't intend you to be regardless of what you feel inside, what your preferences are, etc."  I keep trying to tell her it's much more complex than that but sometimes I don't even know what I think...   This ties up in knots and makes me angry and makes me feel stuck!!! I don't want to disobey my Creator and Savior and yet I have this strong, strong leaning toward the feminine in many ways (that keeps getting stronger and refuses to go away no matter how much I have tried to stuff it away!!) ... It feels like misery no matter which path I take - if I "give in" to the feminine, which I have been doing a lot the past 12 months or so, am I endangering my soul? Am I creating scandal? Yet the thought of putting the feminine aside feels, at times, like death too (or is it just me being self-centered and unwilling to bend the knee to my Creator who would ask me to give this up as a testament to my love for him...   I don't know. I don't know. I don't know!! But sometimes I really really F***ing hate this quandary... 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      We use a ton of Harbor Freight stuff here.  They have pretty good warranty, too, I guess.  GF beats all heck out of sockets and things, and if she takes them back they get replaced for free.  Harbor Freight was junk 20 years ago, but its really good now.  Craftsman used to be good 20 years ago, but now its junk (but they still want to charge made-in-the-usa prices).  Dewalt is now Chinese also, when it used to be made in Germany.  Older Dewalt tools are good, but GF got a really bad hand injury a few years ago from a Chinese Dewalt drill bit that shattered.  Some of the name brands just aren't what they used to be. 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Honestly, all the numbers are monkey math.  Doesn't matter who's in charge.  Trump kept crowing about the damn stock market, which didn't make a difference to normal people.  All the "job creation" is an illusion.  They consider it job creation when they take good full time jobs, and split them in half to "make" two part-time or temp jobs.  Not totally a Biden problem, as this has been going on for decades now.  Things *began* to get better under Trump.  A bit.  Maybe 8 years would have been better, but it wouldn't have fixed it.  Too much damage.    To me, Trump is a case of "too little, too late."  In my opinion, we need more - a true nationalist, with an aggressive and isolationist foreign policy.  And we needed him 50 years ago.  I want to see:   High import tariffs, a currency backed by precious metals, no more "climate" stuff and repudiation of all "accords" or other agreements, elimination of excess government agencies like the FBI and EPA, and total seizure of foreign-owned assets on US soil - with sale and disbursement of profits to our citizens.  And that would be a basic start.  Instead of "sanctions" to interrupt the trade of nations we don't like, Congress should instead issue letters-of-marque as described in the Constitution.  I'd like to see an alliance with Russia, and an end to nearly a century of useless conflict.    Trump won't do any of those things.  He's a sad, pale imitation of the leaders that founded our nation.     
    • KymmieL
      Well I got some terrible news today. My therapist is a doctoral intern at the VA. Her internship is ending the end of July. Normally interns just continue with the VA after their degree is done. However, VA has a hiring freeze on. So, I am going to loose one of the best therapists I have ever had. One that actually cares about me. I do have a few months till she leaves, Thankfully.   Other than that. my wife and youngest are both sick. Don't know if they got it worse that I had on Thurs/Friday. Or I am destine to get it too.   I've got tools that range from cheapy flea market stuff all the way up to high grade, Mac and Snap-on. Most have lasted me for quite a long time. I am diligently trying to keep my happy arse out or the Snap-on truck when he comes every Thurs. So far, I have resisted. But the temptation is there.   Kymmie
    • RaineOnYourParade
      IMO: If politicians stopped focusing on which bathrooms people were using and, you know, the actual issues of the country, maybe we could work on that 30+ trillion dollar debt of ours? Put more effort into international cooperation? Consider ways to improve education? Literally anything more productive than worrying about what's in some lady's pants you'll never meet?
    • VickySGV
      I have been thinking of this one a bit today since my first response here.  If you check out the relation that Peter had with Jesus and you can see that even Jesus was criticized for being who Jesus was by Peter.  In that relationship which I have come to think was more of a Chosen Family situation than genetic family,  Peter was telling Jesus who Peter thought Jesus should be. Especially when it came to Jesus being killed for what his true identity was.  Transgender is very much an issue of identity and not primarily about sexuality.  Sexuality is the BIG thing with certain religious groups and if you look at it, it is always about pro-creating kids into certain genealogies and making them new church members. 
    • Willow
      Good evening   @Adrianna Danielle wow 13 years out of a harbor freight tool.  That’s amazing, and lucky.  I read an article recently about how harbor freight does make inexpensive tools. It seems that some percentage of them are expected to fail in some manner.  However they are typically made with the same laborers  parts design as name brand high end tools.  If you get a good one it can last for a long time.
    • Adrianna Danielle
      Needed,my 3/4 drive air impact is about to give out.Bought it from Harbor Freight 13 years ago and got my money out of it
    • MaeBe
      Happy anniversary @Willow!   Good luck, @Birdie!   Congratulations on the new gear @Adrianna Danielle!   My family is currently considering a big move. My wife applied for and received an offer for a job in WA. If all things are equal I am down for a change of scenery, but it’s not that simple. Much maths are about to happen…wish me luck! ;)
    • MaeBe
      Or they could live and let live and not clog the courts with games of roulette? To absolve the attempt based on a perceived chance of success is gambling in another guise.   Sure, it could all be marketing to gin up the base, but we see it constantly getting pushed at the local, State, and Federal levels. Don’t we want lawmakers focused on issues of import? Maybe we’re a distraction, but that means we become social targets. If we’re really just a side show game to them, they obviously don’t give a damn what the repercussions are for us; we’re just lambs for slaughter. So why support people or adjacent policies that do that to us? Why believe these jaguars won’t eat your face when they tell you that, if they can, they will?
    • Sorourke
      Thank you so much, hugs Stefi 
    • MaeBe
      Manufacturing jobs have increased by nearly 800k since Biden’s inauguration. Deficits and debt are up as well, which water down some of the positive metrics.  Given the fact we were coming out of a pandemic and then into a global economy affected by a Russian aggression and then a war in the Middle East, things wouldn’t be ideal. But we’re not on a gold standard anymore. Government budgets aren’t household budgets. Inflation was up but is coming down, which means that government spending isn’t uncontrolled.  Honest news media? Which news are we referring to? I recommend looking into Ground.news and their blind spot feature. It will show you, regardless of your leanings, what you’re not seeing in your typically consumed news.    MAGA is not about making America great again or otherwise. It’s a marketing cult for populist conservatism, aka the cult of Trump. America being great is not bad or a bad idea, but its choice as the moniker of the campaign is not-so-subtle political marketing. By default, no one wants to argue against the idea, however it creates a dichotomy where “the other side must not want (or is actively trying to destroy) it”. It’s an empty slogan because America was no greater during the Trump years and you can logically argue our global cache was diminished during his term, which was marked by sentiment of the US being a unilateral agitator. 
    • missyjo
      smiles I think I need to help him find a way to simply love others, regardless of identifying with them or understanding their journey..but I thought I recall stories of Jesus being asked which of 10 laws were greatest..n the answer being 1. God us God n have no other gods you worship..asking forgiveness to friends who practice religions with polydieties..but I think catholic say 1 god..n the 2nd rule is almost as important..love each other as I have loved you   maybe if I can focus him on we all believe God wants us to love n help each..maybe he'll forget the footnote he seems to be inserting, unless they are lgbt..then they go to hell...nerd   sorry probably too politically charged..delete if so with my apologies  hugs to all who want them
    • Mars Hiroshi
      So, I don't know what this is called, but it's kind of like when you see the boob bridging to the collarbone. I hate it. You can totally see I have a chest. How do I fix it and what is it called?   (I'm wearing an old gc2b binder I got from someone at school that is not my specific sizing, but it's all I can work with)
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.