• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Are binders uncomfortable and/or restricting?

dinoduck

I have Aspergers (a form of autism) and questioning if I am actually female. I was wondering if someone like me who gets really uncomfortable in bras and tight spaces would be negatively affected by binders.

• Admin

It's likely you would.  I had to help my ex-husband get out of his binder, because to serve their purpose they do have to be tight and restricting.  That being said, it's worth trying one out because I'm told they're restrictive in a different way than most clothing, so you may actually be okay with it.  Especially if it alleviates your chest dysphoria.

1 hour ago, dinoduck said:

I have Aspergers (a form of autism) and questioning if I am actually female. I was wondering if someone like me who gets really uncomfortable in bras and tight spaces would be negatively affected by binders.

It is possible to pass as a man without wearing a binder, so it depends on the reason you would like to wear one. My oldest son is an Aspie/SPD hypersensitive, something tight like a hug (or a binder) would cause him to completely melt down.  If you want to wear one, and it fits your chest size, an OT may be able to work with you to learn to tolerate it.  It may also help to ask this question on an Aspie forum. If you choose not to wear one there are other options.  I pass as a man without a binder and I have a large chest (H).  I do it by layering my clothes, wearing bold attention getting colors on other parts of my body, wearing colorful shoes, heavily patterned shirts or camo.  You may find additional ideas in other posts.

• Admin

I agree that wearing binder is chancy for you, but as Dev said above, it may fit you snugly in a way that is assuring instead of confining. 

1 hour ago, Leo said:

I pass as a man without a binder and I have a large chest (H).  I do it by layering my clothes, wearing bold attention getting colors on other parts of my body, wearing colorful shoes, heavily patterned shirts or camo.  You may find additional ideas in other posts.

I am post everything I am going to do, as an MTF  and have B cups, but with the things Leo says here, I pass as a male as well which by now does not bother me as much as it once did.