• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First therapy session

Willow421

On Friday, December 14th, I will be attending my first therapy session with a gender counseller from Qmunity, a Vancouver-based non-profit that supports the LGBTQ community. I'm not sure what to expect but I hope the session will be the start an important discussion about how I perceive myself and what the future may hold for me. Times are interesting as I work through my gender dysphoria and a pending separation and divorce, which was going to happen anyways and was just accelerated by my spouse because I came out to her. Stress is high right now and I'm trying to manage this through exercise, medication, and staying in the NOW.

More to come ...

Willow

• Forum Moderator
8 hours ago, Willow421 said:

I'm not sure what to expect but I hope the session will be the start an important discussion

Expect to get the most out of the experience and you will.  Don't be bashful about telling your story and being honest.  My first appointment was a revelation.  I was extremely nervous going in but I talked so much and walked out feeling relieved and that I was on to something good.   

All my best, 

Jani

I went to my first therapy session on Friday and it went well, shared my story of how i got to today. Counsellor is a nice young man from the LGBTQ+ community. The most important take aways were: (1) take small steps and move forward slowly; (2) the Vancouver LGBTQ+ community will welcome me with open arms if I am willing to walk through the door; (3) I will be okay ... this is a process for me, my wife, my kids, my friends and everyone moves through the process in their own way and speed.

On visit him again on January 11th.

I met a colleague from one of the Boards of Directors I serve on after the appointment and told him about accepting and embracing my feminine side. He was great, a very positive and supportive reaction. Another person in the know, one small step ahead.

All in all this was a good day.

Willow

• Forum Moderator

I'm happy you went to this meeting and seemed to enjoy it.  Your counselors takeaways are true.  Take your time and expect to be embraced by others.  It is a process and like any process there steps you will work through.  Take time and savor each one. 

Jani