• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Uniform help

Kaidyn

So my school has this course (JROTC) and it is a military based classes to help citizens become better citizens (and are no way signing up for the military, navy or any of the sort.) I feel like a class like this would help me with my future career ( criminal profiling). The uniforms aren't too feminine, but I would still like a male's uniform (the females have tie tabs and a slightly different jacket while males have an actual tie). I don't necessarily want to come out to him. I know and trust the teacher, but I feel like he'd forget that I'm closeted (only to my family) and call me he/him while discussing with my parents something. I haven't started transitioning, because I'm closeted to my family, but I do go by a male name and I'm just really nervous. I've tried coming out to m parents a few months ago and they didn't react ideally. The told me I was confused, that it would all be over, and that it was just because I have trauma from being abused. Any tips on how to handle the uniform predicament or my parents?

• Forum Moderator

Hello and welcome Kaidyn.  First I would say the JROTC program probably has fairly rigid uniform rules so that they would not bend them for you. I would drop any idea of getting that changed.  As to your parents, this is a second issue that should be addressed separately.  You should talk to them again about how you feel and that this is not a confusion issue.  I can't offer much more information based upon what you've written. 

Cheers, Jani

• 1 month later...

When I took JROTC in my 9th grade year, my teacher was a retired army colonel (my school required it). I explained to him the very first day that I was more comfortable with the male uniform, mainly due to ease of use because of a physical problem. I told him that I couldn't wear the female uniform. He had no problem with it and was very understanding. 

Perhaps, go to your teacher and explain to them what's happening. Make sure to mention that you really want to take this class, but also tell him/her what would make you feel better and enjoy the class more. Do this while you still have an option to switch classes . 

As far your parents, give them time to process it. Don't hound them with the issue. My mother thought mine was a phase for a few years.