• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

MTF starting out later in life.

Clara_D

After years of making a hash of my life (depression, which I now realize is part dysphoria), and finally getting bipolar meds that actually do something for me (instead of umpteen different SSRI's that did nothing) I'm finally starting to be okay with myself and looking to start HRT (if I work up the courage to out myself to my doctor).

So, despite being middle aged, I'm only about a  month into figuring this all out.  I'm mainly here for learning more about what I've got myself into.

And  because I've been down the road of extreme depression, though I'm not really all that great at expressing myself sometimes,  I might be able to at least be a sympathetic ear.

• Forum Moderator

Hi Clara,

Welcome to Trans Pulse :)

You will find writings of lots of accumulated experience here and a friendly crowd. Please feel free to jump in and participate. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Tracy

On 3/29/2019 at 12:36 AM, Clara_D said:

After years of making a hash of my life (depression, which I now realize is part dysphoria),  I'm finally starting to be okay with myself and looking to start HRT (if I work up the courage to out myself to my doctor).

So, despite being middle aged, I'm only about a  month into figuring this all out.  I'm mainly here for learning more about what I've got myself 

Hi! I was feeling similarly until I finally talked to a long time advocate for Our community, and it boosted my confidence immensely. It turned out that my doctor is a big advocate for transgender people. If you are unsure if your doctor will be sympathetic to your needs, maybe looking into an LGBT center. They should have resources that list doctors, pharmacies, and groups that are friendly. I hope the best for you and your journey!

—Ellora

• Admin

Take what you need, give what you can as far as what is in the forums here.  I did not fully come to my reality until I was 60, and it took a couple years to get off the ground as well but I am 6 years post op now and know the journey can be started any time in our lives.

• Admin

Welcome to Trans Pulse, Clara.  I am also a "late bloomer," and started transition at 55.  I'm still married and have a grown son, who both support me and stayed by me and we're doing great.  It's not an easy journey, and there will be twists and turns aplenty, but if you need help and support, we are well prepared to give that to you.  Just ask your questions, and we'll be here for you.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

On 3/30/2019 at 10:57 AM, Ellora said:

Hi! I was feeling similarly until I finally talked to a long time advocate for Our community, and it boosted my confidence immensely. It turned out that my doctor is a big advocate for transgender people. If you are unsure if your doctor will be sympathetic to your needs, maybe looking into an LGBT center. They should have resources that list doctors, pharmacies, and groups that are friendly. I hope the best for you and your journey!

—Ellora

I'm fairly certain the doc I'm seeing will be supportive (AFAIK, Hindus are mostly okay with this sort of thing.), it's just the "breaking out of the habitual closet" that I'm up against.

Forgot I can't edit posts here, I'm at least lucky that I have a number of people in RealLife that are very supportive.  I wasn't actually expecting people to be quite as nonchalant about it when I came out to them -- I wasn't expecting negativity, but just some "er, whatnow?" from people I've known a long time, instead it's been a mix of people treating it like it's completely normal and "If you want someone to talk to."

25 minutes ago, Clara_D said:

I'm fairly certain the doc I'm seeing will be supportive (AFAIK, Hindus are mostly okay with this sort of thing.), it's just the "breaking out of the habitual closet" that I'm up against.

Hi! I understand completely. I was nervous too before I talked to my primary doctor, and my pharmacist. My primary was very happy for me when I told her and the pharmacist filled the prescriptions and explained everything like it was just another visit. It took a while for me to ask, and very happy I made the big step finally. I wish the best for you when you make you big step!