• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Dose taking hormones make me impotent

Lexi C

I m to f transgender on my fourth month of hormones treatment.  I have not yet started with  estrogen. But I been have a hard and painful time getting am erection. Should I be worried, is that side effect and will I be able to have orgasms 

• Admin

Welcome to Trans Pulse, Alex.  HRT can have an effect on ones ability to have an erection.  There may be other effects as well.  Are you seeing a doctor for your (I assume) hormone blockers?  If so, these are questions that you should be asking them, as we aren't medical professionals.  All we can do is give you advice based on our own experiences and what we've heard from others or read about.  HRT, even if only blockers (anti-androgens) is powerful medicine with many potential side effects.  Your doctor should be close monitoring you.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Yes, erections can become painful on HRT, just before they quit happening at all.  If it is as painful as you say though, it is time to discuss it with your doctor, since there can be other things doing it that are not good.

1 hour ago, VickySGV said:

Yes, erections can become painful on HRT, just before they quit happening at all.  If it is as painful as you say though, it is time to discuss it with your doctor, since there can be other things doing it that are not good.

ty soo much for the info,,

2 hours ago, Carolyn Marie said:

Welcome to Trans Pulse, Alex.  HRT can have an effect on ones ability to have an erection.  There may be other effects as well.  Are you seeing a doctor for your (I assume) hormone blockers?  If so, these are questions that you should be asking them, as we aren't medical professionals.  All we can do is give you advice based on our own experiences and what we've heard from others or read about.  HRT, even if only blockers (anti-androgens) is powerful medicine with many potential side effects.  Your doctor should be close monitoring you.

Carolyn Marie

ty for the info. I am seen him this week and will ask. 

HRT does decrease your libido and also it will make you 100% sterile.  If your doctor has not talked to you about it and you wish to have biological kids, you should look into sperm banking.

I’m a year in almost and STILL get morning wood regularly. ? And can perform as well just not as long as previous. Or as big. So it really depends on you. Talk to your doctor. 

I assume by painful you mean difficult and not actual pain? Cause if there’s actual pain you should get to the doc ASAP.