• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Wearing LGBTQ+ (pride) clothing out in public for the first time

Motormouth95

A few weeks ago, I bought a rainbow flag peace hand sign shirt and a shirt that says "we are all human" (with each letter of the last word being represented by a flag, including the trans flag). I finally worked up enough courage to wear the former out in public today. I plan on wearing the other shirt next week. I'm creating this topic so that I can document reactions, either positive or negative, if there are any. Given the rural and southern area I live in, I'm curious to see if anyone notices the shirt. (I've never seen anyone else wear something similar). Plus, I feel that I might be able to get some idea of local reaction to the topic, which may help me to gauge how others may react once I start transitioning more by binding and packing. 

I'm going out to eat for lunch and supper, and will be doing shopping at an outlet store and a mall most of the afternoon with my mother, so those will be my testing grounds. 

However, my mother started it off with a look and a scroff, so that's one vote in the negative. ?. Let's see how the rest of the day goes.

• Admin

My bet is going to be that almost no one "SEE's" the shirts.  I have one shirt that specifically says I am Trans that I have worn  in the presence of people who claim they can see a Trans person miles away, and they never see me as Trans three feet away from them.   Do be careful though, poking a stick at a bear is not a good idea.

I'm wearing my first pride-gear out today, too! ? I used fabric paint to paint a Captain America shield in the nonbinary flag colors (white, yellow, purple, black)– I was going to do the trans flag, but I figured less people around me who don't approve know about the nonbinary flag. The test in regards to my wearing it around is if next year I can wear it without suspicion on my Catholic college campus.

Best of luck to you, and remember that there'll be someone in the crowd around you that's happy to see that shirt and know you exist! I've been out and about and seen people with pride-themed things and have wanted to compliment them or just interact, but I never had the guts. 

That’s awesome! I hope it all goes well for you. And that you hear or see nothing negative. There’s just so much pride support this year. I really like to see it. ❤️?????

This is my first pride outfit. Well the bottom half at least. Can’t wait to wear it tomorrow in the parade!! 89A18B75-9470-43A7-8146-D12B348B3843.thumb.jpeg.5ffa1c4d7a3f3a777515d4f932214f25.jpeg

i have a teal tank and blue bra to wear as well and rainbow hair extensions!! My wife has a purple tutu and a tee that says “you can pee next to me”. Same hair as well. Plus we are doing a rainbow eye makeup thing. ??️‍?

• Forum Moderator

Looks like great fun!  

Hugs,

Charlize

I dunno how to put photos on here per the rules and I don't use a photo app (yet). But I changed my profile pic. I just got these rainbow-y shades for pride. Nobody has really said anything except that they're really cool (fact)...

• Admin
25 minutes ago, ToniTone said:

I dunno how to put photos on here

Go up to the Create link up by your  profile in the upper right hand corner of the page, create an image, but first it will want you to create an album, and then add pictures to it by dragging the file from your picture source.

I have a black tee with a big heart in the middle of the chest with the trans colors in it.  Only one person asked me about it, and he thought it was all about love.  Most of the folks around here, if they aren't trans or at least LGBTQ+ have no clue about pride colors except maybe the rainbow.  Uber's app now shows rainbow route lines on the app for passengers and I am sure few people, if any, make the connection with Pride month.

I have a pair of dangly earrings on order with Ace pride colors.  Atlanta has a big Pride festival in October when it isn't so dang hot.  I am planning what I am wearing then, now.  I am also planning on making some para-cord bracelets in transgender and ace pride colors.

Walmart has some short sleeve button down shirt with trans colors. I don’t think it was their intention, but I noticed it the other day. 

Well, overall, I had positive reactions, including a couple of "love your shirts". That was pretty good for southwestern Georgia and southeastern Alabama. 

Today, I went shopping at Spencer's, which has pride merch buy one, get one free. I'm sort of a regular there, and the manager saw the stuff I bought, which included a trans flag tumbler. She liked it, and asked if she could ask me a few questions because  she was straight cis female. I said sure, and she asked me how to ask someone their preferred pronouns and what mine were. I replied that mine were masculine and if you aren't sure, to just politely ask. She I also told her that I was mostly out and would hopefully start the long process of transitioning soon, but was nervous.  She responded that in her store I would be fully accepted and that no bullying would be tolerated. 

It felt nice to hear that, and my best friend also said something similar yesterday. 

Here is a crappy pic of the shirt I wore.

received_2743915465622784.jpeg

That's awesome!!! I'm so glad you put yourself out there and got rewarded for it! It's a handsome shirt! I love how respectful that manager was; such a good example

Wow @Kirsten!! Your really Rocked your Pride outfit!! I just saw your Profile picture, and listen babe, you are Hawt! I hope i look at least half as good as you do on Pride Day!

And @Motormouth95, you're rockin' that cool t! You look happy too. It feels good to be more out and supported and be yourself huh! 

I wore the shirt with the Trans flag on it today to work at my college.  There was no negative backlash or reactions, just a few questions.  I used this as my somewhat subtle way to come out more, and it worked. My coworkers are of a "you do you" mindset, and even if they don't fully agree, they are still respectful of my wishes.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 102 Guests (See full list)

• Vidanjali
    • Ashley0616