• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trans Murders. Epidemic levels? Let the figures talk.

Maid In Bedlam

I have been reading a few threads regarding trans Homicide. It got me thinking.

We are even allocated a special day. Transgender day of rememberance to remind us of and to recall and in our own way grieve for our fallen brothers and sisters who have been murdered for there right to express themselves in the manner they feel is right for them.

I also have found articles online expressing that Trans homicides are  now at an  and I quote "Epidemic Levels". Are they faking it and Scaring people into hiding? Not revealing ourselves for fear of mortal demise. Or are we trying for some kind of hysteria?

Should we be scared?

Should we all fear the reaper when we leave what we regard as a safe place?

particully whenever this day of remeberance comes personally it reminds me that my life could be in danger. Regardless of how well you fit into the social norms and with no regard of how well you pass if thats the word you like to use. So I decided to actually look at the figures to see how this panned out.

The figures do tell quite an interesting story . Let me take the UK for instance.

The total number of Trans persons murdered in the UK Between October 2017 to September 2018 was 1 The total number of homicides for this time period was 726 murders. population  66.04 Million So just one person was murdered. because of there trans status out of Seven hundred and Twenty Six persons. I personally do not consider this an epidemic of murders against the Trans comunity.  To put this into perpective. Just Deaths from road accidents were 1,710 for this time period.   So I decided to look a little deeper. Remember our figures will be lower in my opnion because firearms offences are very rare for us.

Lets now take the United States same Time frame. Murders assiociated with being trans 28. Total number of murders in the United states for the same time period. 17,284  So considering the amount of recorded homicides it again is hardly an epidemic. Population 327.2 million

Now lets look into the highest recorded number of trans related homicides in the world. Brazil. Which I consider a much more violent country in general if you go by population to homicide rate. With a total of 167 out of a total number of recorded homicides of 63,880. Population 209.3 Million

I have taken the step of leaving out any statistics on if these people were in the Sex industry or not and just rounded it up. who would by default have a higher chance of being a victim of homicide. as a murder is still a murder regardless.

The population of the world is estimated at 7.53 Billion and the total global trans related murders 369 for the time period

Even Turkey Who by definition dislike anything Trans related theres only 7

So in reality being murdered because of your trans status is still very rare considering the total of Homicides in general. In saying that One murder is One to many. Not only is the person had there life taken from them The ripples from that effect so many others in a life changing way.  Murder is a Horible crime. Taking another life in this way is wrong on every level regardles of the reasons behind

For me Trangender day of remembrance should still be the day when we recall the fallen. But do not let it make you in fear of your life. As in reality it is still not an epidemic.

This day. When it comes to pass again I will still spend time thinking of those who have had there lives taking from them for what they stand for in the same way I remember The fallen from conflicts on rememberance Sunday but will now understand that I am not in mortal danger as soon as i walk out of my door.

I hope this has also made any of you who have been scared to reveal yourselfs to the world in the belief your in peril.   We are all in danger going by the statistics but not for being trans and most certainly not for being anything other than ourselves

Link to figures here

Transrespect Versus Transphobia Worldwide. This is the source of figures often cited by trans campaigners.

Please bare in mind there is not yet an official, standardised method for recording the deaths of trans people across the UK or indeed world wide. But these are the figures widely used and accepted

Do you agree?

Should we still be scared?

have i missed something fundamental in my conclusion? Please do correct me if im wrong. Forums are for disscussion.

Please note I could do another thread on hate crime but I am considering Homicide for the purpose of this post as this is what the day in question is about and for the fallen.

It does make me thinkthe public in general  are being deliberatly misled.

So to sumerise. Dont panic whenever you open the newspaper  In reality you are more likely to get hit by a bus crossing the street than you are being a victim of homicide. So be safe. Be careful and dont put yourself in danger.

Pre emptive common sense is always the best safety net.

On another note if God forbid anything ever happened to me I would personally like to be remembered as a fallen woman and not as a trans related statistic. This is what I strive to be

In my line of work, I deal in facts.  I deal with customer's and their I.T. professionals who make all sorts of misguided and well-meaning guesses.  In the end, it is testing and where the testing which leads you to the root cause of a problem.  I have to say, I am a bit skeptical about the current numbers of alleged trans murders.  Not because I speculate someone is inflating those numbers, but because we don't know the real motive behind many of the murders.  The perpetrators have, in many instances, have not been caught.

Ms. Booker, in Texas, was involved in a bit of neighborhood drama.  We don't know if she was beaten because she was clocked, or if the neighbors who beat her knew she was trans, or just because she was involved in a fender bender and someone couldn't control their temper.  The fact she was shot is tragic, but there is no indication the beating and her murder are even related.  The evidence is not there.  The same is true of many of there murders.  Maybe these women were murdered because they were trans, and maybe they were just involved with the wrong people.  We need to wait until all the facts are in before we call these hate-crimes and tout this as an epidemic.

Don't misunderstand.  There is real danger out there, and due caution is well advised.  We do all sorts of things in our lives to take precautions against improbably circumstances.  We put fire extinguishers in our houses, for that one in 50,000 chance our house catches on fire.  We tell people where we will be when we go camping.  We buckle our seat belts when we drive.  These are all things we can do to reduce one in a million chances to one in ten million chances.  These things make sense.  We should be careful.

At the same time, there is no maturity requirement to be trans.  There is no mental health requirement to be trans.  There is no moral or ethical code to being trans.  Trans people are human beings like all others, and like all human beings there will be drama and conflict in their lives.  We have to allow for that conflict when we consider the motives for violence against trans people.  People lie, steal from each other, stab each other in the back, are jealous, are angry, become frustrated, and conflict ensues.

Some of the best things you can do to be safe are to pursue maturity, choose your friends wisely, choose where you go with care, don't put yourself in high risk situations, and above all, be the moral or ethical person who minimizes drama in their lives.  You can't mitigate the risks completely, but except for those few idiots on the fringe who react to what they don't understand violently, most people will respect you, even if they don't like that you're trans if you are a person of quality.

More than anything, please be careful.  Please, don't consider permanent solutions to temporary problems.  I don't want to loose any of my friends here.

Hugs to all of you.