• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Static Goal

Guest Soph

Guest Soph

Right after I came out, I made it my goal to go my next semester at college as a female. I didn't know at the time if that was an unrealistic goal, but I'm starting to think it is possible.

The school I'm attending has a very strong GLBT presence, with quite a few trans students, and even a professor who is FTM. Even if I don't pass (which I certainly hope isn't the case) I will have considerable company- that and I know I'll be able to pass better than some there.

This goal has been in place for months. Even when I was in the midst of my doubts and suicidal ideation, I still wanted to go to school as a girl. I mentioned to my therapist just today about how even in my deepest fits of doubt concerning my gender identity, if someone placed a hormone prescription suited for me (I really don't want to try hormones illegally) I would be absolutely ecstatic. Maybe that shows that my desire to express myself appropriately is stronger than my fears and doubts, and confirms that I am trans. But I digress.

Is it too unrealistic a goal I have set for myself? That would be the fall '09 semester, giving me about 3 months to transition, and I've been making pretty good progress so far, but I know that the whole process takes years. I know I haven't provided a picture (partly because of technical ineptitude, partly because of fear that I will get responses of, "no way you'll ever pass (not that the people here would ever say that. Rational thinking isn't easy to me :P), but is that enough time to at least pass well enough?

Guest Sofiadragon

It doesn't sound like an unrealistic goal to me but just be careful 'cause I know that I am going to be going through alot next year when I start my transition.

Guest Sophie H

3 months is not that long really, but if you feel ready and happy to go with your goal then I say go for it. Just remember be careful and remember transition takes time.

Guest sailcruisn

I have been wanting to do the same only I am looking at transitioning for spring 2010. For me sure I should be on hormones in the fall but I want to see how it works out a little first prior to transitioning. I feel that right now I still need a little time since I hadn't started electrolysis yet, I am growing my hair out but it isn't near long enough yet, plus I have been starting to work on my voice some. I look to be fairly passable when I go full time.

I do know that I have a timetable set up in my mind where I would like to start hormones by or in September though. I wish sometimes that it could all happen right now but it isn't and I don't think I am ready for an instant change either as I have to learn cultural aspects and everything else too which can't happen fast.

Timetables are fine but if the time approaches and you don't feel ready then adjust the timetable.

I think that in your school situation you have less to worry about than most - work on your voice and your look and you will be fine.

I think that it can be done but you have to believe it can for it to work.

Remember attitude and confidence are the keys to passing.

Love ya,

Sally

Everyone is different in how they approach transition, i have been on hormones a year next month and there are many changes but i want to have my facial hair cleared, a decent voice, lose some weight and grow my hair, wigs in the summer are too hot, before i go full time in hopes i pass much better. Some don't need hormones and look very feminine, but the only way to know is to show us a picture, i promise we won't laugh, you will get some constructive criticism.

Paula

Guest 1charlotte1

I'm going to start college as a female, this is part of the reason I dedicated myself to coming out to my parents beginning of summer. It gives me all senior year for therapy, then (if all goes well) I can be on hormones by next summer and start trying to go full female. One real reason for this is that there is no way in he'll they are putting me into a boys dorm!! That would be *in some cases* like sending me to the wolves! I will fight tooth and nail for being in the right dorms!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! <it's meh war cry!

I think u can do it if you are confident!