• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How or why did your choose your new name?

ShawnaLeigh

So I reread this and had to laugh at myself.  I was so adamant about not having Shawna.  
As you can see it’s exactly the name I have chosen.  

Similar to you actually I ended up choosing Kris because the name I was given at birth was Chris, which I don't mind but wanted something more ambiguous.

That's kinda funny and awesome how we changed our deadname slightly to the names we want!

~Toni

Mine is a slight twist on my birth name.

Initials reversed, swapped out a letter or two.

It feels right.

TA

I use to be very into Second Life. I have always loved the name Cindy. But wanted to be little different. So in talking with friends the name of Sindee came up. So in second life I became Sindee. When I changed my name from my male name to my female name it became Sindee. I love it. 

I originally chose my name after an old coworker many many years ago. She was very pretty and the way she walked talked just seemed very feminine to me. I remember the first time wearing a wig, full makeup, and a dress looking into the mirror and saying hi Angela. First time seeing the real me. Since then for me its always been Angela. That is the real me. Nothing like my dead name other then they start with the same letter.

I chose my first name because my mother once told me that Amanda is what I would have been named if I had been born a girl.  I chose my middle name from a name error on the address on a "notice of polling place" one election year. 

The only part of my name now that has any connection to my deadname is that I didn't change my family name.