• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Thick neck, can it be made thinner!?

ToniTone

One of the biggest factors to my dysphoria is also one that's pretty much out of my control, my thick neck.

Dumb question, I'm pretty sure the answer is a firm no, but... 

Is there a way to reduce the width of one's neck?? 

Besides some radical surgery removing muscles and tissues that is so unapproved of that it probably doesn't even exist... Is there some sort of exercise or diet (chuckles)? 

All I can think to do is to stop shaking my hair out after my shower to dry it. I can't imagine the couple shakes work the muscles much though. 

I feel like it's one of the big attributes that clocks me. If it were just a bit thinner, I'd feel more attractive and think it would greatly help me pass. But I doubt there is anything I can do about it... 

~Toni

• Forum Moderator

Your muscles atrophy a bit under HRT. I've lost about half a shoe size. My neck was never that thick though and I was blessed with not much of an Adam's apple. Part of the reason I work out so hard is to keep my muscle mass from decreasing too much. I didn't have much to lose.

So yeah, give it some time. You might be surprised by the results. Otherwise, look for clothing that minimizes your neck. One of the upsides of women's "nothing you have is ever good enough" fashion is that there are a lot of options out there to make you fit the ideal.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

Holy crap. I was just looking at a makeup tutorial on contouring... maybe practice that too. I am stunned... absolutely stunned... by the results.

Hugs!

Contouring is great and all, but it's more about the physicality of my neck that bothers. I dunno how to explain it, I dunno... 

But at least 70% of the time I'm wearing clothes. So I can definitely dress tactically to mask or distract from the features I don't like. Darker colors (neutrals as per my dress code at work), shoulder coverage (creates the illusion of narrower chest), and just right loose/tightness.

And accessories. Of course it is cute scarf season after all! Definitely take advantage of that! Just about the only thing I like about winter (and hot cocoa)...

And then there's my hair. I'm growing it out indefinitely (save for the occassional trimming of split ends). It's shy of touching my shoulders. Once that barrier is surpassed, it should help cloak my neck some. 

Thank you for your insight as always hun ??

~Toni

• Forum Moderator

We all (cis women too) have features we don't like. It's just part of being a woman. It sounds like you've got the skills to dress around the features that bother you. That's fantastic! It's just what all the cis girls learned to do at twelve.

I get the physicality of your neck thing though. We've all got parts we feel just a bit more dysphoric about. Fortunately, I was blessed with a skinny neck, but my chest is bigger than I'd like and I'm pigeon breasted which my tiny boobs do not actually disguise (unless I'm stuffing my bra, but I don't like to do that). Ugh... and on the subject; my giant freaking feet... just ugh. So yeah, we've all got features we don't like.

I actually got into a back and forth with my friend Xena (no really, her names is that cool) at the gym yesterday. We were both going on about how we envied the other one. I completely don't get it, she's practically perfect (seriously, she's a knockout, I would commit terrible atrocities to look like her) and I'm this gawky trans-woman, but... I guess the grass is always greener.

In the meantime, I've found that concentrating on the features that you DO like helps with dealing with the things that you don't. For example; I have lovely high, cheekbones and dimples. Spending a minute appreciating those in the morning helps me smile my way through my day.

Hugs!

I hear you sister.  Although I do not have a thick neck I do have fairly heavy and wide shoulders which could just be hiding the neck size.  Then a rib cage that is still a tid bit over 40". I say rib cage because I am basically down to just ribs having lost all the weight I have.  Like Jackie my breast are pigeon toed too.  One being a lot bigger then the other, like a small B and a AA, so yea I am with you on dysphoric body parts.  

My legs, feet, arms and hands are so sweet though.  LOL

Then we have the hair.

Lets not even talk about that here...

Sorry hit submit before I was ready...

So I mentioned this before but read someplace how a fairly big male body builder started a transition MTF and was trying to minimize all muscle groups.  Going for atrophy and having the body reduce of the muscles tissues by staving the energy sources is what she needed to do.  So basically she trained like a world class distance runner, which are basically super healthy but bean poles.  (No Judgements here)

No weights even for toning.  Veggies and some Carbs just for energy and no protein.

It does not seem very healthy to me.  

• Forum Moderator

Yeah, that's not really what I'm talking about. I have a pigeon chest. It's more like this:

Image result for pigeon breasted woman

I'm a little more rounded, but this gives you the general idea. My breasts simply do not project out past my breastbone at this point. I'd LOVE them to, but... biggest physical source of anxiety right there.

Hugs!

Thanks y'all for your encouragement! ?

I had pretty big biceps when I started this whole thing. They atrophied (I quit my manual labor jobs) and now they look more slender, about how I want them to. But I was prettt dysphoric about them early on too. But a number of girls told me they thought my arms looked pretty hot, lol!..

Anyway, I have a friend who has a condition that caused the neck to not develop properly, so they have a short thick neck ambiguous with the shoulders. They too are very self conscious of their neck. But they don't let it stop them from modelling in their fashion and glam photography. And imho they are stunning, wears it well! 

I brought that up to exemplify something, that I think we are more hyperfocused and critical of ourselves than is realistic. I often wonder if people's compliments are meer pleasantries, or of they are genuine comments if their external perspective of ourselves. 

I have pretty large feet for my height (size 10.5 wide mens and I'm 5'5"). But I love my gawky feet. They have robustness and a nice contour! 

~Toni

Ok, some of those if's are supposed to be of's and vice versa. THANK YOU autocorrect... <.<

On 1/3/2020 at 1:35 PM, ToniTone said:

I often wonder if people's compliments are meer pleasantries, or of they are genuine comments if their external perspective of ourselves. 

I agree with this too.  I honestly cant read people with this sort of thing.  I love compliments but get very few.  Although a few nurses have mentioned my weight loss and say I look "good" but in a flirtatious way that they would of a guy not a female.  I thank them but it does not "do it" for me.  LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late here, but I have a thick neck too. However, much to my surprise, it has shrunk a bit. My chokers used to only fit if I linked them at the last link in the chain, then I didn't wear them for a month or so, and when I put them on again, I found that I needed to connect them about a centimeter tighter than I used to. So yeah, your neck can shrink on HRT. I recommend measuring it periodically so you can tell if it shrinks.

Ooh thank you Lucca! I think my neck has shrunk a bit on hrt, but still pretty thick imo. My arms have became slender! I stopped working manual labor and exercising a while back and allowed them to atrophy...

~Toni

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 68 Guests (See full list)

• Heather Shay
    • Mirrabooka
    • Ashley0616
    • Birdie
    • MaryEllen
    • Riya
    • LucyF
    • April Marie
    • Betty K
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Justine76
    Newest Member
    Justine76

1. April Marie
      April Marie
    2. daniela...
      daniela...
      (59 years old)
    3. Emily May
      Emily May
    4. Felixr
      Felixr
      (20 years old)
    5. Leann
      Leann
      (56 years old)
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      @RiyaHello and welcome. I also live in Ohio and it is a challenge but I applaud you for knowing pretty early on and becoming who you really are. Congratulations!
    • Heather Shay
      Do you feel safe in the country you now live in?
    • Heather Shay
      Oooooooooooooooops, I forgot yesterday.   I was thinking of a few bands who had a member invited who said no and went right into obscurity or left before the band got big.   1) Led Zeppelin -  origially wanted Terry Reid to be lead vocalist and he decided the stay solo. 2) Crosby, Stills & Nash - invited John Sebastian to join before Neil Young, Sebastian said no. 3) Signe Anderson quit as lead vocalist with Jefferson Airplane and they replaced her with Grace Slick.    
    • April Marie
      Good morning, everyone! We're back from a short vacation with friends to the mountains of NC. It was a fun time driving the twisty mountain roads.   Now it's back to reality of cutting grass, washing windows and putting in screens and putting out the porch furniture. Coming home to warmer weather than when we left is glorious.   Happy Anniversary @Willow!    I hope your family is feeling better @KymmieL - my wife and I shared a stomach virus several weeks ago that was horrid.   Hang in there @Birdie, it will all work out!!   Have a wonderful day, everyone!
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      I think many Christians end up with a false dichotomy.  If we didn't choose to be how we are, then something in our environment did it. Is going along with it a sin?  Maybe.  But if so, its one of those times where we mess something up no matter what we do.  Part of the imperfect nature of this fallen world is that there are times where we'll sin no matter what we do.  In a no-win scenario like that, we do the wisest thing possible with our free will. 
    • EasyE
      This is the crux of my anguish these many, many months (years!) and where I go back-and-forth with my own journey ... I was born a biological male. No denying that in my case. But I have a lot of internal feminine leanings and external ones, too. I prefer to wear women's clothes 100 percent of the time (if I could). I wish I had the female plumbing. I long for that badly sometimes. I don't know why or where that came from but no denying that either. I have started HRT because I like the idea of having a more feminine physical body and some of the "perks" that go with that. I just asked my doc to up my dose to the next level today!   So the big question I ask myself is: am I knowingly disobeying God, who likes order and made humans male and female, by taking these steps? This is my wife's take on things. "You are sinning. You know God made you a male biologically. Yet you are willfully pursuing transition to being something God didn't intend you to be regardless of what you feel inside, what your preferences are, etc."  I keep trying to tell her it's much more complex than that but sometimes I don't even know what I think...   This ties up in knots and makes me angry and makes me feel stuck!!! I don't want to disobey my Creator and Savior and yet I have this strong, strong leaning toward the feminine in many ways (that keeps getting stronger and refuses to go away no matter how much I have tried to stuff it away!!) ... It feels like misery no matter which path I take - if I "give in" to the feminine, which I have been doing a lot the past 12 months or so, am I endangering my soul? Am I creating scandal? Yet the thought of putting the feminine aside feels, at times, like death too (or is it just me being self-centered and unwilling to bend the knee to my Creator who would ask me to give this up as a testament to my love for him...   I don't know. I don't know. I don't know!! But sometimes I really really F***ing hate this quandary... 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      We use a ton of Harbor Freight stuff here.  They have pretty good warranty, too, I guess.  GF beats all heck out of sockets and things, and if she takes them back they get replaced for free.  Harbor Freight was junk 20 years ago, but its really good now.  Craftsman used to be good 20 years ago, but now its junk (but they still want to charge made-in-the-usa prices).  Dewalt is now Chinese also, when it used to be made in Germany.  Older Dewalt tools are good, but GF got a really bad hand injury a few years ago from a Chinese Dewalt drill bit that shattered.  Some of the name brands just aren't what they used to be. 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Honestly, all the numbers are monkey math.  Doesn't matter who's in charge.  Trump kept crowing about the damn stock market, which didn't make a difference to normal people.  All the "job creation" is an illusion.  They consider it job creation when they take good full time jobs, and split them in half to "make" two part-time or temp jobs.  Not totally a Biden problem, as this has been going on for decades now.  Things *began* to get better under Trump.  A bit.  Maybe 8 years would have been better, but it wouldn't have fixed it.  Too much damage.    To me, Trump is a case of "too little, too late."  In my opinion, we need more - a true nationalist, with an aggressive and isolationist foreign policy.  And we needed him 50 years ago.  I want to see:   High import tariffs, a currency backed by precious metals, no more "climate" stuff and repudiation of all "accords" or other agreements, elimination of excess government agencies like the FBI and EPA, and total seizure of foreign-owned assets on US soil - with sale and disbursement of profits to our citizens.  And that would be a basic start.  Instead of "sanctions" to interrupt the trade of nations we don't like, Congress should instead issue letters-of-marque as described in the Constitution.  I'd like to see an alliance with Russia, and an end to nearly a century of useless conflict.    Trump won't do any of those things.  He's a sad, pale imitation of the leaders that founded our nation.     
    • KymmieL
      Well I got some terrible news today. My therapist is a doctoral intern at the VA. Her internship is ending the end of July. Normally interns just continue with the VA after their degree is done. However, VA has a hiring freeze on. So, I am going to loose one of the best therapists I have ever had. One that actually cares about me. I do have a few months till she leaves, Thankfully.   Other than that. my wife and youngest are both sick. Don't know if they got it worse that I had on Thurs/Friday. Or I am destine to get it too.   I've got tools that range from cheapy flea market stuff all the way up to high grade, Mac and Snap-on. Most have lasted me for quite a long time. I am diligently trying to keep my happy arse out or the Snap-on truck when he comes every Thurs. So far, I have resisted. But the temptation is there.   Kymmie
    • RaineOnYourParade
      IMO: If politicians stopped focusing on which bathrooms people were using and, you know, the actual issues of the country, maybe we could work on that 30+ trillion dollar debt of ours? Put more effort into international cooperation? Consider ways to improve education? Literally anything more productive than worrying about what's in some lady's pants you'll never meet?
    • VickySGV
      I have been thinking of this one a bit today since my first response here.  If you check out the relation that Peter had with Jesus and you can see that even Jesus was criticized for being who Jesus was by Peter.  In that relationship which I have come to think was more of a Chosen Family situation than genetic family,  Peter was telling Jesus who Peter thought Jesus should be. Especially when it came to Jesus being killed for what his true identity was.  Transgender is very much an issue of identity and not primarily about sexuality.  Sexuality is the BIG thing with certain religious groups and if you look at it, it is always about pro-creating kids into certain genealogies and making them new church members. 
    • Willow
      Good evening   @Adrianna Danielle wow 13 years out of a harbor freight tool.  That’s amazing, and lucky.  I read an article recently about how harbor freight does make inexpensive tools. It seems that some percentage of them are expected to fail in some manner.  However they are typically made with the same laborers  parts design as name brand high end tools.  If you get a good one it can last for a long time.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.