• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

body size

thomas55

im a 21 year old trans man and im gonna have surgery and hormone therapy next year.

im very skinny.

i wonna know if testostrone and body building work outs can make my upper body wider, and whole my body a little bigger.

• Forum Moderator

Well you're 21, so you're growth plates haven't fused yet (probably). Body building can always make your upper body a bit wider and you're starting relatively young, so if you get with someone who knows what they're doing you should be able to bulk up without hurting yourself. That part is key, learn how to bulk up from a professional. Otherwise it's easy to hurt yourself and that doesn't help anybody.

You won't get taller (probably because genetics), but that's OK. I know plenty of cis-men on the shorter side.

So yeah, you probably won't turn into a monster body-builder, but you'd be amazed what you can do with a couple of hours in the gym every day and a good diet. Good diet is also key, you'll want protein to build muscle mass. Protein is harder to add to your diet than you think, but you'll be eating a lot of eggs and/or chicken breasts.

A male body has several peak and plateau periods throughout life.

The famously talked about 18-20 year old one, another about 30, then the one that surprises everyone between 40 to 50.

Through those periods the body continues to grow and develop masculine traits.

Testosterone is slowly working it's way through the system.

So yes, it is not too late. Be careful not to overdo workouts so that you don't injure or harm yourself.

TA

38 minutes ago, TammyAnne said:

A male body has several peak and plateau periods throughout life.

The famously talked about 18-20 year old one, another about 30, then the one that surprises everyone between 40 to 50.

Through those periods the body continues to grow and develop masculine traits.

Testosterone is slowly working it's way through the system.

So yes, it is not too late. Be careful not to overdo workouts so that you don't injure or harm yourself.

TA

Please note that these are personal, not necessarily biological, observations.

I was lean and muscular in my 20s. By the time I turned 35 I was built like a tank, thick and solid.

But between 40 and 50 I was surprised to discover that people started calling me "sir" and that I was much hairier than I'd every been before, my head had also grown into the stereotypical male shape - broad rather than long and narrow. My voice deepened even more. Beard filled in, etc.

TA