• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hormones And Blood Pressure

Guest Anthelia

Guest Anthelia

Talking with my mom about when I go on HRT one of her main concerns is that I have family issues with high blood pressure on both sides of my family. When my mom was on birth control she had to be taken off because her blood pressure was starting to spike too high. I am wondering since those pills are mainly just estrogen how worried I should be with blood pressure.

Guest Donna Jean

Sweetie...you're young...

I'm 59 and I'm on estrogen....

My BP is just fine....

Eat right ..eat lots of veggies, fruits, stay away from red meat...you will have no problems..

Take care of yourself...don't do Micky "D" every day....

It'll be ok....

I love you!

Donna Jean

Guest Leah1026
Talking with my mom about when I go on HRT one of her main concerns is that I have family issues with high blood pressure on both sides of my family. When my mom was on birth control she had to be taken off because her blood pressure was starting to spike too high. I am wondering since those pills are mainly just estrogen how worried I should be with blood pressure.

You have virtually nothing to worry about. In the USA HRT regimens use Spironolactone (aka Spiro, Aldactone, Spirotone etc) as the anti-androgen. Spiro is a potassium sparing diuretic that was first developed as a........ wait for it....... blood pressure medication. As a result it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will have high blood pressure problems on HRT. If you have more questions be sure to ask your endocrinologist.

See great information from Leah :) and horrible advice from Donna Jean :o - don't go to Mc Donald's everyday - the very idea! :angry:

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Anthelia

I actually eat very healthy especially when compared to my peers, one of the good things my parents taught me. I also hate Mc Donalds and very rarely eat fast food, most of my food I make myself. Thanks for the info, hopefully I will be fine. I would like to start HRT by the end of the year if possible.

I am actually doing better at the diet myself except for holidays - I do love hot dogs.

(Probably because they make me think of the early holiday picnics before I realized that I was any different from anyone else.)

I just have to have a little fun wiht Dee Jay.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Evan_J

Personally I know nothing about E and BP. But I do know T has the tendency to raise it (don't you just love the initials). I'm thinking you should be fine. [**wipes Mickey D ketchup off lips, throws out cheeseburger wrapper] :)

<-----do not listen to this man, he is a bad influence