• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trans Movement Finding Unexpected Success In So. Dakota

Carolyn Marie

• 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Suzanne1 said:

Well, this is probably just a silly little post, but I was wondering if someone could define or otherwise explain, "Exactly what is the 'Trans Movement'?"  Just curious, I've seen the expression a lot, but I don't think what I read ever really explained/defined it.

Actually, I'm just a little perplexed because I've seen gender & LGBTQ(+some other letters?) friendly  websites/publications adamantly denying that there is any such transgender movement, agenda, etc.  Said websites/publications sometimes went as far as claiming that it was the conservative-right that made such references to an movement or agenda?

So is the trans-movement some sort of equal rights campaign?  A campaign to deny non-trans folks their religious-freedoms or other civil liberties (i.e., to believe, worship, and think as their hearts move them?  Seems like I read someplace that such a movement's purpose was to get the transgender-population included in the Americans for Disability Act?---But that can't be correct, can it?  I mean from what I can gather (and perhaps I'm wrong?) there seems to be a consensus amongst the TG-population that they don't have disabilities, mental or otherwise.

Any way, would very much appreciate someone "learning me, better" about this movement.?

What She said.

I cant read the article being in the UK and im not prepared to subscibe to the Washington post and regardless of what i do to my ad blocker it still doesnt let me read the article. It does invite me to pay $29 for a years entry mind you. Very generous im sure.

Can we be enlightened?

• Forum Moderator

“Transgender movement” is an unfortunate term.  To the far right, it suggests a campaign to recruit new people into “becoming” transgender.  It gives them a target to oppose, even if it is a straw man.

What the article is referring to is an effort to prevent transgender people’s rights from being taken away.  Resisting attempts at oppression requires a coordinated effort, and I think that is what they are referring to.

A movement by definition is something that brings about an effect or a result (synonym for the term "cause"), so, when like minded individuals come together to bring about change it can be described as a movement.  The problem with the term is that it does not differentiate between a positive or a negative outcome, so, one must look deeper to see what the collective efforts of the movement are trying to achieve.  

The Washington Post article was describing something positive for the trans community in that the outcome is supposed to help prevent discrimination of trans individuals.  As Kathy pointed out, a negative "trans movement" could be an attempt by bigots to make society believe there is a movement or cause started by trans individuals to recruit and/or subvert adolescents. By generating this kind of rumor, they hope to sway opinion their way and show that being trans is bad or dangerous.  That sort of movement, as any informed individual knows, is nothing but a myth.

Hugs,

Sally 

• 1 month later...

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to define the "transgender movement". It could be interpretted as one big movement or a bunch of small movements.

This website http://www.transsexual.org/letters24.html#Disable explains four ways she says that being transgender involves disabilities, although I think only two are really disabilities (distress of having the wrong body and recovery from surgeries). I think the other two (being unpassable during or possibly after transition) are examples of being discriminated against rather than being disabled. However, I think transgender people who cannot find work because of being unpassable should still get disability income if they cannot get any other kind of assistance. Something like "discrimination income" would be a better fit, but as far as I know that does not exist.

Some people use the term "transgender agenda" in negative ways by claiming that the "transgender agenda" wants to do things like put men into women's bathrooms or to deny that biological sex exists.

• Admin

As a person who has been active in the Trans Community for 10+ years I will tackle one parts of this.

The term Agenda simply means a written plan of action. 

I have been accused of having a plan of action to put non-Trans people at risk for their lives, souls , health, privacy and myriad other assaults on civilization.  I keep hearing about that one, but have never been provided with a copy of that writing by other Trans activists.  ----

That writing is a bit like a philosophy book by a person named Arius back in the second century CE who was at odds with several church philosophers (clergy) and one of them wrote a book titled Against Arius where Arius' book is liberally quoted and told that it will put people at risk for their lives, souls , health, privacy and myriad other assaults on civilization. There is no surviving manuscript of Arius' writing, and what we have is his enemies statements of why he was a baddie.

Perhaps a writing such as that one did exist at one time for the Trans Community, but those written accusations I know of today come only from writings of those outside and opposed to Transgender People.  Like the writings of Arius the original document that says we are the total baddies has gone missing.

The written plans of action I see today are simply. 

Keep Transgender people from being fired from a job ONLY because they come out or become known as Transgender.

Help them find jobs and become productive citizens.

Keep Transgender people  from being denied even ordinary health care such as broken arms or heart attacks.

Keep Transgender children with accepting parents from being taken away from those parents by authorities only because the child is being allowed to be their True Self. 

Educate people to realize that Trans People are not sexual predators of children or of adults. 

The list goes on, all with uplifting and socially and morally edifying intentions.  I donate personal money to those organizations which include churches and other socially active groups with goodhearted people working for them.