• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hormone Replacement Therapy and Suicidal Thoughts

AmberM

First off, I am not sure if this in the right forum, so please move it if it is in the wrong one.

So I deal with recurrent major depression that is normally followed by suicidal thoughts. While I think I am on a path with medication to help, there is a question that I had based on a conversation with a previous psychiatrist. She stated that in a population of transgender individuals who start HRT, that it triggered suicidal thoughts and behaviors. I wanted to ask, is there anybody who has bouts with depression similar to mine, and when they started HRT, did they experience an increase in the symptoms like the prior psychiatrist suggested?

I will say that I already know that mileage may vary person to person, I just have been wanting to ask someone else.

• Forum Moderator

Before starting my transition I was a high functioning depressive and frequently had suicidal thoughts. Honestly, I couldn't tell you why I never acted on them. Probably a combination of opportunity and... in a way... I was. I practiced a lot of self-destructive behavior designed to hasten my departure date without damaging my wife's ability to collect benefits.

That's gone now. I haven't had a depressive episode since I've been on HRT and I can actually function as a human being. I have dreams again and the will to pursue them.

Now that said, I've heard the same thing where putting an already unstable individual on HRT does not help and can increase instability. My experience however has been mostly positive.

Hugs!

Depression among aging males is very often due to lowering testosterone. So it is possible. But I have also heard that HRT can have the opposite effect for transgender women as with Jackie. So it's probably just a matter of YMMV.

My depression has been worse since I started HRT, but it has coincided with a drastic increase in marriage conflict. So my situational factors are the most likely cause, but it is possible the E, which is lowering my T, could be part of the cause also.

Belle ❤

I have several issues, one of which is Major Depression with suicidality. When I started Testosterone, that almost completely went away. However, I live in a situational hellhole of PTSD triggers, so I still have bouts of depression and independent thoughts of suicide, but the only time I get REALLY CLOSE to acting on that is when I have a hormonal shift. I just went through a month of that, but I think it might be due to my T levels being a little too high and turning into E. Blood tests the end of this month to find out, and chat with Endo about it.

Hormones and Depression is a very complicated dance. While I'm going to say T is the best thing that ever happened to me, it still needs to be closely monitored considering my mental health history and current circumstances.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Amber. I've heard of suicidal ideation with starting HRT in the past, but it seems anecdotally anyway, that I've heard more stories that people had a sense of calmness and contentment come over them after starting HRT. That was my experience. Maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me. I have read that too much or too little (abrupt cessation) can precipitate extreme emotional states, most often depressive. Are your hormone levels being monitored? 

I've struggled with suicidal ideation in the past, but not from the trans situation, more like life's major upsets. I was really horrified by the financial ruin that happened as a result of a divorce following a 2 year marriage and all the fallout from that. 

Not to go off on a tangent, but make sure that your hormone levels are being monitored and are at target levels. And message any of us if you have any extreme thoughts leading down that road. We don't need any permanent solutions to temporary problems. :(