• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

FFS Concerns

Belle

I keep dreaming of FFS. Then I imagine the pics I've seen of people right after surgery and I worry about being embarrassed during the healing period. And I have seen numerous before/after photos where the transwoman actually looks more masculine! That terrifies me. Plus I worry I would always have to wear makeup to hide the scars.

Does anyone have experience with this or other wisdom to share?

Belle ❤

As you know I do not but I do have some thoughts on the aftermath you are worried about.

I would think that if you are at a point where you are going for this surgery you will be in a much more confident place in your journey and you will also most likely have been out for a while to all that know you.  Any embarrassment you think you may feel would be understandable to others already of why you had this done so really there would be no reason to be embarrassed.  In my humble opinion. 

Now I will say every surgery has its risks and the outcomes vary a lot from case to case but I am sure you would of done your research and chosen a surgeon that has a great track record.

I am interested in hearing what others have to say too.

It is not one on my "list of things to do" but I am interested all the same.

Besides Belle.  I think you are gorgeous already so why would you need this?  

Just saying.....

• Forum Moderator

My wife has a facelift not too long ago.  It is true that she looked a bit freaky for the first week or so, but healing was fast.  Within a month, she was out and about in public looking pretty much normal.  I have followed the progress of trans women who have had FFS, and their healing was similar.

Pick your surgeon carefully.  Then relax.  You'll be beautiful.

• Forum Moderator

While I personally don't feel that FFS is right for me, like @KathyLauren I have a friend who is talking about a lower facelift. It's not her first plastic surgery. Personally, I would murder a village (not a huge one, population 1000 or so max) to look as good as she does but it's her face, she can do what she likes with it. By the same token it's your dysphoria. Do what you feel you need to do.

While surgeons do their best to minimize scarring, it's a risk. Especially as you get older and things start to sag (presuming things like genetic factors and your self-care routine. Example: Linda Carter wouldn't have that sort of problem because DAMN), I suppose you need to consider how much you want the changes to your face vs. the risk of scarring and other complications.

@ShawnaLeigh is right though, your avatar looks great. However I realize that I have no earthly idea what you might have done to it. It looks a little like my friend Amanda.

Hugs!

• 4 months later...

Hi Belle:

The decision to have FFS is very personal.   For me, there was no question that I felt I could never pass without FFS.

I did a lot of research and finally settled on facial team.   Facial team is an amazing group of surgeons in Spain that pioneered some of the techniques in use today.  Check out their website for lots of details on what is possible.

As it turned out,  the pandemic struck and travel was suspended.   Then I won an appeal with my insurance company and they agreed to pay for FFS state side.     So off I went.   Completed phase one 10 days ago.

I can tell you looking at things in the first 10 days has been scary.   It can take several months before everything settles down.   But the nose is already really nice and feminine.   The forehead is great.   There are very substantial incision scars on my scalp and just back of the hair line.   They will fade over time and will be covered by hair.   The stitches along the nose and for the tracheal shave are not even visible at day 10.  The worst sutures are inside my mouth but they will dissolve on their own in a while.   Nobody will ever be able to see those.

The results aren't perfect but I'm better than I was.   I didn't expect he could remake me into a runway model.    Just don't go in with unreasonable expectations.   

I had to also overcome a surgical error that almost cost me my life.   Instead of repeating everything here is the full story:

Anyway, even after that I would not hesitate to do it all over again.