• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Birth Certificates

Dearhart

Not sure if this is the right place, if not I can delete it. But I was wondering where I might go for a procedural question I have regarding changing the gender marker of birth certificates.

Arkansas requires SRS to change the gender marker on my birth certificate, but will accept court orders from other states.

I've looked at a few sites like Lamda Legal, but I just can't seem to find a simple interface for asking how I could go about getting this interstate court order, whether I'd need to be a resident of the state issuing the order, or for how long I'd need to be a resident. 

Thanks for any help. 

• Forum Moderator

Every jurisdiction is different.  It is unlikely that you would be able to get a court order from a state where you were not a resident.  If you are resident in the state where you were born, then there is only one jurisdiction you can work with.  You would have to move to another, more friendly state and meet whatever their residency requirements are before applying for a court order.

2 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

Every jurisdiction is different.  It is unlikely that you would be able to get a court order from a state where you were not a resident.  If you are resident in the state where you were born, then there is only one jurisdiction you can work with.  You would have to move to another, more friendly state and meet whatever their residency requirements are before applying for a court order.

That's what I would like clarification on. Clearly it's legal advice, but I've never asked about legal advice before, so I don't know how to go about asking for it from a legal professional. 

13 hours ago, VickySGV said:

I know many of the people at Transgender Law Center in person, they would be happy to help you online or refer you to an affiliate who can answer it for you. 

https://transgenderlawcenter.org/

Do I just call the number they have at the bottom of their page, or is there an email address I can use?

• Forum Moderator

I worked with Trans Legal Defense Fund. Molly's great. They set me up with a lawyer who works pro bono so I can ask questions pertinent to my transition. I should send him a shout just so he knows I'm still alive. It's been a couple months,

Hugs!

• Admin
3 hours ago, Dearhart said:

Do I just call the number they have at the bottom of their page, or is there an email address I can use?

There is an E-Mail address on the page, and they do have a text place in the site for simple questions, but the phone is fine too.

3 hours ago, VickySGV said:

There is an E-Mail address on the page, and they do have a text place in the site for simple questions, but the phone is fine too.

Thank you!

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 134 Guests (See full list)

• Carolyn Marie
    • Jet McCartney
    • Susie
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • awkward-yet-sweet
    • MirandaB