• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

My Doctor's Confusing Me

Chloé Rei

In order to go on HRT I needed lab work. So I got it done. When I went in for my appointment they said they had not received them yet. So they called over and I assumed got them. I received my estradiol and syringes, but no spironolactone. After three weeks of calling and leaving messages and no returned calls. I called just now begging to speak to someone. The nurse told me they just got the lab results yesterday and the doctor will review them today. This is acceptable, but if they never reviewed my labs and I'm unhealthy this all comes crashing down. ?

• Forum Moderator

Not necessarily. They could just be looking at what T suppressors you can take safely and what dosages are OK for you to have. Like my endocrinologist said to me when I was worried, "We can find a treatment plan for almost anyone. Relax."

Naturally, I didn't relax, but I DID change about a dozen bad habits so I could continue to be healthy for my HRT. HRT is very important to me, I'm willing to work for it.

Hugs!

• Admin

My Endocrinologist wanted to see how I reacted to E before putting me on a T suppressor.  With the current hubbub of the virus, things are confused, but if the doctors medical judgment was to give you E based only on your prior medical history without a current test, it is still medically ethical and is better than not getting it at all.  It was 9 months into my E before I got Spironolactone, and then it was unrelated to my HRT.  Another diuretic I had been taking kept crashing my potassium levels and Spiro spares potassium.  I am 7 years post op and still on Spiro for the on-label diuretic purpose.  You can do famously on E alone and it is not negligence to decide not to give you the suppressor which you may not need. 

• Forum Moderator
51 minutes ago, Suzanne1 said:

Endocrinologists seem all the rage today; never saw one.  My shrink and family practitioner were quite secure in managing all my meds; saved me significant time & money. Again worked for me; that art & science thing again.

Not every doctor is trained up on those. UofM is adding that to their curriculum for doctors so they can at least administer and monitor medication for their trans patients, but it's by no means common. At least not yet. Maybe in the future.

Hugs!

She finally got back with me I got my spironolactone. The only bad news is I'm pre diabetic. Which worries me, because she knows I'm diabetic according to me telling her, my health records and the metformin I take. Oh well no more fruits I guess. Also I was low in Vitamin D. I used to drink close to a gallon of milk i day, but I gave up everything but water when i quit drinking pop. All I know is I'm happy again. Which is extremely rare. So I need to savor the moment, before it leaves. Big hugs and kisses to everyone who comes to my aid when I think the sky is falling.

• Admin

Pre Diabetic is a range on your Hb a1c blood test, your range can go back to  Pre from full blown diabetes if your diet and meds are being taken care of properly.  Congratulations on getting your life in shape.  It's a good thing.  What with cooking for myself these days I am probably going to do better there myself.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 124 Guests (See full list)

• KathyLauren
    • Ashley0616
    • Heather Shay
    • Petra Jane
    • Betty K
    • April Marie
    • MaybeRob
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Luna29
    Newest Member
    Luna29

1. ciara
      ciara
    2. Jamieleann
      Jamieleann
      (62 years old)
    3. Lukey19252
      Lukey19252
      (22 years old)
    4. Maye
      Maye
      (66 years old)
    5. Spirefreedom
      Spirefreedom
      (21 years old)
    • Heather Shay
    • April Marie
      Thank you, Ashley! You're sweet.
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
      That sounds like fun! My vote is for heels. 
    • Ashley0616
      You look great as usual! 
    • Petra Jane