• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Passing and style tips for trans guys...

A. Dillon

I have advised a bunch of my fellow ftms about this before, but I haven't really seen a topic for it, so I thought that I should start it. In this thread, ask any questions you want and I will answer to the best of my ability, from voice training to packing, and just being your true self. I would love to give some advice to all the newbies out there, and maybe trade tips with people more experienced, can't wait to talk!

how do you typically lower your voice? Asside keeping it monotone :))

Yeah, it is almost always lowered. I also have always talked with a lot of pitches, doing impression and weird voices, so it is not all the time. But if I am at school or anywhere other than with my immediate family, it drops to the floor. If you have ever heard a clip of me talking on here, that is how my voice just is.

• Forum Moderator

Speak from your chest sweetie.

Girls speak more naturally through their mask. Their voice is centered around their upper palate or nose.

A boy's voice resonates in his chest. You can practice a little by putting your hands on your throat and moving up and down through your range. Ahh from the top of your range (as high as you can go) and drop it to the bottom of your range (as low as it gets). Feel the difference in vibration with your fingers. Once you've got that, practice speaking in the lower register. It takes a lot of practice, and more lessons than I can type here, but that's the beginning. You'll totally get it.

Hugs!

28 minutes ago, A. Dillon said:

Yeah, it is almost always lowered. I also have always talked with a lot of pitches, doing impression and weird voices, so it is not all the time. But if I am at school or anywhere other than with my immediate family, it drops to the floor. If you have ever heard a clip of me talking on here, that is how my voice just is.

Pff, I wanna be a voice actor because I can do lots of different voices 

28 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

Speak from your chest sweetie.

Girls speak more naturally through their mask. Their voice is centered around their upper palate or nose.

A boy's voice resonates in his chest. You can practice a little by putting your hands on your throat and moving up and down through your range. Ahh from the top of your range (as high as you can go) and drop it to the bottom of your range (as low as it gets). Feel the difference in vibration with your fingers. Once you've got that, practice speaking in the lower register. It takes a lot of practice, and more lessons than I can type here, but that's the beginning. You'll totally get it.

Hugs!

WO- WHAT the-  my mind is blown. I have never tried that, that's so bizarre lmao 

Yeah, try to feel the vibrations in your mouth coming from the back of your throat instead of your mouth. Sounds weird, I know, but if you try it enough you will start to be able to tell the difference. It doesn't happen over night, and you can often feel more pain and experience more cracking in the start before you become adjusted to it.

38 minutes ago, A. Dillon said:

Yeah, try to feel the vibrations in your mouth coming from the back of your throat instead of your mouth. Sounds weird, I know, but if you try it enough you will start to be able to tell the difference. It doesn't happen over night, and you can often feel more pain and experience more cracking in the start before you become adjusted to it.

oki I will let you know how it goes :))

In chorus you're taught to use your thoracic diaphragm to give more boom to your vocals. It's beneath your lungs when you breath. When you learn how to control this muscle through deep breathing exercises, you can gain control how much air leaves the bag and how fast. To get deeper tones, you need to open those inner pipes up to let more sound through, and your diaphragm will help push that air out. The tighter you make or leave your throat the higher the pitch. You breath in deep, filling your chest with as much air as possible, then slowly breathing out all the air and repeat a few times. Simple warm ups. I liked warming up with the Mystics from the movie "Dark Crystal." I'd use to play the part where they each sing a single deep note it made the perfect warm up to get those deeper tones. ?