• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Changes in musical tastes after starting HRT

Erikka

A change I have noticed after two and a half years on estrogen is my taste in music genres has changed. DD1 made a comment about the style of music I listen to now. Favorites like Social Distortion, the Ramones, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath have given way to Gone West, Adele, Avril Lavigne,  Lana Del Rey, Meredith Brooks and Lisa Loeb. Apparently I don't change the station when I get inn her car.

Velsignelser

Erikka

• Forum Moderator

I'm not sure it is estrogen causing the change.  Time is probably a bigger determinant.  As we age it seems (IMO) we open our minds to other genre's and sounds just as we (hopefully) think more about others.  Although music you were exposed to as a youngster may play a role.  I know it did for me.

Jani

• Forum Moderator

it's a life in the key of E :)

Our tastes do evolve over time, just as Jani eludes to above.

My sweetie keeps exposing me to newer music, but I don't let go of many of the classics either,

Music is a life continuum....

Cyndee

Something I learnt quite awhile ago was that music affects your mood.

Listen to music that lifts you up, puts you a good mood.

If you listen to some music and you feel down, anxious or unsettled, there might be something hitting a nerve you don't know about.

Likewise if you are listening to something associated with a good, nice or uplifting event in your life it can put a spring in your step.

Now if only I could get my head around this guitar learning stuff, I could play what makes me feel happy ?

• Forum Moderator
8 hours ago, Robin.C said:

music affects your mood.

Ahh yes, so true!  I can always find something in my collection to bring me up on a down day.  

Before HRT, through music, both listening and playing, was the only way I could really explore and express my feelings. It is truly a wonder that we can create, appreciate and interpret something so simple as pressure waves in the air.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 11:36 PM, Robin.C said:

Something I learnt quite awhile ago was that music affects your mood.

Listen to music that lifts you up, puts you a good mood.

In my limited experience, 8 months into transition, I've found that music is such a huge determinant as to how it affects my mood.

A favorite piece of music of mine has always been Pink Floyd's The Wall. When I was in the midst of a life changing divorce 6 years ago, I was on the edge. I realized that if I kept listening to The Wall, I'd conclude my life with a tragic end. So, I quickly shifted gears and started listening to lighter stuff. I won't even go into what it was, as it borders on embarrassing.

Anyway, it has a hugh effect on my mindset.