• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

2 Milestones - Electrolysis and new Gender Therapist

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

I have been on HRT for about 6 weeks and have been on my health care network's waiting list that long to have a GT. I contacted the office of my former therapist who added a woman psychologist who has experience with Gender  Dysphoria and although doesn't take insurance I will pay out of pocket. IF I'm lucky I will be able to get a referral letter from both for surgery and that would be worth the money. 

The bonus is she is located in my town - like 5 minutes away so that is good and my first appointment is Monday. Can I hear an amen?

I also start my full session electrolysis today and I know it will hurt but it will be hurt of joy - I went for consult Monday and she did a few samples to see how I reacted and it wasn't any worse then getting my one tattoo so I'm pumped for that and she is also in town and reasonable in price because of being in a small market.

If this works - I will be a very lucky and happy girl - because both of the needed processes I need now in my jorney to wholeness are nearby and for a town like Mount Vernon, Ohio with a population of 18,000 that would be anothr sign to me that this is meant to be.

I know this is something nearly everything here goes through and I don't want to bore you and some of you have been so kind in letting me "discover" so many things you already know but maybe it will make you smile fondly on memories and thank God your way beyond those early days.

Shay 

• Forum Moderator

Wow, 6 weeks already!  I hope you can meet with a therapist soon.  While I've never gotten a tattoo, I might venture a guess that electrolysis is a bit more.  All my best to you as this is a definitely a right of passage.  Your town has three times the population that mine does.  I know of several electrologists within a 15 mile area so there may be others nearby if the place you selected doesn't work out well.  You're on your way! 

Jani

• Forum Moderator

First electro went fine easier then expected including the area around the philtrum that electrologist says is generally the most sensitive on the face. First visit with new therapist Monday. Moving right along. Going to do electrolysis once a week for 30 minute sessions ... Doing all dark hairs first around mustache area that are the most pesky and should only take 3. Or 4 session for the first go round ten to the gray ones.

Straight on girl.

When I started electro it took 3 hours to clear my lips. You said your beard is thin, that's great!

• Forum Moderator

Any little thing helps....i really don't have any chest hair to speak of either so another plus. 

Dam Shay

I on 53 hrs of Elect  and i still have 250 to go. I going to be honest. Getting a tatto is child play compared to get Electrolysis that ship is painful as heck..

Congrat's sweetie

Great strides 

e

• Forum Moderator

Thanks. Everyone's body is different ( how well we especially know). For my body it doesn't hurt as much as many of you have mentioned. I guess I am lucky in that regard and I certainly am happy about one thing that hasn't been as painful as that other things I have been through in 68 years....if you only knew....hugs

Congratulations!

How exciting to be 6 weeks in! Super happy it seems you’re on a path to achieving you’re lifelong need/desires! 

all my best ❤️

Lexi, I relate!!

My first few hour sessions cleared my lips.  I was gung ho, and using no numbing.  Then we started the cheeks.

The second time through the lips a month later they hit a nerve or something.  I went through the ceiling and it was never the same for me again. Lido didn't help enough.

My electro had to work on other parts of my face until we convinced a nearby dentist to numb my lips.

By the time covid hit, and my electro and me broke up, I'd been cleared 20 times.  2 to 2 1/2 hour sessions. 

The rest of my face isn't bad pain.   No numbing required, I could even nap through it.

Couple months ago I had a few zapped on my upper lip by a different tech, and it wasn't so bad.  Either a different technique, or it's just not so bad with shorter sessions (easier to tolerate when you know it's over in a few minutes).  I get squirmy in the chair after a while, and it's worse for me later in the day.

Heather Shay I believe you. 

We are all different.

Special even.

I'd bet most of us got here on a short bus.

• Forum Moderator

I believe there are nerves close to the surface on our upper lip.  There is a specific spot that I dreaded because it was going to send me reeling.  I never used any numbing.  I avoid caffeine (coffee, chocolate) the morning of my appointment and I take an acetaminophen just prior to.  I find that helps.  The more you go the easier it gets as your body gets used to it.    

• Forum Moderator

Even in?the philtrum area (groove below nose) it wasn't that painful for me my electrologist says that tends to be the most sensitive. No swelling at all this morning. I think I will be a lucky one as far as this process...a little victory for my body or is it my mind

Congratulations, that's fantastic progress.  I might have to switch to electrolysis for my face once the laser treatments have taken care of all the dark hairs.  I don't have a lot of them, but the gray hairs are annoying sometimes.

• Forum Moderator

what do you mean ...sometimes - now that I am working diligently on ridding my face of hair - all of the hair there bothers me all of the time...LOL

Wow Shay

That's is great I am with M.M i doing my lips and  mustache .I amdit i have a lot of grey hairs and the most be bunker in cause Ii literally scream while in her chair. and i soak my face with numb cream.. 

Your so luck

• Forum Moderator

My HRT. Nurse practitioner tasked me if I wanted a prescription to help with electrolysis and I told her it wasn't that bad but who knows maybe it was a fluke the first time. Next session next Wednesday. Will report.

• Forum Moderator

How are you doing @Kylie I hope Mattie is making a real fuss and you are feeling better.

I feel like I am doing things so out of order. I have even looked into electrolysis yet but I did find out my insurance may cover some of it when I do.

• Forum Moderator

That is good...any expense you don't have to take out of your pocket is good. And I don't think there is any set order...there is your order for you and my order for me and everyone's order is different so you are fine doing what feels right for you.

I have made so many mistakes along the way but those are my mistakes and I've learned from them I hope. I will make plenty more and being human I suspect you will to so don't be hard on yourself. The wonderful ladies will help both of us try to keep our mistakes to a minimum and that is fantastic.

@Shay I’m okay - been just exhausted since I’ve been home. Just have some struggles right now; but I’m slowly managing how to deal with things. Matty has been by my side since I’ve been home! I love it. 

• Forum Moderator

Sorry I misspelled Matty's name. He deserves correctly spelled name. You take it easy and know I am having empathy pains for you. heal soon lady and keep getting the rest you need.

Hey Elizabeth. Yeah Shay is right. Find out if they cover it and they should. Its consider a Medical need esp if yr thinking of FFS. 

Kyle i glad your feel better

Shay. WAIT THERE'S A DRUG I  can take for the pain!!!!! 

Where, what's the name, who do i kill and where can i get it

• Forum Moderator
On 8/19/2020 at 7:59 AM, Shay said:

I will be a very lucky and happy girl - because both of the needed processes I need now in my jorney to wholeness

Late congrats on both these huge milestones, @Shay. You’re becoming more ‘the real you’ every day.

My Best,

Susan R?

On 8/19/2020 at 11:59 PM, Shay said:

Can I hear an amen?

Amen! Heather Shay!  Congratulations on both accounts.  Very happy everything is moving forward in a positive way for you.

Enjoy your Therapy sessions (and don't hold back).  I think you are REALLY going to see this as a huge benefit to not just your transition, but your whole Live❣️