• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Being trans and having autism

A. Dillon

I don't want to jump to conclusions or act like a medical professional, but based upon all the information I have read about the condition, talks with my therapist and psychologist, and well as corroboration from my sister, I have autism. It sucks. I am this rational, calm, by all accounts logical human being trapped by a wall of insane emotions. I go from fine to optimistic to inconsolably depressed within a single day. I know that what I say and express to the people around me seem like the ramblings of a crazy person, but try as I may I can't stop it. No one understands when I try to explain it either. They just assume that I am doing it on purpose, trying to make them mad. I can't see a way out a lot of the time. This is not to say that I am always suicidal. No, sometimes I could not be happier. But it is empty.

My emotions don't feel like my own. What I actually think and care about are here, while my mood is                                                                                                                over there. I am asked all the time why I have said or done something, but I have no clue. This clashes with me being trans because my brain will go off on tirades about my dysphoria. It feels as though I am being tortured. Nothing can be just let go, if I have a bad or painful memory it will be triggered every day like clockwork. It is like I am sinking into ice water - I am completely numb and yet in horrible pain.

I have spent so much of my life trying to overcome my failures. No one in my family ever saw signs of autism, because I was so good at hiding and am cognitively sound. As far as my parents were concerned, if I got A's nothing could be wrong. I don't even know what to do anymore, but I am sitting here on the brink of tears for reasons beyond my comprehension unable to do anything but type. Can anyone relate at all?

Dear @A. Dillon, I'm so sorry to hear you're going through such a challenging time emotionally. I hope getting some of your thoughts and feelings out through writing has given you some release of all that energy that's built up inside of you. While I can't relate what the experience of being autistic, I do very much relate to having strong and fluctuating emotions about my identity and how I express myself. You're right though, it can be challenging for others who don't share that with us to understand where we're coming from and especially if we're not sure ourselves. I'm so glad you have such supportive relationships with your therapist and psychologist who can both help you in talking about your identity and do so with a sensitivity towards your unique situation.

Always know that you're not alone on this path, there is much love and support for you here during this difficult time.

Love,

~Audrey.

Thank you. I signed up for a support group for people with autism that runs every Tuesday, which makes me feel a bit more hopeful. While my parents don't understand and are often fairly oblivious, my mom is trying to listen. For now I am just going to try and relax. The last thing I need is more stress.

Again, thank you. Even just getting one reply, one comment helps a lot when I am on edge.

You're most welcome! I'm happy to hear you've found a support group, and I hope that connecting with the other members and the group leader will give you a space to share your experience in a safe and judgment-free way and to hear from others like you. Also I'm glad that your mother is making the effort to listen and support you with what you're going through right now.

Love,

~Audrey.

• 1 month later...

Hi A.Dillon: As an Autistic person, I understand some of the many facets of the affliction, condition, disease? I don't know what it's called exactly, but I do know the very different faces of Autism. It runs in families, it's hereditary, popping up when least expected, it is hard to diagnose, and when I was born, it wasn't even identified, so my childhood was very confusing. Luckily, nowadays doctors have a handle on it. You should go see a doctor who can test and identify where you are on the spectrum to determine the best course of treatment for you (not your sister). My son, who is more autistic than me was teaching college courses when he was 12, and is quite accomplished in his life. We all can be. We must identify our specific strengths and capitalize on them. Some call it their superpower, you must identify and use your superpower for the greater good.

Hugs, Wanda

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 94 Guests (See full list)

• Ashley0616
    • Ivy
    • Mmindy
    • Betty K
    • missyjo
    • Karen Carey
    • Lydia_R
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Justine76
    Newest Member
    Justine76

1. April Marie
      April Marie
    2. daniela...
      daniela...
      (59 years old)
    3. Emily May
      Emily May
    4. Felixr
      Felixr
      (20 years old)
    5. Leann
      Leann
      (56 years old)
    • missyjo
      but on a real naive level..isn't my sexuality, who I have sex with, like my genitals .only relevant to those I'm inviting to share my bed?   I don't know..but I think he's trying n that's all I can ask. I believe he's struggling to be able to mesh his religious thoughts with somehow still having a sibling..though I'm fairly certain he would pay me, literally, if  I'd I would "just  act normal."."act like a man"and puz all this "sissy -transgender- " stuff aside..and all those other expressions that erase us n ignore us   he asked me not to drag him to any -transgender- bars...like Applebee's? laugh   oh well, trying is better than not, much better   enjoy Tuesday dears   hugs
    • Ivy
      For the most part, yes. But there are some that actually are calling for our eradication - in so many words.  That still means what it means.   https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/cpac-speaker-transgender-people-eradicated-1234690924/  
    • Mmindy
      Both dinners sound great.    We had bratwurst, purple cabbage, scalloped potatoes and applesauce. Followed by a slice of carrot cake and cinnamon tea.    Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • Mmindy
      Good morning everyone,    I hope you’re ready for a beautiful day. We’ve had several days of rain and this morning was a clear sunrise leading into a near summer like day. My tulips have dropped all their petals so now it’s time to fill in around them with pansies.    I’m just finishing up my second cup of coffee and getting ready for a day in the shop putting the final touches on a propane training prop. Simulating a bulk transport tank.    Best wishes, stay motivated,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋    
    • Lydia_R
      Congrats Carla!   Hugs, Lydia
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Last night we had a soup made of sausage, potatoes, spinach, and onions.  Also some whole wheat flatbread.   Our meals here are often simple, because we have a huge family. We have to cook cafeteria quantities of everything.
    • Mirrabooka
      Tonight we had a couple of thin cut scotch fillet steaks fried in butter, with a tomato/onion/breadcrumb bake, accompanied with peas & broccolini, with instant mushroom & garlic gravy. 
    • KymmieL
      Happy Birthday, @April Marie
    • Lydia_R
      This is what I've been working on the last few days:   3:38am (the next day) I just pulled up a website to do the arc tangent function because the Windows scientific calculator doesn't do that function.  I entered in the .577 number and did an atan on it and it came back with .523 which is what I was expecting.  The .577 number is the result of the opposite over the adjacent and the .523 is the circumference measure to 30 degrees and is one of those numbers I memorized in February 2004.  That's an interesting story in my book.   So, the lessons I learned last night are that .577 is the result of a ratio.  The idea here is how to convert that decimal back to a ratio.  Andy helped with that last night.  He said "just divide by 10!"  I was like, oh my, that makes sense!  Andy is good for a laugh like that!  I had come home from a walk to the store and was hot on the idea of division and the musical connect to Ed Sheeran and Pink Floyd's The Division Bell.  I don't know either one of them very well, but I am hot on the idea of writing a function that does division.  And that brings up the subject of how a computer does multiplication.  I talked with Andy about that and I said that my dad just beat the multiplication tables into me.  I remember not getting it.  I would tell my dad "why do I have to memorize this stuff?"  And he would say "you just do."  And ironically, it was the same way with trigonometry on the streets.  With trig, the numbers only matter so that you can grasp the concept of it all.  They don't matter, but there is the magic of the sine of 30 degrees being .5 and how that points to 12 and the overtone series / cycle of 5ths.  That's pretty amazing stuff and then Andy was trying to draw a conclusion to 24 hours a day.  I insisted that that application of 24 was man-made and he was not convinced.  Then he brought up the year being about 360 days, or perhaps I brought that up.  That is not a man-made number (365) and it's really odd having that and the connection to 12.  It's just a coincidence, buy Andy was trying to draw some conclusion from it.  And then I brought up the thing with the moon appearing to be the same size as the sun.  And that got Andy brining up more conclusions.   Then I abandoned the conversation and my next thought on the subject was that this whole thing is about ratios and how I was using ratios to do my collision detection before I started studying trig.  I then took a look at the calulators on my screen.  What is this .577 number?  That is not the arc tangent of 30 degrees, is it?  I swear that I'm correct about the arc tangent of 30 degrees being .523.  I've been spouting that number off consistently since Feburary 2004.  So then I got out my Plane Trigonometry book and looked up 30 degrees.  Sure enough, .523 is correct.  But then from having looked at that row of numbers, I got the idea that if you had any one of those numbers and knew which function it was under, then you should be able to figure out the rest.  They are all the result of a ratio and the idea is to convert them back to ratios and cross multiply and divide.  And I mentioned that to Andy, or did he bring up cross multiplying and dividing when I was talking about ratios?  We basically got to that at the same time and I was impressed that Andy knew about it.   So, I think all the keys are here and it's almost time for me to start coding a division function and then a trigonometric function.  If it can be done, I should be able to have this coded in the next couple days, although I'm stretched pretty thin with this political stuff.  We'll see.  It's an interesting project.   One of the key things that got me going on this the other day was how the .3333 number came up.  I had recognized that as 30 degrees expressed in grads.  And that brought up the thought of base 10.  All these hard number calculations started off with 30 degrees which is equivalent to 33.33 grads.  90 degrees = 100 grads, 360 degrees = 400 grads.  I learned that over a decade ago by entering in some of these numbers into a calculator and playing with the grads button.  Anyway.  I love triangulation.  
    • Lydia_R
      Oh my, here it comes...     It looks like there is a half moon out my window...  4:51am    
    • KatieSC
      While it is encouraging that they have deemed that they cannot ban the treatment, the bigger question is what treatments they will cover as a result. Speaking as a transgender female, this is a difficult definition. A fair number of insurance plans already cover the basic vaginoplasty, however, for those of us who have a rather masculine appearing face, a heavy beard, a deep voice, and other defining characteristics, attaining a passing feminine appearance is difficult without gender-affirming facial feminization surgery, genital and facial electrolysis, speech therapy and if necessary, gender affirming voice surgery, as well as other body contouring procedures. I view all of these procedures as life-saving in the sense that blending in, and thus avoiding an assault can come down to looking and sounding like you are female. I think the transgender males have a bit more ease with blending in than we do. There will be disagreements as to what constitutes enough surgery to be your truest self. We all pretty much understand that our true gender is locked in our mind. The issue is what can we do to modify our bodies enough to get the congruence between what is in our head, and how we perceive ourselves in the world. Is some of it cosmetic? That is hard to say for sure. I have had insurance companies insist that facial electrolysis is purely cosmetic. Well, most women do not have an Abraham Lincoln beard coming through. Some insurance companies have insisted that speech/voice therapy, as well as voice surgery, are purely cosmetic. I scoured the cosmetic counters for any makeup that would enhance my voice. Being feminine and passing does not mean I get to look and sound like Fred Flintstone in a dress. That kind of weirds folks out, and sets us up to be ridiculed and assaulted in my estimation.   My one insurer told me that beyond the vaginoplasty that all of this was cosmetic. In an appeal hearing, I asked the group that if they had a 14 year old daughter who was in an accident that resulted in a large facial scar, would they want the child to receive the best care to remove the scar? Of course they would. I pointed out though, that while she may have the scar, she could live with it. I asked them if the removal of the disfiguring scar in a 14-year old would be difficult for the child when the other kids made fun of her. Of course, they all nodded their head. I explained to the group that for folks like us, it is no different. While it may be cosmetic to a point, these procedures are essential to our well-being, and not something we are doing to be on a YouTube channel.   Now some who are trans, or gender fluid, may not want to opt for the procedures. There are quite a few of us that do, but the cost is prohibitive. What also clouds the issue are the surgeons who operate out of large medical centers who participate in the large insurance pools. How many of our sisters and brothers have had to pony up some major dollars to a surgeon who is out of network? Good luck trying to get the surgery paid for by your insurer. They may pay you what they pay the surgeons in network, but you won't get that much in reimbursement. A fair number of insurance companies balk at speech and voice therapy, and many will not cover voice surgery. Then there is the issue of electrolysis. A day at the "spa" for electrolysis with anesthetics will run around 3,000 bucks or so, and you may need many repeat visits. Many of the insurers fail to pay for that as well. Just about none of the insurers will cover body contouring procedures such as a panniculectomy, or liposuction. When the insurance companies will just help us become our truest selves, then we will have progress with gender identity laws.   The one good thing that this decision does is preserve the primary care for transgender individuals. I have to wonder how Florida and the rest of the states who have banned having Medicaid cover transgender healthcare are going to act. This should be an interesting fight. When we have the ability to seek care and get what we need for our true needs, without any pre-judgements, then these court orders will mean something. A court order without parameters for the insurance companies is hollow.
    • Mirrabooka
      @April MarieI just noticed that it's your birthday today! Happy Birthday to you!!!!!! 🥳🎂🎁🎉❤️
    • Mirrabooka
      Morning y'all, fingers crossed for everyone who has stuff going on.   Welcome back to reality @April Marie, enjoy your improving weather!   Why is it that we humans always take too long to acclimatize to the changing seasons, especially when it gets colder like it is here? Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age, lol.    
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      Speculation , worst or best case, neither.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.