• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Reliving the 'good ole daze'

KathyLauren

• Forum Moderator

Decades ago, I was in the air force (RCAF).  It was probably the most fun I have had in my life, and certainly the most rewarding job.  I couldn't stay, I'm just not the military type, and I was a square peg in a round hole for reasons that I didn't understand at the time.  But it was about the most fun a person could have with their clothes on.

There's a Facebook page for the aircraft that I flew, and I am finding more and more of the people I knew back in the day showing up on it.  I am pretty active on the page, so, although I don't talk about my current situation, it is pretty obvious to anyone who knew me what my story is.  I have confirmed with several of them that they had indeed figured out about my transition, without it ever having been mentioned.

I just had another one, a former coursemate, make contact online today.  We ended up having a long telephone conversation catching up on the last 40 years.

The absolute best part is that no one cares about my transition!  These are all people in their 60s and 70s, all ex-military, the kind of people that you would expect to be a bit conservative.  And yet, without exception, they see me as a former colleague who remembers enough to have some good stories to share over a virtual beer.  I get to be myself, not hiding anything, and there is no elephant in the room.  Officers and gentlemen (and a handful of ladies), every one.

Every time someone treats me like that, I am helping to normalize our presence in the world.  I am sure there are people who show up, figure out that I used to be him, and aren't quite sure how they feel about it.  When others, by their interactions with me, demonstrate that they know who I am and are totally fine with me, it creates peer pressure to treat me as just another former pilot.  In the long run, that helps us all.

It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. :)

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story, Kathy! It warms my heart to hear that people you've known long ago accept and embrace you as you are today and without judgment. It's a wonderful reminder that, while our fears and worries about transphobia are indeed real and valid, there are kind and understanding people out there who will respect us all the same. Makes the future look more hopeful for all transgender people. I'm so happy for you!

Love,

~Audrey.

• Forum Moderator

Kathy this is so beautiful to read.  I imagine it would definitely give a warm fuzzy feeling!  Apparently you served with an amazing group of people.  You are certainly one also! 

Jani