• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I know it's just semantics - but my logic on using GCS instead of GRS or SRS

Heather Shay

• Forum Moderator

I know there are various terms for bottom surgery but for some reason I lend towards what I would call Gender Confirmation Surgery instead of Gender Reassignment Surgery. 

Confirmation feels to me like it was always there but now nature is getting fixed and Reassignment feels like a conscious decision needed to be made and I know I've been in denial my whole life and scared and afraid NOT to deny but I don't need to decide anything. I have always been female - just now I want to have that confirmed for the rest of society to acknowledge by having the proper plumbing - as with people with mental disabilities - society as a whole can't accept them because they can't SEE the disability and the confirmation surgery allows the average person to possibility accept the MTF more readily - it's not a slam dunk but it helps.

• Forum Moderator

I always preferred the term "GCS" Gender Confirmation Surgery myself. There are many acronyms out there that describe essentially the same procedure(s). 

Hugs

C

• Forum Moderator

I've always thought of it as Genital Realignment Surgery as thats whats happening.  The surgery did not confirm my gender, I already knew what it was.  Likewise it didn't reassign my gender either.  

• Forum Moderator

Majestic Gender Resurrection? I don't know, something more metal.

They called it Gender Confirmation Surgery when I did it and I'm really OK with that. Honestly, I didn't care what they called it, so long as they did it?

Hugs!