• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Lubrication for dilation recommendation

Aurora

Hey all.  Looking for any recommendation on what type of lube I should get for my dilation?  As my surgery is getting close and my doctor will provide a few but wanting to make sure that I have enough on hand wile recovering and doing my dilating and want to buy some lube now to have on hand.  So just looking for any recommendation

• Forum Moderator

I just use Surgilube. I can get a bunch at once, and it's the same stuff my surgeon gave me in Philly. On the four times a day schedule, the twelve pack kept me for about a month and a half.

Hugs!

• Charlize changed the title to Lubrication for dilation recommendation

I used Surgilube initially, as it was what was given to me. For me, the glycerin caused a lot of issues with bacterial overgrowth during the first two weeks which caused me a terrible smell. So my surgeon recommended something glycerin/paraben free. I did a lot of research and found Slippery Wet Stuff on Amazon. You can buy huge bottles and they would last me 3 weeks at a time during the first few months of rigorous dilating. I’m down to one time a day now so I imagine it will last me months. Everyone has different experiences with what works best for them. Just no silicone from what I’ve been told as it is hard to clean from inside and can cause buildup of dead skin. 

I just ordered off Amazon 48x 4.5oz tubes of the Surgilube.  I hope that will be enough for my first 3 months when my life revolves around dilating

• Forum Moderator

48 tubes should be PLENTY. On a three dilator regimen, 12 kept me in lube for about 6 weeks.

Hugs!

Kool.  My doctor was telling me about the dialtors and that I will be starting out on the Purple one and then there is the blue and then the green and then the scary orange one.  That orange one scares the hell out of me

• Forum Moderator

My doctor never gave me the orange one. She said too many of her patients were hurting themselves with it. I could probably manage it, but I don't see why I'd want to.

My regimen was always purple (5m), then blue (5m), then green (10m). Using three at once burns more lubricant than one or two at a time, but as it turns out you don't need as much as you think you do. Don't worry about "wasting" it. There's no such thing as too much lubricant. Especially in the beginning. You'll get a feel for how much you actually need once you've been doing it a while.

Hugs!

2 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

My doctor never gave me the orange one. She said too many of her patients were hurting themselves with it. I could probably manage it, but I don't see why I'd want to.

My regimen was always purple (5m), then blue (5m), then green (10m). Using three at once burns more lubricant than one or two at a time, but as it turns out you don't need as much as you think you do. Don't worry about "wasting" it. There's no such thing as too much lubricant. Especially in the beginning. You'll get a feel for how much you actually need once you've been doing it a while.

Hugs!

Who was your doctor?  I am currently scheduled with Dr. Satterwhite in San Francisco but also looking at Dr. Crane now in Austin TX and hope to get in quick as my mom who will be there for me is afraid of California and since I cannot find anyone to go with me to california I am having to look again and hope that Dr. Crane cane get me in around the same time

• Forum Moderator

I saw Doctor Rumer in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, Pennsylvania currently has a travel ban in effect so we're working on rescheduling my revision for when it gets lifted. You can get around it if you can self-quarantine in state for two weeks though.

Tragically, I don't know anybody there who wants me crashing on their couch so I have to wait.

Hugs!

2 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

I saw Doctor Rumer in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, Pennsylvania currently has a travel ban in effect so we're working on rescheduling my revision for when it gets lifted. You can get around it if you can self-quarantine in state for two weeks though.

Tragically, I don't know anybody there who wants me crashing on their couch so I have to wait.

Hugs!

That is how California is and I really dont know anyone in California that I can crash on their couch and then go for surgery and end up recovering in their place for 3 weeks.

• Forum Moderator

Three weeks? They let me go home after one. I took the train. Don't do that.

The point being that I only spent nine days in Philly. It would have to be three weeks NOW because of the pandemic. They'd have to be really good friends too. I'd hate to bowel prep at a friend's house. We'd have to be really close. Like they owe me a kidney close. Honestly bowel prep was (for me anyway) the most horrifying part of the process.

Wow. Bowel prep flashbacks. Brrr.

Hugs!

1 hour ago, Jackie C. said:

Three weeks? They let me go home after one. I took the train. Don't do that.

The point being that I only spent nine days in Philly. It would have to be three weeks NOW because of the pandemic. They'd have to be really good friends too. I'd hate to bowel prep at a friend's house. We'd have to be really close. Like they owe me a kidney close. Honestly bowel prep was (for me anyway) the most horrifying part of the process.

Wow. Bowel prep flashbacks. Brrr.

Hugs!

According to Dr. Satterwhite.

After surgery you spend 2 days in the hospital 

Then you go to where you are staying.

On the first post-op which is 1 week from surgery, is the big unveiling and removal of the cather and learn how to dilate

Second post-op is checking up on how the healing is going on how the dilation is going.

Third post-op is another check up on healing and dilation before you get to go home if you are out of state.

This way, it is to prevent any immediate revisions that need to happen

• Forum Moderator

Nah, Doctor Rumer didn't do that to me. We checked in by e-visit and had me get a local gynecologist after one week.

I stayed overnight in the hospital from my surgery date, and stayed in the hospital to that Friday so three days overnight. Flat on my back. I wasn't allowed more than fifteen degrees of elevation, which sucked because I can't eat like that (as in there was a lot of vomiting). They didn't walk me until the last day.

Then I stayed in the hotel Friday night and went back for the catheter and packing removal the following Tuesday. After that I was free to do whatever. Mostly walk slowly and lay down a lot. Dilation started when I got back to the hotel. Four times a day for the first month.

Surgeons really have different protocols.

For the revision, it's going to be almost the same deal, but there's no hospital stay and I don't have to do a bowel prep. I also get a week off dilation because I'm going to be full of packing again. She doesn't want me dilating on the fresh stitches.

Hugs!

4 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

Nah, Doctor Rumer didn't do that to me. We checked in by e-visit and had me get a local gynecologist after one week.

I stayed overnight in the hospital from my surgery date, and stayed in the hospital to that Friday so three days overnight. Flat on my back. I wasn't allowed more than fifteen degrees of elevation, which sucked because I can't eat like that (as in there was a lot of vomiting). They didn't walk me until the last day.

Then I stayed in the hotel Friday night and went back for the catheter and packing removal the following Tuesday. After that I was free to do whatever. Mostly walk slowly and lay down a lot. Dilation started when I got back to the hotel. Four times a day for the first month.

Surgeons really have different protocols.

For the revision, it's going to be almost the same deal, but there's no hospital stay and I don't have to do a bowel prep. I also get a week off dilation because I'm going to be full of packing again. She doesn't want me dilating on the fresh stitches.

Hugs!

I know how each doctor has their own post-op procedures.  The doctor that I am going to usually does everything in the first round and and has had 90% success rate with not needing to go back for a revision.  The doctor said how he does get the 1 off individual who needs a revision.  But it's rare for them just cause they keep you in the area for 3 weeks to really keep a close eye on you and also they really take safety seriously which is what I like as I have already had 1 major surgery.  So this is going to be my second.