• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trans acceptance in Orthodox Jewish communities

Audrey

Hi everyone,

So I've been thinking a lot about how I will navigate coming out at work. While I have some anxiety about my colleagues, I have far more about the clients I work with. A number of them are Orthodox Jewish, and would be the most likely to become cold, distant, or even hostile to a transgender person, based on the sense I've developed over the last several years. Generational attitudes may also come into play here too. No matter how supportive my office culture will otherwise be, I worry about these factors and it might make staying in my current job quite difficult. If anyone has any thoughts or experience they would like to share about being transgender and interacting with the Orthodox community that could help my transition, I would be very appreciative. Thanks so much!

This article from HRC has been helpful at giving me some insight:

https://www.hrc.org/resources/stances-of-faiths-on-lgbt-issues-orthodox-judaism

Love,

~Audrey.

• Forum Moderator

Dealing with any orthodox community can be difficult.  In the few interactions i have had i know i am an outsider.  In my case my interactions have been with the Muslim community.  We have provided young goats to that community.  They come to the farm and pray and sacrifice the animals before family dinners at Eids.  In dealing with Imams i have had no difficulties because of my gender.  Hopefully you will find the same from a community that shares so many beliefs.

As an aside I have never brought up my gender but after spending days with these folks it may well be apparent.  

I have an acquaintance who teaches at a well known Yeshiva in NY.  She transitioned at work and survived.

Hugs,

Charlize 

• Admin
Carolyn Marie

As far as I know the Orthodox Jewish hierarchy (Rabbis and such) do not accept transgender Jews.  How they feel about transgender gentiles is unknown to me.  I have had very little dealings with the Conservative wing of Judaism, but of those contacts I have had most were polite but standoffish.  The Reform wing is very accepting and tolerant, amazingly so.

I do know that trans men have been barred from praying at the Western Wall in Jerusalem if it becomes known to those in charge.  Like @Charlizesaid, the orthodox of most any religion are very set in their ways and slow to change.  That doesn't mean they can't change, but it just takes much longer.  I don't envy your position, Audrey, but you never know about individual attitudes.  There was a very orthodox Catholic in my office, and I expected some hostility when I announced my transition.  But he was very accepting and kind.  We are often the first trans person folks have ever met, and when faced with someone they know who's taken that big step, hearts do soften.  I've seen it happen many times.  So please don't discount that possibility.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Thank you @Charlize and @Carolyn Marie for sharing your thoughts. I feel the situation isn't hopeless, and we have many clients who are Reform Jewish and I imagine they will be far more supportive and understanding. The Orthodox Jewish clients are a smaller but very visible minority. I'm finding solace in the fact that I have worked in my current position for several years and have an extremely positive reputation among all of our clients. I'm hopeful that this will help ease the acceptance with individual clients, though it will be slow. Everything else about me that they've come to know isn't changing - just my outward gender expression is changing. The thing about Orthodox Judaism is the very strict gender roles that define so many aspects of life, and the concept that it's possible to switch those roles could be quite the hurdle for some. I'll follow the Tzniut when it comes time to returning to the office even though I'm not Jewish myself (well technically I am but only vaguely culturally observant). I feel the other important aspect is the tone the executive director (she's also my supervisor) sets, and we have a wonderfully inclusive environment on many other fronts - but I will be the very first transgender person many will have ever met, and I hope to set the most positive example I can to help challenge any transphobia people may be harboring. Thanks again for commenting!

Love,

~Audrey.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

• Maid In Bedlam
    • Gabriel
    • KathyLauren
    • Linda Marie
    • Charlize
    • Stefi
    • Drayse
    • claire1000
    • DeeDee
    • miz miranda
    • ValerieRun
    • Jandi
    • Tasha Marie
    • Jocelyn
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Chassie
    Newest Member
    Chassie

1. Alex.G
      Alex.G
    2. GurlinCanton
      GurlinCanton
      (39 years old)
    • Linda Marie
      Well, when did I know I was in DEEP.... When my sister moved out, she left a lot of clothes. I hit the gold mine! Dresses, panties, hose, the whole nine yards, That is when I knew, I was in DEEP.  
    • Linda Marie
      Gosh, when did I realize I was in deep. Was it the time I dressed upped in my sisters clothes? We shared a bed room back then. Or was it when all I could of think was, I want to wear what's she's wearing?   What woke you up to that  Deep inner person you are today? I gave my hints up there ♥️
    • Dee Jolly
      Hi all! My name is Dee Jolly and I'm a nonbinary researcher at Boston Children's Hospital's Center for Gender Surgery. We're doing an interview study to understand transfeminine people's experiences with needing to discontinue their gender-affirming hormones (particularly estrogen) before a planned surgery and wanted to pass along our information. We are interested in understanding both what it's physically and emotionally like as well as how information is communicated about this process.   We are asking people to participate in a 45-60 minute 1-on-1 interview over Zoom with a member of the research team. People can be located anywhere in the United States or Canada to participate. The audio will be recorded. Participants will only be identified by a pseudonym of their choice to protect anonymity.   To participate, people must be: - Aged 18 years or older - Have been asked to discontinue their gender-affirming hormones (i.e., estrogen) before a planned surgery at a time when they were taking estrogen for a minimum of 12 continuous months (Surgery does not need to be gender-related). - Able to reliably access the internet - Comfortable with having audio recorded (for research purposes only).   For more info and next steps, please email [email protected] or visit cgsresearch.org/estrogen  
    • Linda Marie
      So to finish my dream and outcomes, I hope my story helps those just starting or thinking about coming out. Electrolysis came next, then the meetings, sometimes my wife would take me and read outside, she even baked cake for our meetings. I went through counseling and approved for srs, one thing was in the way...me. I still had obligations to the family. What do I do now? I called HR and my union reps, sent them pictures of me as Linda Yeah that was a rough one. But I had to protect my job. Being a federal employee also helped. We were protected!!!! This is stuff I never DREAMED I would go through.  So now I'm set so what's next. HRT, yes, and approved, also approved for breast implants.  Then I wake up. Why at my age should I go any farther? I have it all as it is, I'm outed to all and free to me at any given time.   As far as the HRT, my doctor who knows all about my lifestyle recommend I not start HRT at my age but he referred  me a plastic surgeon for breast implants, gosh  that was a bright day at the doctor's office. ( will I have them?)  I'm leaning that way. ♥️    
    • Linda Marie
      By now I'm very well known on the circuit and home life has settled. Still the fear in my wife's eyes when I went out.  I had been noticing this for a while now and finally asked her, and she blind sided me again. She told me she was scared I would not come back home, she said, and believe this...I'm scared the -transgender- circus will take you away from me. The -transgender- Circus...never heard that one before she had said it. I had a good laugh, and we both laughed. waking up from a dream I stated calling her every chance I had while I was out as Linda. I mean at least 3 times a night. I kept her up dated, Then.....electrolysis...the the meetings, counseling, ext. And finally where we are at today.  We have been married 45 years now, rain or shine♥️   
    • Jackie C.
      That's OK. I was terrible at being a boy. Hyper-masculinity wouldn't have worked (it would have been downright silly really) for me either. Things eventually worked out though.   I tried scouts when I was little to fit in with the other guys. What a disaster. I wasn't interested in anything the scout handbook had to offer and found the meetings incredibly boring. I'm also allergic to, basically, the outdoors.   While lots of girls go the hyper-masculine route to prove that they're men not all of us do. Not everybody gets an "AHA!" moment either. I had one, but it sounds like you were sure without one. Good for you.   Hugs!
    • Jackie C.
      I'm glad you're happy. Surprised there's no hoodie. I thought those were required by the FtM Authority. (Snark, obviously, wear what makes you happy. I'm glad you're happy.)   Hugs!
    • Jackie C.
      Hi Dawn and welcome to Transpulse!   Honestly, you're doing great. Be supportive, help them make decisions and, above all, love your son. You're a good parent. Don't let anybody tell you different. You may make mistakes from time to time as you adjust, but your mad parenting skills are rock solid. The world needs more parents like you.   If you're going to seek medical intervention, you should seek out a gender therapist as soon as possible. I don't know how bad your son's dysphoria is, but it could save them a ton of anxiety if they don't have to watch their body mature in a way they don't want it to. Puberty blockers, despite what certain elements would have you think, are perfectly safe, reversible (honestly they should be called puberty delayers), and were approved by the FDA back in 1973.   So yeah, feel free to ask us anything. We're glad you're here and we're here to help!   Hugs!
    • Linda Marie
      Waking up from a dream, yeah, by now I have 4 outfits, I dress up a lot, make up and all, still only dress up at home, and then. She breaks down. She unloads on me screaming and crying. I was blind sided by this, I thought all was good until this moment. I'm dressed up and she comes in and starts to scream at me. She really wasn't screaming at her husband, she was screaming at the person he was becoming.   The following week came the next volley. Now wife and our daughter tag team me with the screaming and kill you tears in their eyes. How did I handle all this? So far my daughter who was 20 at the time, my wife of 24 years at the time, and my son who at the time was 17. I mean I'm surrounded by screaming all blaming me for lying to them all these years. I was really tired of hearing the cry's at night, and totally sick of being blamed.    I sat them down, told them I will leave if you wish, if you wish me to stay, stop blaming me, and then we chilled out or I thought. When I got my name Linda Marie all hell broke loose again. It seemed to never end, all is well, then boom, all falls apart.... 
    • Jani
      At first I thought you were writing about having a dream when you slept, but I saw it was about "future dreams."   Its hard.  Before I came out I never thought much about life beyond what I was living.  Once i made the decision it opened up possibilities.  I figured relationships would go where they would.  So far its been good for me.  You are correct that in reality we do have three choices, be happy, be sad and/or just roll with it.    Cheers, Jani
    • Drayse
      My title refers to the original name of the day. It is working women who lead the charge for women's rights even today, but they get the least coverage.   If you're retired, you are a working woman. Hopefully society is looking after you for your services.   If you're a homemaker, you are a working woman usually working without pay.   If you're a breadwinner, you are a working woman, often a minimum wages.   Some corporate heads are working women, others have never been. But the struggle of working women has been what has increased their freedoms as well.   All women deserve the rights that have been gained. Let's acknowledge those who are on the front line every day today. 😊
    • Drayse
      I think I've mentioned it several times in previous threads, but I tried most of my names in gaming settings. When my therapist asked me if I had chosen a name I had already settled on Drayse. I've been Dot, Jacylene, Wisp, Tannia and various names I can't even remember, but only Drayse felt right. An old English rendition of dragon. I knew it was the right name as soon as I completed chargen and entered the game.
    • Shay
      In one way or another - young or old - surviving on minimum wage or retired or heading a corporation - all women deserve more than a day - but we'll take what we can get. May all of you feel a hug of appreciation from me today - for ALL YOU DO.
    • Shay
      Hello Dawn, Welcome to TP. There are some amazing people here, many with similar backgrounds and questions and all are great listeners, supporters and share opinions and advice based on personal experiences and more importantly based on love. Hope you find this forum filled with what you need. Shay
    • Drayse
      Hi @Dawn W., your story left me in tears. You are a very good parent and show your child so much love and support. The world needs more people like you.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.