• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sen. Rand Paul Equates GCS With 'Genital Mutilation' in Senate Hearing

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I have no polite words to express my opinion of Senator Paul.

Carolyn Marie

I removed the link, as another post has a better link.

Edited by Carolyn Marie
Removed bad link.
  • Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Jandi said:

Why are we such a big deal anyway?

We're a convenient "other" to point fingers at. They usually target trans-women because we're easier to spot and make better, "look at the freak" bits on the nightly "news." Basically, we're serving as a distraction so certain forces within our system can continue to pick the pockets of the average citizen.

Conservative politics need an "other." We're visible and too much of a minority to effectively fight back. That makes us juicy targets. They probably don't even care about the legislation, it's just about appearing to try and hurt a demographic that appears liberal to their base. Their base will put up with anything so long as they can point at someone else and say, "I'm better than them."

Hugs!

3 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

We're a convenient "other" to point fingers at. They usually target trans-women because we're easier to spot and make better, "look at the freak" bits on the nightly "news." Basically, we're serving as a distraction so certain forces within our system can continue to pick the pockets of the average citizen.

Conservative politics need an "other." We're visible and too much of a minority to effectively fight back. That makes us juicy targets. They probably don't even care about the legislation, it's just about appearing to try and hurt a demographic that appears liberal to their base. Their base will put up with anything so long as they can point at someone else and say, "I'm better than them."

Hugs!

Yes, Jackie C. Well said. Beautifully put. I couldn't have said this better, so I'll just applaud you and your service. Thanks so much.

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, ElizabethStar said:

Seriously?!? That's where we're at? Just when I thought things were getting better.

It is getting better. However, there are elements within our society that are kicking and screaming as the rest of us try to drag them, kicking and screaming, from the 16th century into the 21st.

Then there's the fascism element. Half of our government is currently flirting with the idea of uniting as a fascist state behind a strongman figure. Fascism needs an enemy. Period. Our home-grown strain focuses on people that are easy to identify, so brown people and trans-women are popular targets.

What it really comes down to is that the United States as it is, doesn't really work economically for most of the population (90-99% depending on how you're counting). Those people are, rightfully, angry. The dog and pony show we're seeing right now is our politicians (bought and paid for by the 1% of people who the economy works REALLY WELL for) trying to point that hate at an easily-identifiable target. Stuff like this is all about, "See? We're trying to defeat and limit the terrible enemy that's keeping all of you down!"

Unfortunately, a large percentage of the people who are really angry are all too willing to believe that their problems are somehow our fault so they direct their anger at us. Divide and conquer. A strategy as old as strategies because it works.

So, here we are. A scapegoat for the country's real problems so that the people on the top of the heap can avoid the part of this story when the other 99% rise up and violently correct society for another year.

Hugs!

• Admin

We have the best politicians money can buy!!  They have indeed been bought for the price they themselves asked for.

• Forum Moderator

I admit that I'm disappointed the price was so LOW though. I mean seriously.

Hugs!

4 hours ago, Jackie C. said:

What it really comes down to is that the United States as it is, doesn't really work economically for most of the population (90-99% depending on how you're counting). Those people are, rightfully, angry. The dog and pony show we're seeing right now is our politicians (bought and paid for by the 1% of people who the economy works REALLY WELL for) trying to point that hate at an easily-identifiable target. Stuff like this is all about, "See? We're trying to defeat and limit the terrible enemy that's keeping all of you down!"

What hurts so much is that so many of our countrymen (and women of course) are perfectly willing to suck this crap up.

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Jandi said:

What hurts so much is that so many of our countrymen (and women of course) are perfectly willing to suck this crap up.

It's easier to punch down on a group that's already marginalized than it is to address our systematic problems. People usually go for the easier option when they have a choice.

When you think about it, it's not too surprising that we're having a breakdown of our basic society. We're still running the beta version of democracy and our democracy providers haven't been very good about addressing our actual problems when we patch with amendments. Really, we need to switch to a new democracy provider instead of holding on to the old, buggy code.

Anybody that's worked in IT has probably seen this exact situation go down where the people in charge are keeping a system in place because it's the system they've always used, not because it's the system that meets the needs of the organization. The only solution is to train the organization on the new product and implement. There will be growing pains of course, but in the end, the organization is usually better for it.

Huh, that's actually a really good analogy. Good for me.

Hugs!