• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

So, I'm curious. Where do I fit?

Shawnster

I'm amab, I have never truly felt 100% male.... So I consider myself genderfluid....as I don't feel 100% female either...... Now I'm gonna start with hrt..... Am I now trans? Not looking to fully transition at this point... So what am I???? I know it shouldn't matter, but how do I comeout?!?!?  I'm Shawn, trans-nonbinary-genderfluid-bisexual-pansexual-feminine????? It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue...... I would love your input on this one!

Have sum fun with it!?!?!

Luv &Hugs, Shawn

Hi Shawn, it is my understanding that the first part of your statement is what qualifies you as being trans. That disconnection with the label you were given at birth.

How you find a place and which label you find that best fits your gender is not as important. You can be non binary/generdfluid or anything else if it makes you comfortable. ?

I know it shouldn't matter.... But genderfluid, as I'm starting to transition..... But not totally..... I don't think I completely trans.... As I participate in more social groups, I stumble for what to say without reciting a book... I feel like the odd duck in the group..... 

Thanks, Shawn

• Forum Moderator

In my understanding, "trans" is an umbrella term that includes anyone who is not what they were assigned at birth.  No one, in the history of the world, ever, has heard a doctor say, "Congratulations, Mrs. Smith, your baby is gender-fluid!"  So, if you are gender-fluid, that makes you trans.

Being trans and what you plan to do about it are two different things.  I know people who knew they were trans, but who chose to do nothing at all about it, for their own very good reasons.  You can be gender-fluid or gender-static, binary or non-binary, male or female, and still be trans.

And then there is the whole dimension of sexuality, which is not related to gender identity.

So, when describing yourself to others, decide what category best represents you in the particular context.  You probably won't be wrong.  But it is usually better not to overwhelm people with too much description.

• Forum Moderator

So yeah. First off, labels don't matter.

Secondly, if you don't identify with your birth gender, you aren't cis. That makes you trans.

I happen to be binary trans. A friend of mine identifies as bi-gender, they are still trans, but not binary (or only one binary at a time). My dysphoria monster wasn't happy until I got bottom surgery done. I don't feel the need for any additional surgeries. Other people feel differently and might get their voice done, their Adam's apple scraped or just get a pain old-fashioned boob job. Maybe a combination of those and some surgeries I didn't mention.

Then, of course, there's sexuality. I'm bisexual with a strong enough preference for women (if you're a guy, you better be DAMN special) that I feel comfortable calling myself a lesbian. You might prefer one or more genders to scratch your personal itch. 

So I guess the moral of the story is that if you've met one trans person: You've met one trans person. We're all different. Just concentrate on being the best you that you can be and work on feeling comfortable in your own skin.

Hugs!

Well, I think if you weren't trans you wouldn't bother with the HRT. Maybe you're genderfluid? What pronouns do you like?

I know it shouldn't matter.... But genderfluid, as I'm starting to transition..... But not totally..... I don't think I completely trans.... As I participate in more social groups, I stumble for what to say without reciting a book... I feel like the odd duck in the group..... As far as pronouns go,I get tingly when I here she/her..... But you can call me whatever..... It doesn't upset me...

Thanks, Shawn

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

But you can call me whatever.....

"Whatever" is awkward. You should try to keep it to a single syllable for pronouns. ?

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it. As your journey continues, you'll figure out what feels right for you, then go from there.

Hugs!