• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What are you doing for YOU this weekend?

Heather Shay

@AwesomeClaire I'm sorry you're Friday went that way. Big hugs and best wishes for a nice Saturday.

Last evening I met some close friends, all males. We hadn't met for months. I left with mixed feelings. The good part was catching up with each other's lives. The bad part is that there was a bit of insentitive LGBT-phobic jokes. I asked them to stop and they did, but it's discouraging how deeply ingrained that stuff is in society. Most of these guys are very tolerant and left wing, but that kind of crap seems to run on auto-pilot.

On the funny side: I'm not out yet, but I recently shaved (after 30 years) and had all body hair waxed off. So yesterday my friends must have seen my completely hairless hands and (when I took off the mask to drink) a short stubble where my thick beard was. Well, they either didn't notice anything or did notice but kept a perfectly straight face and made no comment at all. Can you believe that?

• Forum Moderator

@Beatriz Congrats on beard removal - it took me 40 years to come out of hiding. And yes I understand the auto-pilot - my left leaning friends do to and I used to act like it was ok but now I let them know it is not alright and they need to be more sensitive. Society is changing and I think the younger the person the more accepting it has become and each step forward bodes well for the future.

Thank you Beatriz and Shay for the kind words. We will see what the rest of the weekend holds...

I'm spending a good part of the weekend trying to break into my mother's partially set up iPad in order to complete the setup.  I'm almost at the point where I reset it back to factory and start from scratch with a new Apple account.  I now remember the reason I stopped writing software for Apple's when the came out with the Mac.

• Forum Moderator
On 4/24/2021 at 2:33 AM, AwesomeClaire said:

Well I thought my friday dinner date with a friend would be a good start to the weekend but... I was my usual awkward self, talked weird, I dropped food on myself, spilled water on myself, and she talked about her amazing boyfriend a lot and now I am just sad. I looked in the mirror when I got home and just felt ugly, stuck, and stupid.

I am sorry you were in a bad position over this. It's a common thing for women to talk about their latest boyfriend and is something most mtf need to learn or work out. Obviously it's hard to handle and, dependant upon sexuality, may be very difficult to handle.

My take is to just get into the smalltalk and feel your partners joy. Empathy tends to be a more female trait, but I feel it good to share your partner's emotion. Just remember that there will be many women sitting in a similar position to you feeling similar emotions, being similarly alone. I like to be friendly, chatty and take things as they come but have been, and still am sometimes, in a similar position. Mostly though, now, things seem to be better.

This weekend was less for me and more for my partner as her birthday is tomorrow.

Tracy