• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

UK MtF transitioner beginning my journey

Airlane1979

Hi all! I'm a middle-aged MtF trans woman (ooh, that's nice to write) just a little way into what I hope will be a fabulous journey. There don't seem to be any specific UK based forums for people like me so here I am. There seem to be lots of others on the same voyage of discovery contributing here, so I'll be learning plenty. I live alone and am rather isolated so forums like this one are really important for me to gain a greater understanding and knowledge. My most pressing need is to begin feminising my voice. I've asked my GP to look for NHS voice therapy. Does anyone have experience in the UK of this? Living on benefits, I can't pay. I've looked at YouTube videos and they're confusing, although the most competent seems to be Z's Trans Voice Lessons.

• Forum Moderator

Hi, Airlane1979.  Welcome.  There are a fair number of members from the UK, so hopefully someone will be able to answer your question.

Regards,

Kathy

Hi @Airlane1979 pleased to meet you :). The folks here are friendly and there is a good international mix, so plenty of perspectives! I would recommend trawling through the threads on topics that interest you and just joining in when a subject takes your fancy (Or dive into the morning coffee thread which is really just for blethering lol).

Your NHS GIC will refer you to a speech and language therapist; though mine haven't yet it is advertised as being offered, but I personally have not seen much in the way of really useful starter youtube videos in my searches - they are all either overly complicated or just adverts to drum up business.

• Forum Moderator

First of all welcome welcome welcome. You are right that there are incredible ladies here to help you with your questions and all of us willing to join you and support you on your journey.

In regard to voice I found a wonderful demonizing voice coach on YouTube who is wonderful and it's free. She calls herself the Voice Stylist and 6 has a 6 part series on voice feminization. Also Andrea James has several exercises and one other I can't recall at present.

Hugs

Heather Shay

Welcome Airlane! I've found a lot of support & advice here to help me on this journey; I'm sure you will too. I too am toying with feminizing my voice, but others here can offer much better advice. Glad you're here.

Hugs!

Delcina

• Forum Moderator

Hi Airlane,

Welcome to Transpulse. I'm glad you're here!

Lots of love and a big welcome hug,

Timber Wolf?