• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The things no one tells us about hrt.

Red_Lauren.

Something that has surprised me a girl friend who is now 10 month on HRT has been having PMS symptoms for the last 3 month almost to the day she has a couple of days where she is easily upset gets angry and cry's a lot and then she is back to her normal happy self. Any one else have any experience with having PMS symptoms?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamie68

• Jackie C.

• Ivy

• Red_Lauren.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Billie75B said:

Something that has surprised me a girl friend who is now 10 month on HRT has been having PMS symptoms for the last 3 month almost to the day she has a couple of days where she is easily upset gets angry and cry's a lot and then she is back to her normal happy self. Any one else have any experience with having PMS symptoms?

I personally don't experience this, but I know other girls who do.

Hugs!

I concur! The mental changes are so, well, odd. I once ( in my previous life ) was very prone to outbursts and getting upset easily. Now I let a lot roll off my shoulder. I am more observant now and tend to have an even mood. It is funny how each of us experience a different affect from a mental standpoint. Now, as far as weight.....child, that is a whole discussion within itself! I went from 160 pre-hormones to a, as my friends say *thick* 235. most of my weight is legs, but I have meat allover. Amazing what a little E will do!

Kylie

1 hour ago, Kylie said:

I concur! The mental changes are so, well, odd. I once ( in my previous life ) was very prone to outbursts and getting upset easily. Now I let a lot roll off my shoulder. I am more observant now and tend to have an even mood. It is funny how each of us experience a different affect from a mental standpoint. Now, as far as weight.....child, that is a whole discussion within itself! I went from 160 pre-hormones to a, as my friends say *thick* 235. most of my weight is legs, but I have meat allover. Amazing what a little E will do!

Kylie

I’m sure those curves are beautiful on you.

4 hours ago, Kylie said:

Kylie

I have skinny legs. I could use a little of that action.

11 hours ago, Kylie said:

Kylie

The weirdest and therefore most interesting thing I always find is that trans women tend to report their moods have become more stable on hrt snd trans men report exactly the same.Each has a biologically based superficial reason for their experience but clearly something more is going on.

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, BC said:

The weirdest and therefore most interesting thing I always find is that trans women tend to report their moods have become more stable on hrt snd trans men report exactly the same.Each has a biologically based superficial reason for their experience but clearly something more is going on.

I had someone compare this to trying to run your car on diesel or trying to run your i-phone with a Windows OS. Your brain doesn't like running on the wrong mix and it causes you stress. Once you're running on the right fuel, things level out and become easier to deal with.

Hugs!

Jackie, I really like the analogy to using the correct fuel. I'd never thought of it that way before, and it makes a lot of sense. 

To be frank, I'd never considered the WHY before; I've just been happy for the mental changes. Particularly the calmness and happiness I now feel. In my previous life, I was very angry and repressed quite a bit. Now I don't have to. Or need to.

I never really had much chest hair, maybe a dozen in center. Now only a few there, but a bunch around nipples. Growing a few more back on my bald head. Original hair color on head and groin is starting to come back.

4 hours ago, Marcie Jensen said:

Jackie, I really like the analogy to using the correct fuel. I'd never thought of it that way before, and it makes a lot of sense.

True.

4 hours ago, Marcie Jensen said:

In my previous life, I was very angry and repressed quite a bit. Now I don't have to. Or need to.

This is true for me as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add a few other things I have noticed lately. I know hormones effects how stuff happens in the bedroom. I just kinda wasn't expecting to have to relearn some thing. That I was doing for 20 years. 

I have also noticed some thing interesting the other day. The other day I was checking out a woman. I couldn't tell you diddly squat about what she physically looked like. I was just paying attention to her boots. After she left it hit me. I paid zero attention to her physically. Which was weird as im attracted to woman. 

4 hours ago, Red_Lauren. said:

I paid zero attention to her physically. Which was weird as im attracted to woman. 

I find that now days I also pay more attention to a woman's wardrobe than what's under it.

Like @Red_Lauren., I've found myself noticing what women are wearing and not what they look like these days.  Frankly, it's not only a novel experience, but I'm perfectly fine with it. And, thank God for boots! After all, 'tis the season...😊

• Forum Moderator
57 minutes ago, Jandi said:

I find that now days I also pay more attention to a woman's wardrobe than what's under it

That is a great insight.  Perhaps well followed by "what kind of person is she."   The noise, imperious need has quieted.  The world has more to it than the need for release that once controlled me.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Root Admin
On 11/18/2021 at 4:40 PM, Kylie said:

I concur! The mental changes are so, well, odd. I once ( in my previous life ) was very prone to outbursts and getting upset easily. Now I let a lot roll off my shoulder. I am more observant now and tend to have an even mood. It is funny how each of us experience a different affect from a mental standpoint.

Similarly, I find the mental changes the strangest. Where before I would easily throw on anything just to get through the day, I find myself now searching for certain outfits based on how I feel, and can be reduced to tears if I feel I'm not putting my absolute best foot forward in whatever I'm attempting (Being it a certain outfit, or any other project I'm attempting).

-Kirstyn Piper Plummer

• Forum Moderator
9 hours ago, Red_Lauren. said:

I was just paying attention to her boots.

Well OK, but you didn't describe the boots! What were they like? Leather? Buckles? Color? Heels! You're holding out!

I'm joking... mostly...

Hugs!

44 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

Well OK, but you didn't describe the boots! What were they like? Leather? Buckles? Color? Heels! You're holding out!

I'm joking... mostly...

Hugs!

Remember, there’s nothing more awkward than a man who makes no eye contact and just stares at your boots.

21 hours ago, Jandi said:

I find that now days I also pay more attention to a woman's wardrobe than what's under it.

When I was younger I often confused that which a i wanted to look like (gender) wit that which I was attracted to (orientation). Took me a very long time to work out the difference.

I never thought I would have such mental clarity. References from The Matrix seem a little too on-point. There was always so much mental static in my head, it felt like the scene where Neo meets the Architect. Hundreds of monitors in the background. Each one simultaneously expressing a different opinion. Now all that is gone. It's just me, one thought, one voice.

24 minutes ago, Elizabeth Star said:

I never thought I would have such mental clarity. References from The Matrix seem a little too on-point. There was always so much mental static in my head, it felt like the scene where Neo meets the Architect. Hundreds of monitors in the background. Each one simultaneously expressing a different opinion. Now all that is gone. It's just me, one thought, one voice.

Yes, the mental clarity was an unexpected surprise. It’s like the clouds clearing and the sun finally shining through. It is the best part of transition.

• Forum Moderator
17 hours ago, Erica Gabriel said:

Remember, there’s nothing more awkward than a man who makes no eye contact and just stares at your boots.

Garrison Keillor creator of the radio show, A Prairie Home Companion always closed his show by saying something like: "The people of Lake Wobegon, where the introvert stares at their shoes, and the extorvert stares at your shoes."

Mindy🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋

On 11/17/2021 at 3:10 AM, Marcie Jensen said:

I've noticed being colder (in Arizona, of all places!) at night and the different way my body smells. And after almost 11 months, I'm actually getting real curves--this one I hadn't noticed, but several friends have pointed it out to me. And, I find I'm a whole lot calmer than I used to be.  I'm told everyone experiences the effects of HRT differently and that it's a process. 

Jugs!

🤗

Here are my experiences on 14 months of oral estradiol alone:

Skin: First change I noticed after starting. It feels smooth and soft as a baby now. Cuts more easily and takes longer to heal.

Breasts: I am well into B cup, Tanner stage 3. The first bras I bought early on do not fit anymore.

Body hair: It is growing more slowly, I can go about a day longer now before feeling the need to shave.

Facial hair: No effect.

Head hair: There was no major hair loss before starting HRT, but my hair is much less oily and finer in texture now. The color seems lighter and it has a bit of a natural curl too now that it is longer. I constantly get compliments on my hair!

Body fat: Any changes are imperceptible to my eyes, but my clothing does not lie. The only surviving pair of men's pants fits way worse than any of the women's pants I have.

Libido: Very low to nonexistent. It "works" technically but not really. If I can get there, orgasm is more of a full body experience.

Emotional: I have never felt better, almost like testosterone was the poison responsible for how awful I felt for years. The better mood has helped me be more social and reconnect with friends and make new ones. Along with the support around transitioning from all sides, this really helps the mood too.

Other: I am also more sensitive to the cold but it could be the lack of body hair or the type of clothing. My scent is noticeably different after I sweat a lot. The smell of sweaty men bothers me way more now.

But...

The bad news is that I have the first signs of posterior subcapsular cataracts in both eyes, which is a known effect from taking steroid hormones like estradiol. My ophthalmologist says they are very minor and treatable but something to keep an eye on (no pun intended).

Love,

~Audrey.