• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I'm old, but I finally realized

Jamey-Heather

I guess I'm finally done with my lies. I am a transwoman. I want to shout it from the rooftops. 

when I first came to the same conclusion as you have it was and still is a great feeling. once you are true to yourself it is easier to show your true self also. The hard part for me was letting others know and being open about it. I hope your journey is smooth. 

• Forum Moderator

Fifty isn't that old. I'm older than you are and I certainly don't FEEL old. I mean, sure that might be the hormones talking but I feel better now than at any point in the last thirty years.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

"Better late than never".  I have certainly enjoyed self acceptance despite starting the process at 63.  10 years later i often feel peace.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 2 weeks later...

I woke up at age 52 so you're definitely not alone.  I wish I'd had my realization years ago but you can't look back.

Don't worry about the number!

Make sure you keep young friends, but don't forget old friends too!🤭

I recently had my birthday and my (much) older friend gave me a whopping TWO year discount on the cake! He blamed it on his impending dementia bless him. Keep it up!🤗

I told my aunt as far as I'm concern, when hitting 50, I'm counting backward anyway Benjamin Button style.

Anyway my sister told me I needed to take cues from how other women act and behave...

I told her I have. I've been watching Downton (Dowdy) Abbey and taking my cues from one no less than Maggie Smith.

When you (should you) get to that grand age, it would be a well deserved privilege to bother people.😌

On 11/21/2021 at 7:36 AM, Charlize said:

"Better late than never".  I have certainly enjoyed self acceptance despite starting the process at 63.  10 years later i often feel peace.

Hugs,

Charlize

Charlize, I am still a newbie to this. It's only 6 months since I began to come to terms with my identity. Self acceptance seems to be the key to countering my fears of non-acceptance by others.

What helped you the most in achieving and maintaining self acceptance?

• Forum Moderator

Perhaps time was my best friend.  I found that each little step i took shoed me where to step next.  I think we all travel different paths.  For a long time i dressed in secret.  Then i started to slowly experiment in the world.  Even getting gas was an adventure. Therapy and being here with others perhaps helped the most.  I have a place to share my journey with others who understand.  Each time i do that i understand myself better.   My therapist helped me see a lifetime pattern.  I realized that was never going away.  Accepting that as a reality moved me to accepting myself as i am.  Today i can accept being a trans woman.  

Hugs,

Charlize