• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I am a Marine Veteran, I am 60 years old. I am told that I don't look my age at all. Anyway, I am really worried at my age that I am too old to transition. I want feminized features but also concerned about how I will be treated at the VA...

I don't have any health problems except controlled blood pressure

• Forum Moderator

Nah, you're good. We've got girls that were older than you when they got started.

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

I mean that's valid, there's less effect when you're older, but I didn't start until I was 48 and I feel fantastic. You gotta be you, you know?

Hugs!

Just now, Jackie C. said:

I mean that's valid, there's less effect when you're older, but I didn't start until I was 48 and I feel fantastic. You gotta be you, you know?

Hugs!

Yes, thank you. I have not been me anit is only getting worse. I know who I truly am and I am going to transition, I realize it's a process...

• Forum Moderator

Yeah, things you need to consider is overall health, but to quote my endo, "We can usually find a regimen that your body can tolerate." Still, do your best to improve your health if you can. The healthier you are, the better your body will tolerate the treatments and the better the results. I mean it's not magic, but I make a pretty good woman, right?

Hugs!

58 minutes ago, Jackie C. said:

Yeah, things you need to consider is overall health, but to quote my endo, "We can usually find a regimen that your body can tolerate." Still, do your best to improve your health if you can. The healthier you are, the better your body will tolerate the treatments and the better the results. I mean it's not magic, but I make a pretty good woman, right?

Hugs!

Yes, you look great. I am healthy, just the blood pressure, but it's not bad... I have to pass a dot physical every year, and all my blood work is great.

Started at 58. People do notice some changes, but for me, physical changes are great, sure, but mental relief was not expected and even if I never get any closer to a stereotypically feminine look I feel so much more alive and happy, so worth it.

Thank you. I know that it will be worth it. I am just not comfortable in this body and with who I am. I'm worn out trying to act a male part when the woman inside is desiring to come out.

• Forum Moderator

If you look around on this site, in general we've had good luck with the VA. Sounds like you're going to be in good hands!

Hugs!

• Forum Moderator

Hi, Loren.  Welcome!

I started my transition at 62.  Five years later, I am loving it. 

I vividly recall one day, six months or so after starting HRT.  I was getting ready to go out, putting on lipstick, and I suddenly realized that those lips in the mirror weren't mine!  Seemingly overnight, they had changed.  Not long after, I looked in the mirror and saw a woman's eyes looking back at me. 

And then, of course, there is breast growth, and the redistribution of fat.  I have hips now!  I never had much body hair, but what I had disappeared entirely after about a year.

Everyone reacts differently to HRT, but there is a very good chance that your body will feminize in subtle, but noticeable ways.

I have heard that the VA, in general, is good for trans patients to deal with.  It may vary a bit from office to office, depending on who the staff are, but I mostly hear good things.

Regards,

Kathy

I started at 68. On Estradiol and Progesterone. No problems. Progesterone is supposed to have less side effects than Spiro.

Welcome to the Forum.

Jamie.jpg

• Forum Moderator

Loren, I have been going to the VA for years. That was the first place I came out at. They have been fantastic so accepting.  I can use any bathroom I choose.  I get all my meds from there. I have a GYN that monitors my HRT. She is fantastic also.  Start with your  primary. They will get you a referral to mental  health. For an evaluation.  It is all down  hill from there.

Hugs,

Kymmie 

Loren, I began my transition at the young (now) age of 69. I am now 73 and have just gone through bottom surgery last month, the day before Thanksgiving. I As long as you are in good health I don't see any reason to worry, imho. 

Loren , I began my transition at 63 and now 65 and doing ok going for bottom surgery this coming year can say never too old  

7 hours ago, KymmieL said:

Loren, I have been going to the VA for years. That was the first place I came out at. They have been fantastic so accepting.  I can use any bathroom I choose.  I get all my meds from there. I have a GYN that monitors my HRT. She is fantastic also.  Start with your  primary. They will get you a referral to mental  health. For an evaluation.  It is all down  hill from there.

Hugs,

Kymmie 

Thank you for your reply. I just know how the people in the VA has acted towards LBGTQ over the years and that is what has made me nervous. I guess things have changed...

6 hours ago, BrandiBri said:

Loren, I began my transition at the young (now) age of 69. I am now 73 and have just gone through bottom surgery last month, the day before Thanksgiving. I As long as you are in good health I don't see any reason to worry, imho. 

Wow, thank you for that. I guess I shouldn't feel that it's too late

6 hours ago, Andrea Jean said:

Loren , I began my transition at 63 and now 65 and doing ok going for bottom surgery this coming year can say never too old  

I guess I shouldn't think I'm too old...

20 hours ago, Jamie68 said:

I started at 68. On Estradiol and Progesterone. No problems. Progesterone is supposed to have less side effects than Spiro.

Welcome to the Forum.

Jamie.jpg

Really... I have read that they don't use too much progesterone... but does it do the same as spiro?

23 hours ago, KathyLauren said:

Hi, Loren.  Welcome!

I started my transition at 62.  Five years later, I am loving it. 

I vividly recall one day, six months or so after starting HRT.  I was getting ready to go out, putting on lipstick, and I suddenly realized that those lips in the mirror weren't mine!  Seemingly overnight, they had changed.  Not long after, I looked in the mirror and saw a woman's eyes looking back at me. 

And then, of course, there is breast growth, and the redistribution of fat.  I have hips now!  I never had much body hair, but what I had disappeared entirely after about a year.

Everyone reacts differently to HRT, but there is a very good chance that your body will feminize in subtle, but noticeable ways.

I have heard that the VA, in general, is good for trans patients to deal with.  It may vary a bit from office to office, depending on who the staff are, but I mostly hear good things.

Regards,

Kathy

Question... How long after you started HRT, did you begin to see some changes. I guess at this stage in life I have heard that you might not even see breast growth. And yes I would like some hips too. I already have a nice rear from what I'm told...

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Loren said:

Question... How long after you started HRT, did you begin to see some changes. I guess at this stage in life I have heard that you might not even see breast growth. And yes I would like some hips too. I already have a nice rear from what I'm told...

After about two weeks, I could feel my breasts tingling.  After a month, there was noticeable growth.  By two months, I was worrying about how to hide them in boy mode.  So the rate of development is quite respectable.  By six or eight months, they were mostly done growing.

I won't kid you: the quantity of growth is underwhelming.  When I got fitted for a bra, I couldn't quite fill an A-cup.  Now, at five years, I am probably an honest A.  They are outrageously cute, though, and do give me an undeniably female profile.

Chances are good that your breast growth will follow a similar path.  Though, of course, there are no guarantees.

1 hour ago, Loren said:

Question... How long after you started HRT, did you begin to see some changes.

Hi Loren! I am happy to answer your question as well though I am in my early 40s. I started HRT in September 2020 and I recently wrote a pretty detailed summary about my experience on oral estradiol in another thread. While age is one factor that can influence the effects, it is not the only one. While I have been happy with the physical changes, they are nothing compared to the emotional ones. It has lifted the weight of crushing depression, and having even slight body features that reflect who I am inside has been such a relief from the nonstop dysphoria I felt for years. 

Love,

~Audrey.