• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Poll: About 5% of U.S. Young Adults Say Their Gender Is Different Than That Assigned At Birth

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

As the grandparent and step-grandparent of two teenagers who are non-binary / Trans, the percentages of folks do seem to be going up.  As far as my pair go, they are both wonderful young people who will make wonderful adults as long a we support them and love them.  Both know who and what I am and I know that in my direct grand child's case that I am why (Singular THEY) felt free to be themself is because I was in their life.  As they put it to me, I had "tenderized" their parents and their step parent had dealt with her child and others before.   

5 hours ago, VickySGV said:

As the grandparent and step-grandparent of two teenagers who are non-binary / Trans, the percentages of folks do seem to be going up.  As far as my pair go, they are both wonderful young people who will make wonderful adults as long a we support them and love them.  Both know who and what I am and I know that in my direct grand child's case that I am why (Singular THEY) felt free to be themself is because I was in their life.  As they put it to me, I had "tenderized" their parents and their step parent had dealt with her child and others before.   

Wow. This is pretty similar to something my nephew is going through. He is 14 and trying to figure out who is in terms of gender. It doesn't help that his father is a West Point graduate and former infantry officer and that my sister, his mother, was also an army intelligence officer. They have accepted me and my transition, but have been very reluctant with regard to their son. (I'm using male pronouns here because my nephew is questioning and doesn't know what to do. Male pronouns are his preference right now.) It took me a year to convince his mom and dad to get him into therapy, and they have refused to get him any sort of HRT or otherwise acknowledge his gender dysphoria. They claim he's "just seeking attention."  His therapist, and I, agree that he does suffer from dysphoria, and his therapist has gone on to suggest that his parents are actually impeding his progress by their denial and refusal to open up their minds about this. I'm told their attitude is pretty common. I would add that this, imho, is not a byproduct of West Point or the army--I enlisted in 1980 (long time ago) as an infantryman, went through Ranger School and Jump School and stayed for 24 years. I have happily transitioned fully, and I'm not unique. This is has parents' parochial attitude.

Sadly all too common these days.

• Admin
3 hours ago, Marcie Jensen said:

I would add that this, imho, is not a byproduct of West Point or the army

My son who is the father / step father here is a Naval Academy graduate and soon to be retiring Nuclear Power Systems Officer.  I think you are very right there.  As with many parents though they have their dreams on the line here, and the life that they rightly love seems in danger.  Be the ONE person in your grandchild's life to fully love and accept that child though and it will literally be a life saver for him.  A suggestion for you is to look up Khalil  Gibran's poem "On Children" from his work The Prophet and let your son and wife read it. 

3 hours ago, VickySGV said:

A suggestion for you is to look up Khalil  Gibran's poem "On Children" from his work The Prophet and let your son and wife read it. 

Khalil Gibran is one of my favorite philosophers. (I realize he is technically a poet, but...) I also own a very worn and dog eared copy of The Prophet. I whole heartedly recommend it to everyone regardless of their faith.

I would also recommend the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayaam and the Gulestan of Sadi. Both were Persians, both had great insights into the nature of humanity and are worthwhile readings today.