• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Just some anecdotes about my job

What's up everyone!

I'm a pretty closeted trans guy who applied for a job that mentioned welcoming certain candidates (including LGBT+ people). I applied under my deadname and didn't mention anything during the interview.

Surprisingly, I got hired, and while filling out some forms, I got to the "preferred name/pronouns" section. After staring at it for probably 30 minutes in fear, I decided to just take a leap and put in he/him and what I've wanted to go by.

Nobody brought it up, but messages from the company instantly switched to using the correct name. On my first day, the badge had my preferred name, and my work E-mail has it as well.

This is shocking because I'm pre-everything. I can't bind because I work 10 hours. I got short hair and dress masculine, but that's about it.

I've heard some people slip up with the pronouns, but they ALWAYS correct themselves without hesitation or apologies.

I wasn't expecting this, but it has definitely felt affirming to me. I'm still, SOMEHOW, in denial, but this at least shows that I feel pretty happy existing in a work environment as a (very short, young looking) guy.

Well, just wanted to write this somewhere because I've got nobody I can talk to, and I've actively been hiding my badge every time I'm around people I know.

I'm overall very content, the only issue now is I feel a lot more self conscious about my voice. Man... My standards for work environments boutta be way higher after this.

7 hours ago, Roach said:

Nobody brought it up, but messages from the company instantly switched to using the correct name. On my first day, the badge had my preferred name, and my work E-mail has it as well.

This is so great! Thank you for sharing!

That's awesome @Roach . Good on you for reading a leap of faith, however spontaneous. What an amazing opportunity to be you. 

• Forum Moderator

What a great employer!  Thank you for the positive story.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 1 month later...

That's pretty cool, @Roach. I'm glad you got a pleasant work experience. It just goes to show, when you put a little faith out there, things might turn out better than you think.

For sure. Thank you for reading everyone. It's continued to be a positive experience through the past several weeks. I am learning a lot!