• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Do you isolate when you're depressed?

Heather Shay

Initially, when I feel the blues coming, I do withdraw myself from others. I do so purposely so I don't say something odd or out of turn. I honestly hate feeling that way. To get over the feelings gradually, I feel for what feels right in the moment. Should I draw or write? Maybe I should put that harder work to the side and read something more cheerful and fantastical. Eat more fruits and vegetables- I might be insufficient in something. Run or walk this day- I haven't been out in how long? 😅 I'll go to this place today- maybe the atmosphere will help me recharge.

It's not a cure all, but I find these things generally work to heal me.

• 3 weeks later...

finding my way through the fog now.  longest episode in 3 years, been about 2 months straight.  started as some relationship/self-worth issues and after a couple weeks I had a long bout of dysphoria start.  I started leaning into getting busy as that usually takes my mind off things while short depressions run their course.  It's been about a month now and I'm seeing burnout pile on top of the other 2 issues, so it's only getting worse.  It's been bad enough that I've had 2 occasions where I thought about detransitioning.

Airing it out a little at my local support group helped a little bit.  Therapy helps, I moved my next appointment up to try to get help sooner, but it's still a couple weeks away so working to hold everything together until then.  Basically for the small depressions that I've gotten used to since I started transition I can usually find my way out with plenty of journaling, making art and physical activity.  For this big one, I just don't know. It reminds me of who I used to be and I never really coped with it constructively before so I'm still lost now.

I hate isolation, even on a normal day.  If I don't start out depressed, isolation can get me that way fast.  When I'm depressed, I get clingy and needy.  I start searching for a dessert and an available lap to sit on.  Apparently I am a "high maintenance" partner when it comes to physical affection and emotions 😉

On 9/4/2022 at 11:30 AM, Heather Shay said:

How do you pull out of depression?

To be honest, been depressed for years mainly, because I feel alone.

Humans need humans, yeah not 24/7 but we evolved needing the support of others. Some more than others.

Sadly for me, even in a room of crowded people, with even offers for help, I don't trust it and I don't trust people to help me. I'm already isolated mentally. I don't like the idea of paying a person to be moral and reasonable, but I guess the hope is doctors are just that cuz regardless people need others to help fix specific issues. You can't just reflect off a mirror, you still need light from an outside source, otherwise you can't see the important details missed.

Conclusion make many friends. It still is a challenge for me to make friends, but the second thing needed(other than friends) is the will to want to get better. You can't expect to get better if you've got no will behind it. You want to pull out, then you'll need a lot of energy, will, time, patience, and support. Hope this helps, all I know is I got lots of work.🤷😩

I tend to retreat into myself and eat my feelings, vegetate watching mindless films and TV series or disappear into books.  

Sometimes I need the peace to recharge my energy, but other times just getting out and sharing a laugh with my friends lifts me for a while.  It's hard to be flat when your friends can make you literally cry laughing, that's always a good incentive to do more.

I have a friend who uses jogging (and medication) to manage his depression, he's just stuck at it until the habit became something he enjoyed!

I saw this chart recently that showed the different happy chemicals and what activity we can do to produce them:

Four-happy-hormones-1-e1603855201997.jpg

Like Deedee and some others, I retreat into my own self and shut the outside off until I can deal with it and myself. This includes social media or any other contact. Living alone makes this really too easy to do. :(

As an aquarist and having just started a saltwater reef system, I will spend all my time researching it. No need to be any more my female self than put my hair on , add some ear rings and a necklace. Don't have male clothes any longer.

No need for makeup nor shaving. Have to let facial facial hair grow for at least for next weekly electrolysis session. Hair growth now is so slow and is all white. :) Laser took care of the black quickly.

This only lasts a couple days then I will have my self back venturing out and about until the next time.

Have a Nice Day All

Big Canadian Hug

Joni Steph

It is a very unwelcomed visitor when depressed. I went through 25 years of and times of bad depression isolation seemed like a friend but was actually an enemy. I don't have any magic words to make it go away, but seek help and don't stop until you find something that works. I found a combination of meds, CBT, and a bit of mindfulness in my own way helped me to become depression free for eight years now.

• 3 months later...
On 9/20/2022 at 9:41 AM, Kelly2509 said:

finding my way through the fog now.  longest episode in 3 years, been about 2 months straight.  started as some relationship/self-worth issues and after a couple weeks I had a long bout of dysphoria start.  I started leaning into getting busy as that usually takes my mind off things while short depressions run their course.  It's been about a month now and I'm seeing burnout pile on top of the other 2 issues, so it's only getting worse.  It's been bad enough that I've had 2 occasions where I thought about detransitioning.

Airing it out a little at my local support group helped a little bit.  Therapy helps, I moved my next appointment up to try to get help sooner, but it's still a couple weeks away so working to hold everything together until then.  Basically for the small depressions that I've gotten used to since I started transition I can usually find my way out with plenty of journaling, making art and physical activity.  For this big one, I just don't know. It reminds me of who I used to be and I never really coped with it constructively before so I'm still lost now.

I'm back!  and realized this was my last post back in september before vanishing for 3 and a half months.  Isolating indeed!

I did eventually find my way out of the fog and de-isolated, though I must say last few months were rough in general for stress.  I've put on a little weight, my exercise routine and diet have floundered and I have spent a lot of time, or at least more time than I'd like, not really putting any effort into the little affirming things that make me feel "right".  To my credit I never gave in to the thoughts of detransitioning and kept up with the Big Stuff like making sure I'm taking my meds properly and my weekly electrolysis, but it did take some time to get back some of the energy/motivation/effort I needed to do all the little things like using the voice I've been working on for almost 2 years, doing my hair or makeup, stuff like that.

• Forum Moderator

@Kelly2509 I'm glad you are back. I have long periods of isolation, in one right now as a matter of fact - but - like you, I'm hanging on and making my way back and fighting it. Congrats on your strength.