• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

After surgery question

Cheyenne skye

Just got home from surgery. So my doctor suggested wearing oversized underwear or boxers to prevent fabric from rubbing and chafing. Roughly how long after surgery did you go back to regular underwear?

Just curious 🤔.  

• Admin

To begin with, my size changed and what had been "oversized" was, to my chagrin, now the better size after all.  I did wear the cheapest cotton underwear for about 11 months because you are definitely messier for about a year with GCS.  Also pads that women use for that reason fit those better.  As for your good "sexy lingerie" pants, go ahead and wear them for evenings with SO's once you hit about 6 months when the swelling is finished and you are free to use your new bottom area.  What you used Pre-Op is now history and some to come is a matter of experimentation on finding your new comfort.  Listen well to your body and it will tell you.  I will have 10 years Post Op next January.  Good days.

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, Cheyenne skye said:

Roughly how long after surgery did you go back to regular underwear?

Personally, I went out and bought some disposable cotton granny panties a size larger than I wore pre-surgery. I wore pads for about 3 months after my surgery. The pad sizes I used became considerably smaller and smaller after the first 6 weeks. I was down to regular length number 2’s by then. YMMV as everyone is different.

Just to clarify, by "regular underwear ", I don't mean come hither it's sexy time, I mean like Hanes multipack cotton bikinis. 

• Admin
48 minutes ago, Cheyenne skye said:

Hanes multipack cotton bikinis. 

Those can come back around the  6 months I mentioned after your swelling has gone down and you not longer wear pads on a daily basis.  I wear the belly button touching briefs at my 10 years because I have too much tummy, but the bikini ones of that type can come as your overall swelling goes down, and get this, you are the one to figure out when to do it for YOU.