• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Applying For A Job As Male

Guest Neuro

Guest Neuro

I have the body of a woman, so my legal stuff says 'F' after everything. It has been one of many things holding me back from getting a job.

However, money is super-tight right now and I want to help my family as well as myself. I am 18, after all.

I am wondering, if it is legal--can I apply for jobs at places like FYE, Blockbuster, Hot Topic or other normal jobs as "Michael, M" or do I have to check "Sarah, F"? Is it a legal alias, or is it against legal documents and I can go to jail?

I'm not on T or anything, but I think I pass *fairly* well if I'm in the right clothes... My voice is a lil' high, but I've heard higher (maybe). So it wouldn't be too awkward, and I might not even have to explain that I am trans.

So my 2 questions are,

a) CAN I APPLY FOR JOBS AS MICHAEL, MYSELF?

b ) HOW CAN I EXPLAIN TO THE INTERVIEWERS THAT I AM PRE-OP TRANS, IF THEY ASK FOR SOME REASON? WILL THEY BE ABLE TO NOT HIRE ME BECAUSE OF IT?

Please put input, I live in Texas so links to anywhere that laws are listed will help c: I don't know how to search for this info myself, or else I'd already know OTL.

--Michael

P.S: any input on being young and working as trans will help, too. This might be my first job. I reeeeally need one, so I can continue going to therapy (necessity) and fulfill my agreements of cosplay with my group this September (hobby)

Apply as yourself (Michael, M) and explain to them that on documents you need to be listed as "Sarah, F." If you're applying to a stores like that that have many branches, they most likely have a policy for how to handle hiring transpeople. I'd be totally upfront about it. Your medical status is your business, but you should tell them that you're a transsexual who has not yet changed his legal documents (you can say 'in the process of changing' if you want. They will be able to hire you if them understand what is going on. If you try to hide it, it will not make sense to them and they will probably not hire you. Try to be boring (i.e. more hirable). Pass as well as you can at your job. If you make it easy for them to deal with your trans-ness by not throwing it in their face by being really mixed about your presentation, they will find it easier to hire you. You want to make it so that once you're hired they're thinking something like "Oh yeah. That's Mike. Cool dude. We pay him under a different name, but whatever."

I know I'm not from here, but I'm pretty sure if you don't lie, you won't go to jail. With the application, just include a separate page with a paragraph that explains what the deal is.

This advice is based off my own experiences working in legit (i.e. non-music) jobs. This is what I do/aim to do when applying. It's worked out so far. I'm pretty happy in my job now, even though my hours are kind of pure insane like.

Guest Isobelle Fox

I live in Texas too. Its a tough place in some respects, for this kind of thing.

I dont have a "legal" answer to your question, but I would offer this advice.

If you feel compelled, as many of us do, to have your identity validated in this particular way, then it would probably be more appropriate to fill out your job application with the information that is still legally recognized by the state- even if it is wrong. Its not a good idea to fill job applications in with things that are not legally verifiable. So, use your legal name and your legal gender status. BUT, tell them, at some point early enough in the hiring process or in your employment that you prefer the other name. Do it early enough for them to learn to use it without having to break the habit of calling you Sarah.

As for telling them you are a pre-op trans person, I personally would not. I might express that I prefer Micheal, and I might express that I prefer a different set of pronouns because I am more comfortable with them. But I would personally do so without labelling myself or proferring explanation. If they ASK, I would answer honestly, but otherwise, just be WHO you are, rather than WHAT you are, and let people accept it, or not.

If you get hired by someone thats worth working for, in my opinion, they will hire you as Sarah but acknowledge you as Micheal, and until you are able to legally change your status, thats probably the best you can expect.

It might be hard to find that, though. People who will take this journey with you are out there, but this is not the most accomodating world. Be careful, and good luck.

Guest Dani4Life

Regardless of what you put on your application you need to present a certain set of identification in order for your employer to hire you as they have to report your earnings to the federal government. Also they have to file your W-4 and whatnot.

Point is, they need to know you're legal identity. So that just leaves section B of your question... which I don't think I could really offer advice on since I never even tried to come out at work...

Guest Sarinah

I do believe you need to put your legal name down. Although on some applications they have a blank for alias or nicknames, and some applications leave a space at the end for comments. If neither of those options are available then you should tell them at your first meeting.

Guest Treasa

In my experience (as someone who did the hiring of trans people, not as a trans person getting hired), I'd have to say that there are a couple of things that are important about job applications:

- You don't usually have a box for M or F on the application. I think it's a law, but in any case it opens the company up to discrimination lawsuits from a majority of the population (that is, women).

- The people doing the hiring generally need to be able to verify (some of) the information on the application. They need to be able to contact references, past employers, et cetera. Make sure that the people you list (and your educational institutions, if applicable) know you under the name given. Most applications also ask for other names you may have been known by... and that's where you'll be outing yourself on the application.

- Most employers will not hire anyone if something on the application or resumé doesn't match what they verify. They will even fire that person later if a lie comes out–no matter how well they have been performing. I don't know if this applies to names, especially since you'll have to identify yourself before you are actually hired (assuming you're not employed under-the-table).

You probably won't be in legal trouble for using an 'alias' on your application (because it a perfectly legal practice in the US, so long as you aren't trying to commit a crime), but the I9 and W4 (and other government paperwork) will have to be filled out with your legal designation, so you will have to inform (to some extent) the person on the other side of the table about the potential discrepancy.

For me, I was much more concerned with the character of the people I hired than their transition status, but I was managing a very liberal office environment, so YMMV.

Good luck, and I hope that helped,

Treasa

Guest Treasa

Oh yeah, and I might be wrong. I am not a lawyer, and do not take any of this as legal advice.

Sorry I had to add a disclaimer.

Good luck again,

Treasa

Guest Leigh

check the work place discrimination laws. if there is nothing in state law protecting gender-gifted people, then...you should probably just live with the lie.......i know it sucks, but, if you really need a job, sometimes you just have to play the social game....

hope i've been helpful.

peace&love

leigh

Guest Neuro

Thanks for the info, everyone! I think I can put down Michael as an alias nickname next to Sarah, and even if they have gender boxes (a lot do!) I can probably leave them blank, right~

I may have to work as female (like Leigh said, live the ol' lie) but I reeeealllly want to start early, so I don't have to make a transition during work. I figure, maybe if I'm just cool and vague with it nobody really has to care, aside from legal stuff.

I think I would present better to a business as a confident man than a dudelike skinny little girl who isn't graceful, cute, etc. So it's for the good of business, as well as my own gleefullness. XD;

id be careful

i mean iv not had a legal name change or anything!

im going to present as female to get the job and then transition while on the job

its easier that way and when you start you transition your thearpist will be able to rack up some legal documents so they cant sack you

Guest bronx

One thingI did b4 I had my name and markers changed was I would write my other name and then put "angel" and then my last name, that way for legal puposes I wasn't following the law. what i found was that in interviews I was asked what I wanted to be called. After I got hired I would then go to my mana ger or HR and tell them that I didn't want anyone to know me by my other name and they would just give me my pay check in the office, soon after I strated getting direct diposit so that helped also. I did have to get the paystubs from them as well but they worked with me.

You're in TX like I am and as far as I know there are no laws here to protect us. I met a guy who is in transition and dosen't have his name changed and he has run into some problems with some employers because of it. i suggest that you aply to larger companies not the little guys, 'cause their corporate offices tend to be a little bit more understanding.

As for the gender section for now you should mark F because when it comes to your SS number it has to match what your ID says if not you will be given a hard time.

It is possible to live as yourself and work and follow the Rules at the same time. I did it for 10yrs, just stand your ground and be consistant, that's the key along with attitude. Don't come off rude but state that this is what you want to be called and you would like to pick your checks up from the office. Again don't say anything until after you are hired. But write your name as I said b4 so it isn't a totally shock to managament.

Good Luck, hope that helps a little

Guest Neuro

Thanks for the advice Bronx and Leo, my therapist said she was going to help look up some things too. Your info seems very logical *nod nod* I just mainly don't wanna bring a lot of drama to a job by transitioning later, like to keep everything low-key =w= Putting "Michael" in parentheses should help.