• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Medical transition path (my reality versus media stories).

Trans22

There has been a bit if anti-trans media published lately - trans-women competing against cisgender women, and more relevant to my post here, children being pushed/encouraged into medical transition then telling the story of how they pay for it the rest of their lives.  I live in regional Australia, well over 1000km from the nearest capital city and my transition started in May-2022.  My path toward medical transition began with being assessed as having a mental health problem - my GP never mentioned gender dysphoria so I can only assume that they viewed being transgender as a mental health problem.  I had already had one psychologist confirm me as being "clinically transgender", so I was encouraged to seek confirming opinion from another, independent psychologist.  The next step was "informed consent" with a psychiatrist and this was followed by an endocrinologist asking questions that I could only interpret as their confirming me as being "clinical transgender" before placing me on hormone therapy.  My path to medical transition is very different from the stories being portrayed in the media.

• Admin

Thank you for this post, hon.  The same can be said of the vast majority of us on this site, and of those I know elsewhere, including IRL.  The right wing media, in particular, loves to highlight every de-transitioner, especially VIPs, as well as any study that helps their anti-trans cause.  We will be fighting this battle until another "bogeyman" comes along to take our place.

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator
12 hours ago, Carolyn Marie said:

The right wing media, in particular, loves to highlight every de-transitioner

Yes! This is my biggest pet peeve with today’s media. Why is it that these few de-transitioners can be allowed to have such an impact on the lives of so many of us? We’re finally living our best life because of our transition yet one de-transition story is allowed to make headlines in an effort to change that. There stories are not atypical or representative of the actual situation at all. It usually only serves a temporary political agenda and those doing it are overlooking the overall benefits of transition for the majority who truly need it. Where are those stories?