• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Good Things Trans People Have Done For H8ers - Trans Heroes

VickySGV

• Admin

We celebrate Trans Day Of Visibility on March 31.  Over in another topic I had mentioned the achievements of some Trans people that have actually improved the lives of even our H8ers, who do not realize it or acknowledge it.  I posted about two Trans people and another  member added a third.  Lets make this topic a way to name heroes and what they have done.

Lynn Conway who was the engineer that did the designs that make computers function as well as they do.

Wendy Carlos who took the Moog Synthesizer and digital music and made it wonderful.

Donna Zwarra. who created EKG monitors for Hewlett-Packard  that had heart rhythm identification.

Lets keep this list growing.  I can think of many more, but I will let you add them.  . 

Jeanne d'Arc - (1412-1431)  Soldier, defender of France, later canonized as a saint.  Jeanne's gender is a source of debate, but it is likely that Jeanne was transgender or intersex.  Jeanne led the French Army in several successful battles against the English, before being betrayed and captured.  Jeanne dressed openly as a man and a soldier, and this ultimately led to her execution.  Although Jeanne did not live to see the ultimate success of the French army against the English invaders, the groundwork laid during several campaigns was indispensable.  Jeanne is an archetype for female and transgender soldiers, and a symbol of duty and loyalty.

Enriqueta/Enrique Favez -  (1791-1856)  A surgeon and soldier of Swiss origin.  Born female, but lived as a male, graduating from the Sorbonne in Paris and serving in the French Army during the Napoleonic Wars.  After the war, Favez moved to Cuba and married a Cuban woman.  Unfortunately, the authorities found out about Favez' birth-assigned gender, and it resulted in trial, prison, forced divorce, and later banishment from Cuba.  Undeterred by the government's coercion to live as a female, Favez continued a life of service to the poor as a nun in New Orleans. 

Aidan Key - Author of the Trans Bodies, Trans Selves manual for educators, advocate for gender-neutral bathrooms, and founder of the International Gender Odyssey Conference

The Wachowski sisters - They made the Matrix. Every time I see a transphobe saying "the matrix is real open your eyes sheeple" I start laughing.