• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

ELCA Weighs In For LGB and pointedly Trans People

VickySGV

• Admin

https://www.elca.org/News-and-Events/8191?fbclid=IwAR0br7aG0FJcE8exb0tPDau-UKCplKfz5UbE4XBIW9G5Vsbw-3fPmVzXjtU

Their Bishop admits that while individuals in the church are not supportive of Trans people, that denominational doctrine is highly supportive and that recent legislation in antithetical to overall denominational canons.

The ELCA has a long history of tolerance and inclusion that is ever evolving. One of my mentors in seminary and beyond and one of my dearest friends is an ELCA pastor. He was one of my two thesis and credo advisors as well as my professor of reformation theology. He also happens to be gay. When he came out, the denomination offered him a choice; he could either pursue his relationship and be defrocked, or he could step down from the pulpit, teach and remain "chaste in singlehood." This was 2003, and he chose the latter. 

Since then, while the denomination is still debating the issue, individual ministers have been given autonomy and same sex marriages have become commonplace. The Rev. Eaton's statement is another positive and affirming gesture in a denomination with a long history of inclusiveness.

• Forum Moderator

The ELCA as most groups can be very supportive. I'm glad to see that their policy in print is circulating in areas where politics is using us.  By the way i wasn't sure what ELCA stood for.....Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.  I'd never seen that before.

Hugs,

Charlize

It's always nice to see some support.

I was raised in the Lutheran Church and I'll admit this does give me a tiny bit of joy.