• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Former VP Pence Says He Would Ban Trans People From Military If Elected

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

However I can do it, I will most assuredly VOTE AGAINST him. 

Pence was Trump's shadow.  He won't ever get close.  He should retire and live happily with his wife.  They seem to have a good marriage and ought to enjoy their golden years away from all the turmoil.

• Forum Moderator

I hope he fades into the sunset and takes his attitudes with him.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Definitely.  I see Nikki Haley flopped here in NH the other day.  Her Trans comments fell flat with the audience. 

There are so many Trans people in the military now (actually, always have been), and they are OUT now.  They contribute their talents in the service to our country just like everybody else does.  So, I think the good news is I believe it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to roll-back the clock on the military Trans policy.  AND it would actually harm military readiness. 

"Pence argued that focusing on “unit cohesion” was his goal in supporting a ban."  This is spoken by somebody (Pence) who NEVER served in the military.  He has no clue what he is talking about and it's the same arguments that racists and bigots have used to promote discrimination in the military in the past.

I would never vote for anybody that flouts anti-Trans policy or used any sort of intolerance as part of their platform ... but unfortunately that is the Norm for that section of America now.

14 hours ago, KayC said:

"Pence argued that focusing on “unit cohesion” was his goal in supporting a ban."  This is spoken by somebody (Pence) who NEVER served in the military.  He has no clue what he is talking about and it's the same arguments that racists and bigots have used to promote discrimination in the military in the past.

Unit cohesion is perhaps a good argument... but it carries a HUGE assumption: That unit cohesion is defined as "comradely, platonic, heterosexual, male bonding."  Not having a military background, I can't say if that's a good thing or not.  I think that sort of thing makes more sense in the old days where much of the military was made up of draftees/conscripts.  If you don't like what you're doing or fighting for...gotta have something else to bond you together and avoid differences that can cause infighting.  But today?  I don't think the unit cohesion argument makes sense in the way they mean it.

I do wonder how well trans folks are suited physically/medically for military service.  And women too, for that matter.  But that's more a reflection on the physical standards than anything else.  Folks have commented for years that soldiers carry way too much stuff on their backs, leading to back, neck, hip, and knee issues for even the most physically fit.  I suspect that folks who are undergoing a variety of medical treatments may have some issues meeting the military requirements.  If they are already in the service, perhaps that might lead to some labor being shifted to teammates who might not appreciate that. 

To me, these things are an argument for re-evaluating what the military's purpose is, and what the anticipated tasks are.  I'm not qualified to answer those questions, and I don't think folks like Pence are either. 

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 156 Guests (See full list)

• MaeBe
    • Betty K
    • Ashley0616
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • MaryEllen
    • Vidanjali
    • Ivy
    • earthpatch
    • Petra Jane