• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Violence Breaks Out In Front of School Board Meeting Site

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

The only difference between this scene and one in a deep Red state, is that in a Red state there wouldn't be any pro-LGBT demonstrators outside the school board meeting.  BTW, Glendale is considered a "very liberal" city as far as voting.  I therefore think quite a few of these folks were from outside the area.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Oh heavens, 12 minutes away from my house.  I think more will come out on this, and I do think the ones with the fists deliberately came to make trouble and show it off.  When they pan out on the shot though, the actual number, while violent were small. 

16 minutes ago, Carolyn Marie said:

The only difference between this scene and one in a deep Red state, is that in a Red state there wouldn't be any pro-LGBT demonstrators outside the school board meeting. 

Maybe, but maybe not.  I know a city near me in my deep red state where it could happen.  Although it is just as likely that there wouldn't be any demonstrators from either side standing outdoors, as most folks are too busy working. 

I wonder if in the areas where one of the sides is more in the minority, that minority is more vocal.  At least around here, it is the minority of loud radical leftists (and less often, loud ultra-right supremacists) that usually create the conflict and disorder.  Perhaps California has the same issue with a minority of loud right-wingers?  I think there are folks who believe that volume makes up for lack of numbers. 

Crazy.  

Pride Month is pretty widely known.  If you don't like it, don't participate.

There are plenty of designated "months" that mean nothing to most people unless they are directly involved.

All this Brown Shirt stuff is scary.  But I suppose that's the point - intimidation.

Were the ones wearing the "Leave Our Kids Alone" the Anti-LGBT protesters? 

If so, they should follow their own demands.  Please!

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, Ivy said:

All this Brown Shirt stuff is scary.

That is exactly it.  These grown up bullies, while a small minority want to dominate.  Right wing GoP politics seems to have provided a license.  

Hugs,

Charlize

• Admin

Quotes from KABC TV Channel 7 web site--

Three people were arrested for various charges, including allegedly using pepper spray and obstructing officers, according to the Glendale Police Department.

"While most of the protest was peaceful, a small group of individuals engaged in behavior deemed unsafe and a risk to public safety," police said in a statement.

A dispersal order was given just after 6 p.m. and additional police resources were requested "to ensure the safety of the Glendale community would not be compromised."

Board members later unanimously adopted the resolution to declare June as Pride Month.

The "Parent's Rights" contingent.

I'm 100% in favor of parents' rights.  And I don't hold public schools in particularly high esteem....but if things don't go one's way with a school board vote, something tells me that homeschooling or an alternative school is the answer.  Not pepper spray and futile disruption 🙄 My, how strange and illogical life is these days.  

8 hours ago, awkward-yet-sweet said:

My, how strange and illogical life is these days.  

Alas,  all too true…