• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Omg I Broke A Nail!!!

Guest Eth

XD ... my poor boyfriend had to listen to me whine just now. rofl

Okay... Just yesterday I'd finally figured out the PERFECT way to cut/trim/file my nails to make them look smooth and rounded just the way I wanted. I grow my nails out for a looooooong time. Mine were an inch long.

Just now I broke one. I freaked.

Get this... When faced with an extremely emotional event or crisis, I WANT to cry to get the feeling out, but can't because my body refuses to react that way. Somehow, when told that my mom may either be in jail or a mental institution (yeah.. apparently that's where she is right now) I don't budge. When told that a family member died I somehow can walk out to the kitchen for a snack without pausing. My brain thinks one thing and my body does another... Almost as if it's a separate entity incapable of emotion.

...I cried over breaking my nails... Cried because I had to cut them all off. I feel kinda pathetic XD

Well. We now know where my emotional priorities lie. :blush:

So of course I chop my nails off ;_; and whine to my boyfriend about it XD - the things he puts up with for me... rofl. Of course, being a guy he tries to find a logical solution to my problem and talks to me about my repressed emotions and how they're coming out in different/unexpected ways. I guess he was trying to be nice/ease my pain XD - but I'm just sitting there thinking "THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!! MY HANDS AREN'T PRETTY NOW!!!!!!!!!"

Yeah...

Fun times XD

愛 Eth

P.S: Oh wow. I'd forgotten what it feels like to have your fingers touch your palm when you close your hand... That's kind of weird.

OK, Eth,

You just reminded me that I have to trim my nails before the wedding I'm shooting tomorrow - I've broken two and trimmed them just enough to get by (I broke them on car doors on my way out so I didn't have time to trim them all).

One day those emotions will burst out and you just won't be able to hold tham back.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest ~Brenda~

Eth hon,

It sounds to me that your reaction to breaking a nail is really a release of pent up emotion from other dynamics in your life. News of your mother, the death of a family member, all upsetting I am sure, but at the time of the news you were not ready to react emotionally. Your mind was still absorbing it all. This delayed reaction and releasing emotion over seemingly small things is very common. I do the same thing sometimes. I have had major traumatic events happen in my life and at the time I am emotionless. Later (sometimes much later, like a year or so) I'll just break down and cry. The trigger could be something small like tearing a stocking while putting them on. Tearing a stocking is not something to cry over, but in reality, I was finally releasing my emotional reaction of the events that I could not emotionally respond to at the time.

Your nails will grow back hon,

Love

Brenda

Thanks Sally and Bernii ^^

And Bernii, a family member didn't actually die- I was just using that to make the comparison. The last family member to die was my step-mother's cousin and that was like a year ago and didn't really effect me at all (you'd feel the same if you knew her...). Though I may be facing something like that soon... My grandfather has cancer- but he has had it for a few years and is somehow managing to hold on so who knows.

And yes... my nails will grow back and I'll know how to cut them from the start... so they'll be even prettier when they're done (I hope XD).

愛 Eth

Guest Elizabeth K

Part of grooming as a girl. I know it seems silly to be so sad over something that seems so trite, But like you said, they were looking so pretty, but it all is part of life, so learn to protect your nails. And look at women's hands. Nails on the dominant hand are usually shorter. So you can train your nails to grow out - use a clear harener, push buttons with your nuckles and such.

And most women today do not keep long nails - too active a world.

Lizzy

Guest angie

XD ... my poor boyfriend had to listen to me whine just now. rofl

Okay... Just yesterday I'd finally figured out the PERFECT way to cut/trim/file my nails to make them look smooth and rounded just the way I wanted. I grow my nails out for a looooooong time. Mine were an inch long.

Just now I broke one. I freaked.

...I cried over breaking my nails... Cried because I had to cut them all off. I feel kinda pathetic XD

Well. We now know where my emotional priorities lie. :blush:

Eth

I used to laugh at women when they cried after breaking a nail as my old self.

Then,I started transition.I had inch long acrylic beauties I kept maintained every other week.

One day,while on deliveries,I broke one heading to my next stop.I burst out in tears,bawling

like a little girl.Then I laughed at myself for doing exactly what other women I have know would do.

I had to call my ex to tell her my reaction to a broken nail.Her response?"Well,you are definently turning into a girl.Only a woman would cry over something as trivial as breaking a nail." (grin)

Ahh women.We are without doubt,some very emotional people,aren't we?

Angie

Guest Emily Violet

i have the worst habit for a girl i chew my nails ive been doing a good job not to but im kinda have a bad habit of em im painting them so i dont anymore

and i act the same way when i break mine when they grow out enough

Guest Charlene_Leona

For those of you that want strong, long & beautiful nails start taking Biotin & Gelatin Supplements to help your nails and hair grow. Especially if you are on HRT because that will cause brittle nails. I found out the hard way. I dislike acrylic nails and glue on's they just damage the nail bed. I Get Spring Valley Brand from Wal-Mart I use a super potency Biotin 5000 mcg supplement that is for Skin Hair & Nail. The Gelatin is a 12 grain. You will find within 2 to 3 months your nails will start to thicken but your hair and skin will be almost immediately evident. The 2 bottles cost around $12.00 so it's not an expensive alternative to costly acrylics.

Eth,

Gelatin is a very important part of strong nails and healthy hair, they are actually the same material.

You can gelatin into your system through your diet as well, think about a nice little dessert that there is always room for - and it wiggles!

That's right, Jell-o is good for you!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Joanna Phipps
Eth,

Gelatin is a very important part of strong nails and healthy hair, they are actually the same material.

You can gelatin into your system through your diet as well, think about a nice little dessert that there is always room for - and it wiggles!

That's right, Jell-o is good for you!

Love ya,

Sally

OOOOOO that lovely stuff as a beauty secret... now I have an excuse... buttttt dang I prefer jello pudding not jelly... oh well might have to come up with some wayt to do both... giggles

Guest AllisonD

I had a similar experience when I broke a nail. I fell to pieces. Over a broken nail. That was a defining moment in my initial years of HRT that screamed, "Too much, the levels are too high." I was under the care of both a psychiatrist and an endocrinologist at the time, but neither had prior experience with MTF HRT. They were both sympathetic, interested, and actively engaged in managing my care but in that place and era (Syracuse NY, late 70's) no better-trained care was to be had. It taught all three of us that at least one criteria for assessing dosage has to be stable/reasonable emotional responses. I suppose there is so much data on assessing proper blood levels now that physical & emotional responses are considered secondary indicators, but this happened after I had been on estrogren and progesterone (subsequently dropped) for years.

Anyway, now if I found myself having extreme reactions over relatively minor triggers for more than a couple of days I would get my bloodwork done and have my levels checked. It is far too easy to lose your emotional footing, to spiral into depression, to crash and burn if your emotional gyroscope goes open-loop. If you happen to tip yourself into the abyss, that pistol you've been keeping for emergency pain relief, or the bridge abutment you have logged in your mind against the day you need it may claim you before you realize you only needed to have the doctor back the dosage down a little. I know, I've been there.

I know the other responses have been pretty light hearted, but my own experience scared me and I learned a lesson that I wanted to share.

Allison