• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Nursing Professor Discusses Hospice Care for Trans Patients

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

At 75 there is a good chance i'll be there before too long.  No rush however.

I did ask my son to use my legal name on any graveyard monument(if any).  He can put a ne: Charles if he wants  but please also Charlize.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator
51 minutes ago, Charlize said:

He can put a ne: Charles if he wants

If it were me, I would insist on née ("she was born as") rather than né (he was born as)

I am reasonably confident that my care in my final year(s) will be consistent with my gender identity as it is a protected asset in my country, I am post op, legally transitioned, and my family are supportive. I fear for people who will go through this in an atmosphere of prejudice, not having medically or legally transitioned, or with a hostile family. In that last period, you are totally dependant, and that gives people power over you. Too many people use that power badly. You would think that the profession of aged care would attract compassionate people, but the pay structures and staff shortages mean it can attract people who cannot hold jobs elsewhere due to their poor dispositions. And church based facilities can push their own, often cruel, agendas.

The news story mentions people who transition after 55, but aged care mistreatments will affect those who transition earlier in their lives as well, so I am guessing they mean many late transitioners don’t fully medically or legally transition.

Hugs,

Allie