• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Article: Breast Cancer Screening for Trans People

Carolyn Marie

@KathyLauren We're definitely in uncharted waters.  We'll probably know a lot more in 20-30 years.  In my case, I'm intersex and I never grew breasts at puberty.  I'm the same in my 30's as I was in childhood, just with the addition of mild localized testosterone as I started into my boy life.  I'm just assuming that I'll have to get checked starting at 40 like everybody else.  I plan on encouraging my MtF trans friends to do likewise. 

My HRT prescriber was very quick to educate me about doing breast self-exams from the very beginning, and to monitor for changes and lumps beyond the expected growth and tenderness from taking estradiol. She also makes sure I have regular mammograms, and I have had one so far since starting HRT (none before). Now that I think my breasts are settling down after three years, I feel like I will notice something quickly.

Love,

~Audrey.

I had breast cancer at an 1989, I was 25 years old with about C sized breasts (I was still in boy-mode back then). 

Breast cancer can effect anyone at at any age regardless of gender. It's just 'risk factors' change with gender and age. 

I'm pretty sure the gender difference is a result in the amount of breast tissue.  Genetics has a lot to do with it as well, and I have the gene mutation that makes me a candidate. 

Mine was cured with a lumpectomy and chemo. Only the nasty scar remains. 

I get mammograms every year since then. 

If you have breasts over 40, you need a yearly mammogram. If you feel a lump at any age or breast size, you need to see a doctor immediately. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 92 Guests (See full list)

• VickySGV
    • April Marie
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Amy Powell
    Newest Member
    Amy Powell

1. Ctheone
      Ctheone
    2. EliMo_gaytor23
      EliMo_gaytor23
      (28 years old)
    3. Goose
      Goose
    4. Olivia47
      Olivia47
    5. QuestioningTaylor
      QuestioningTaylor
      (19 years old)
    • Birdie
      That's good, glad things will resolve on their own. 😉
    • Mirrabooka
      @awkward-yet-sweet, bummer about the road trip that isn't. Next time!   @KymmieL, good luck with the job hunting, you deserve it.   @Birdie, I'm happy for you that you have a new connection who seems so supportive!   @Ivy, enjoy!   The issue I referred to in my little grizzle the other day looks like it will resolve itself without conflict. Everything is good. 🙂
    • Mirrabooka
    • missyjo
      cute skirt April   yup I always keep perfume n mascara n panties with stud earrings even in boy mode
    • Mirrabooka
      One of the reasons that I hesitated to sign up to this forum originally was because I couldn't think of a femme name for myself. That stems from the fact that I wasn't seeking one, and still don't, although lately I have become a bit curious.   My username has geographical and astronomical connections. It is an indigenous word that describes the Southern Cross constellation.
    • Justine76
      Again, thank you for these posts @Sally Stone. As a person just embarking on their own exploration, seeing through an eagle’s eye is invaluable. I can understand the desire to compartmentalize. I’m coming out at 47 and have several military affiliated friends. I never served myself but know them via hobbies we share. I’d be nervous about coming out to those whom I didn’t know very well, but some I do know better are openly ‘queer’. Meeting these people definitely challenged my existing stereotypes about the military in a positive way; more regarding those who comprise the services as opposed to stated protocol/mission. 
    • Ivy
      I had heard a little about this, but not much. Thanks for posting it.
    • Justine76
      Can definitely relate. I always have something going on, whether it be painted nails, capris or just ‘a walk’. Just a reminder ‘she’ is there. 
    • April Marie
      A denim above the knee belted button-down shirt dress with sandals.  
    • Vidanjali
      Sounds delish so far. Today I made sourdough bread for the first time. My friend gifted me starter grains she got from etsy which came with a recipe. Giving someone sourdough starter as a gift is like giving a pet as a gift. Kind of a weird thing to do - somehow enriching, but, "here's your gift, more responsibility!" Anywho, it's a 3 day process to make this bread on top of feeding the starter weekly. It definitely needs some tweaking. The bread consistency came out great. Crusty crust and soft inside. But it didn't rise enough despite seeming to be proofed well. And I followed the instructions to make it as sour as possible which I prefer, but it's only mildly sour. I plan to try other recipes and compare. But my cousin who (willingly, lol) took some of my starter told me she recently made pancakes with it which were delicious. So I'll definitely try that soon too.
    • Timi
    • VickySGV
      Congratulations.  
    • BobbiSkunk
      Mine is just the feminine variant of my current first name, and Skunk.  Cause skunks rule.
    • BobbiSkunk
      Latest good recipe find? Lemme see...  I'm trying to recreate a local family restaurant's refried beans at home.  Right now it's kind of hit or miss (Mostly miss) on coming close to it.  Currently I'm tweaking the ratio of beans, bacon fat and smoked paprika and lime juice.  Current ingredients I've been able to sus out though are: Pinto beans, shredded colby jack cheese, bacon fat, smoked paprika, chipotle pepper flakes, diced onion, garlic and a lil bit of salt.  When I feel comfortable with the exact amounts, I'll update.  ^.^
    • KathyLauren
      I have Church of Scotland roots: my grandfather was a C of S minister.  So quite apart from my general happiness at reading some good news, this particular bit of good news makes me feel especially happy.  Thanks for sharing it, @DeeDee!
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.