• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Coming Split?

awkward-yet-sweet

**Disclaimer - I don't intend this topic to be divisive.  This isn't about the right/wrong of the issue, and not even really about the politics of it.  My intention is for it to be more about personal feelings and planning for the future in uncertain times. 

Talk of US civil war or a "national divorce" is once again in the news.  A recent poll showed 53% of Republican voters saying it is likely, even within the next 10 years.  My close circle of friends and family spent quite a bit of time talking about it tonight. I live in the rural South...deep red Trump country.  So, probably 50% of our population (or more) is in favor, with folks who feel the same way moving in from other areas.  I'm not sure how likely it is, but I would hope a separation could be peaceful, as war is always awful.  I'm not sure what form it would take - large areas made up of multiple states or smaller ones like mini-republics.   So, what do y'all think?

1.  Do you think a split of some sort is likely?

2.  How do people feel about it in your area?  United with the rest of the USA or separated?

3.  Is your area trans-friendly?  Do you feel like you fit and are safe in your community?

4.  Would unrest or political/national changes make you consider relocating?

• Admin

There has been much talk about the northern and rural portions of CA wanting to split with the southern portion, and certainly the urban areas.  I have no idea if such is the case in other liberal states, which tend to be geographically much smaller.  I doubt that an actual split would happen here, as there are things in place that would work against it, like the state constitution.

As for a national split, IDK, but it seems unlikely.  In the Civil War there were economic issues as well as cultural driving it.  The issues at play now are less economic and more ideological, which is not as big a driving force for most people, IMO.  Also, before the Civil War the split was pretty clean along the north/south boundary (Mason/Dixon Line if memory serves).  These days it is much more of an urban/rural split, in almost all the states.  So you'd have Atlanta, for example, splitting from rural Georgia, Detroit splitting from rural Michigan, etc.  Much more murky than in 1860.

Metropolitan areas in CA are fairly trans friendly, but as its been noted in recent events, you get 40 miles outside L.A. City and it's closer to rural Georgia than urban L.A. regarding trans rights.

Things won't change enough in what remains of my life to make me change locations, especially since I'm in the urban area. 

Good topic, AYS.  Hopefully this will stay civil and polite.  We may have political differences, but what brings us all to TP is being trans, and that smooths out what might potentially lead to arguments.  Age is also a factor; I'm not the rabble rouser I was ten years ago, and having once been a P.O. I'm not prone to such notions as "defunding the police" and other such left wing ideas.

Carolyn Marie

1 hour ago, Carolyn Marie said:

As for a national split, IDK, but it seems unlikely.  In the Civil War there were economic issues as well as cultural driving it.  The issues at play now are less economic and more ideological, which is not as big a driving force for most people, IMO.  Also, before the Civil War the split was pretty clean along the north/south boundary (Mason/Dixon Line if memory serves).  These days it is much more of an urban/rural split, in almost all the states.  So you'd have Atlanta, for example, splitting from rural Georgia, Detroit splitting from rural Michigan, etc.  Much more murky than in 1860.

Good observation.  I have seen the same thing about the mixed populations...although where I live, the state is primarily rural with only geographically small urban pockets that could be isolated and coerced.  While during the 1860s the North was far more urban than the South, I'm not sure how the urban areas of the South felt in the Civil War - might make an interesting study.

I do think there are serious economic issues, though.  Taxation, international trade, and local self-sufficiency and autonomy are major considerations where I live.  The last 3-4 years has seen incredible growth of our local economy, and introduction of industries focused on serving our area alone to reduce reliance on outsiders.  Maybe this is less prevalent elsewhere?   

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 244 Guests (See full list)

• SamC
    • Josie O.
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • awkward-yet-sweet
    • Karen Carey
    • Birdie