• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shortages in estrogen patches

Hcgreyson

Just read about a shortage on hormone products for 2023.  Last article said most things had evened out but that patches were still in short supply.  That was what I was leaning towards as a delivery method.  How hard are they to get?  If I get a prescription. Called in is my local pharmacy likely to be out now or often?  Don’t want to finally get a prescription only to have trouble actually filling it. 

anyone using them or know if that’s likely to be an issue?

I’m 47, so not sure how safe pills would be as an alternative and injection without an auto injector creeps me out. 

• Admin

I don't think its time to panic, hon.  You should, first of all, talk to your doctor about your options.  I'm 69 and have been taking the pills almost from the get go.  So don't rule that out.  I haven't yet heard of any issues getting patches.  As safe bet is that major providers such as Express Scripts will be most likely to have them.  They're also often the most cost effective, b/c they'll provide a 3-month supply if your doctor approves.

Good luck!

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

if you can't find patches at any point either a gel or spray is an alternative topical route.  I'm fortunate as my local pharmacy is one of the rare compounding centers and they make up a cream that my doctor prescribes.  I had an issue with patches coming off as i work the farm.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I haven't had any trouble getting patches, even though I have heard rumours of shortages for months.  I get three months' supply at a time, and my pharmacy needs 24-48 hours notice that I want to renew the prescription.

• Admin

No trouble with patches for me either.  The ones I hear most about are some of the injectables.

My Doctor advise me that patches were in short supply atm, so she gave me a 2nd script for Gel. 

Sure enough no patches till 28 August

Hugs

MaybeRob

There has been shortages of different forms of hormones in the past years, which is a worry for us who rely on hormones for our health, but on the bright side, it has forced some to switch to other forms of application, and there have been lots of reports of a jump in development after switching. The theory is that we build some resistance to whatever method we are on over time, and switching can allow better absorption. 

Hugs,

Allie